Walk the Moon
Walk the Moon

by Jacob R. STAFF
June 23rd, 2012 | 27 replies | 12,212 views

Review Summary: A sense of imagination that shoots through the clouds.

Upon considering the band name Walk the Moon, I postulate that there are two options regarding its origins.

1. The band’s referring to “walking” our moon like a domesticated animal, eager to dispense energy. This denotes an acute sense of self-worth on the band’s behalf; in other words: nah.

2. It’s a silly title for silly music, for silly people to have a silly time.

Things are rarely this black and white, sure, but what does happen to be clear in this instance is that it’s futile to try and analyze Walk the Moon with an imposing magnifying glass. There’s no deeper meaning here, no hidden clues leading to an even more hidden message that happens to be, of course, subliminally etched into the tracks at hand. If I were to dissect the closing track, “I Can Lift a Car”, and try and grasp the meaning of the at least superficially vapid chorus line of “I can lift a car up all by myself”, well then I can imagine that I could come up with some ridiculously farfetched hypothesis about how the song is alluding to self-assurance, or believing in one’s self, or insert phrase here found on the back of your nearest box of Kix. But it isn't about the specificities - what matters is what makes the group feel capable of lifting cars.

This is why I emphasize to only study the important things, such as this album’s message as a whole - it isn’t about the grandiose rhymes, despite what first impressions may suggest. It isn’t about the kinda uncomfortable anatomical comparisons found within the lyrics, either, despite what discerning music reviewers may will you to believe.

Let’s just focus on the keen sense of fun that bleeds through “Lisa Baby”. Let’s instead gather our efforts towards understanding how exactly exploding synths can fuse with electric guitar pulses so mesmerizingly. There are shimmers of brilliance at each turn, and even more glimpses of the potential actually being realized. Walk the Moon understand what tools they have at their disposal: a singer that sounds almost as delightfully rustic as Maps & Atlases’ David Davison, a sense of imagination that shoots through the clouds, and a passion that’s comparable to, well, if Passion Pit did all the right things. Let’s not get wrapped up in petty comparisons, though, and instead appreciate the youthful vigor that Walk the Moon display. If only all debut albums were this successful.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade
SOHN TremorsSZA Z
TheTeleGuy83 (4)
"We got no money but we got heart!"...

"Anna Sun" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDVW81bXo0s

deepintheorchard

Hey this isn't bad.

SgtPepper
June 23rd 2012

I've been seeing this band's stuff being advertised in a lot of places. The psychedelic art has me very interested. Good
review, Omaha.
Have a POS from me, mate.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Haha, thanks guys!

It's a really fun album, but doesn't have a lot of lasting value.

chambered49

interesting

June 23rd 2012

Hey there Omaha. I've been meaning to check out this band for a while now.

"It’s a silly title for silly music, for silly people to have a silly time."

Sounds right up my alley.

Hey dude!

it's really good stuff. Check out Quesadilla and Shiver Shiver. Do you have Spotify?

June 23rd 2012

No, it seems like most of the tracks are on youtube already.

Oh, ok. There you go then! ;]

char504
June 23rd 2012

pretty much have to agree with this reviewer... its a really fun, youthful album. though I think what really sets Walk The Moon apart from anyone else is their live shows. Here's some clips from their MTV Push live performances: http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2012/06/18/push-walk-the-moon/#more-139121

sportsboy
September 3rd 2012

i'd jam to it if i was with friends, but without some encouragement it's pretty banal, like a lot of its kin (fun, imagine dragons, mumford & sons)

Digging: Miami Vice - Palm Haze

JWT155
September 9th 2012

Tightrope is awesome.

jacobdaquioag
September 12th 2012

This whole album is awesome

October 6th 2012

this is such fun to listen to

Spluger
October 21st 2012

Anna Sun is a great song.

DaveyBoy
November 4th 2012

20856 Comments

Like the similar 2012 album from Imagine Dragons, what one thinks of Walk The Moon's self-titled 2nd LP may come down to prior exposure. With 6 tracks re-recorded from their debut LP & 2 others from a teaser EP, there isn't much new here for existing fans. Those new to the Cincinnati quartet, however, are sure to be impressed by the contagious hooks, infectious rhythms & killer choruses on offer here. The album is undeniably front-loaded & there's some dubious lyrics included, but this vibrantly playful LP is not only fun, youthful & eminently danceable, but also sufficiently quirky & diverse. Recommended Tracks: Anna Sun, Tightrope, Jenny & Lisa Baby.

Lakes.