Deathspell Omega
Drought

by Azazzel USER (1 Reviews)
June 26th, 2012 | 22 replies | 2,976 views

Review Summary: A welcome addition that will leave you thirsting for more.

Deathspell Omega deliver a refined arrangement of their sound on Drought by compacting a potent handful of tracks into just 21 minutes while retaining the group’s illustrious suffocating density. Being their only EP with more than three songs and each being under 5 minutes, Drought is a distilled cogent sampler of their best attributes with a palpable aftertaste of things to come and is an excellent choice for anyone attempting to cut their teeth on Deathspell Omega’s unique brand of chaos for the first time.

The range of the music itself is dynamic, panning from thick and knotted oblique melodies and frenzied chaotic aggression to woefully angelic post rock/ambient influences. Each track offers its own brand of madness and complexity showcasing a different facet of Deathspell Omega’s unmatched style. Mikko continues to utilize his raspy growls to great effect and the drumming performance is still an insane mix of furious blast beats and impressive fills. With everyone on the mark the group continues to pave new ground through the metal sonic-sphere without missing a step.

The opener “Salowe Vision” paces itself with doomful conviction and enough mournful purpose to act as both a beautiful stand-alone song and introduction, something rarely implemented successfully. What proceeds is domination by a hellish aggression you would expect from the very best of Paracletus. Twisted and dark these songs rip you through a murky atonal undertow without pausing for breath. Yet each member’s contribution is clear and discernible thanks to the excellent production. The album’s latter half while at times slower and circumspect provides a balanced contrast to the rest of the EP providing a more stoic take on their obfuscated sound like the notably multifarious closer “The Crackled Book of Life” With such diversity, in the wake of the albums end listeners will be hard pressed to reach a mutual consensus for the best track which is likely to shift upon repeated listens.

Drought feels like a fitting epilogue to the two years since finished epic trilogy, perhaps not in ideology but rather a reaffirming summation of their accomplishments as well as a continued willing exploration, providing assurance that Deathspell Omega will be able to evolve their sound in new and interesting ways in the future and hopefully avoid the stagflating state of their genre whose conventions they continue to advance.

Sputnik's official false metal authority (4)
Be sure to bring water......

June 25th 2012

First review guys. Would appreciate some feedback. What's your favorite track and why?

June 25th 2012

Good first review, I will pos. You descriptions in general were great, especially ones like:

Your third paragraph sadly is rather derivative and track-by-track in nature, which detracts from the overall quality of the review. Still though, it was a good read.

"The Crackled Book of Life" is my favorite track here simply because of its atmosphere and how sinister it is.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

June 25th 2012

That third paragraph took the longest to write because I was trying to avoid being too xyz about track descriptions but I thought I needed some more meat to fill the review out.

I'd love to see where Salowe Vision would have gone with another 5 minutes.

June 25th 2012

Just try to work your comments about tracks into the overall description of the album instead of devoting an entire paragraph to talking about each one in order. Pro tip: you don't have to mention every track by name in a review so long as you convey through other means what they contain.

For example, where you say:

You could just as easily say:

panning from thick and knotted oblique melodies and frenzied chaotic aggression of "Abrasive Swirling Murk" to woefully angelic post rock/ambient influences contained within "Salowe Vision".

Doing this would render your entire third paragraph unnecessary. It is a huge flow-breaker to go from talking in such nice and colorful ways about the album and its instrumentation to a blocky, bothersome track-listing with brief asides. Just let it run its course naturally and talk about the album in general, not so much its individual pieces. You can most definitely still mention them, just don't waste your time giving us a track-by-track.

SgtPepper
June 25th 2012

Review is good. The summary needs to be edited. But you do a great job in your descriptions like Crysis said.
Anyway, Azazzel, you did a fine job. Hope to see more form you and welcome to Sputnik!

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

June 25th 2012

Yeah, don't take my criticism as me not liking the review. Your writing definitely has potential, I'm just trying to tell you where you might want to tidy things up a bit.

BirthRite

pos

June 25th 2012

Thanks for you're input guys, I revised the intro and, I think, translated my song descriptions to better fit a general review.

MTObsidian

Job well done! Pos'd.

Tyrael
June 26th 2012

20798 Comments

Good job, some of your descriptions are spot on. Pos'd.

kingsoby1
June 26th 2012

Good job and crysis' insights are spot on

Ovrot

June 27th 2012

thirsting for more

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

June 29th 2012

My review is the unloved ginger stepchild.

YUJOS
July 1st 2012

Very good review for a fisrt one Azazzel. Hava a pos.

February 3rd 2013

new album better be out this year. I'd love to see a continuation of the direction they took on paracletus, but with longer tracks

Hawks
February 3rd 2013

Why longer tracks? Paracletus was pretty much perfect.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

February 3rd 2013

call me old fashioned but I'd be all too stoked if Paracletus was 20 minutes longer. Im pissed its out of print on amazon just when I'm about to buy a slew of albums off there, its quite my favorite black metal album.

kingsoby1
February 4th 2013

Got on vinyl picture disc :]

February 4th 2013

my gahd, thats sick dude. i wish i had the patience for vinyl, its the proper way to collect music