Rorcal
Heliogabalus

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
June 22nd, 2012 | 195 replies

Review Summary: I don't know where this came from or where it was hiding but boy oh boy are you in for a treat.

Rorcal is a sludge/doom/metal/post-hardcore band from Geneva who has reached their ultimate degree of creativity and breadth. Fancying the sludge/doom aspects more than any other prior release, "Heliogabalus" is a juggernaut of an album in its purest sense. This seventy minute display of assertion follows the life course of Roman Emperor Heliogabalus in a conceptual manner. Basically Heliogabalus was enthroned into position at the young age of 14 until he was finally assassinated at the age of 18. During his life course he greatly disrespected his Roman heritage with a combination of serving shunned gods, engaging in homosexual acts, prostitution, humiliating his own family, and having his subordinates murdered for showing attention to a lower ranked member of his present day society.

Rorcal have captured the essence of Heliogabalus' short reign of disparity which was their ultimate influence into following their desire for a thicker, more effervescent type of sound. However their interpretation of liveliness was to make this release as dirty and sludgy as possible. "Heliogabalus" is at times hellish with droning terrains, scary, aggressive, but overall always gloomy. The depictions of an evil soul carrying out his every desire are displayed with some of the thickest, crustiest guitars you've ever heard. The drums main focus is to impress every moment of every opportunity into your anima, leaving no stone unturned as you're completely stripped of every guard you thought you had coming into this album for your first listen. The death vocalizing shrieks are constant and evil just as the Roman Emperors utterances, screaming blasphemous denunciations at his insignificant subordinates; clouding his domains with fear and animosity. Fully claiming its territory with dominating drum chants and electric keyboard surges, the unrelenting atmosphere never fears its ability to show its brute strength with every pound of its anger and will.

As soon as its strike is fully released, the assault of penalties is left with a lurking, contemplating mind that yearns for its next plot. From the beginning of "Heliogabalus" we’re taken through act after act of genius interpretation in successive order of desire and carry through; a complete utter distaste for anything moral, for anything sane. It's length, although outwardly long in appearance, is perfect as it’s just long enough to evoke the oppressive stains of our history into your mind. You're constantly beaten into the ground without let up until your relief comes, which is the final assassination of your oppressor. Even once the smoke has cleared you're left with scares and stains of a memory that will never be forgotten, a molten fire of hindsight, screaming, calling you into its fiery depths, never letting go.

With this tableau of heights hiding so humbly in the voids of time it can't help in being one of the most satisfying finds of recent memories. Rorcal have truly taken expression to a whole new level; embarking on what could be the greatest quests of their existence for future matters. But with "Heliogabalus" they have left an eternal mark on what music is truly capable of as well as their own rubicon. With efforts to describe what some may say is a miracle, I'm only left with saying you have to see/hear this for yourselves.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

June 22nd 2012

Basically everyone needs to stop what they're doing and give this album a listen.
I can't see how anyone can be dissapointed. I actually had to cut myself short
on this review as I could've went on and on about various aspects. But I hope
everyone enjoys the read. I don't come accross 5's too often but when I do I
drink Dosequis. All jokes aside, get this now.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAMKTj1z3Gw

^Live version, I couldn't find a studio version but I highly recommended dl'ing
.. as the band has openly stated that it's free for anyone wishing to

If you want to read the full story of Heliogabalus, see:

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Buzzkillr
June 22nd 2012

Saw these guys live in a cellar filled with candles and smoke and I later I bought this album from the guitarist.

Pretty cool stuff, but not very accessible due to it's length and genre.

Relinquished
June 22nd 2012

great review man, the band got better on this one.

June 22nd 2012

@ Buzz - That sounds like an awesome show bro. I'd kill to see these guys live.

"Pretty cool stuff, but not very accessible due to it's length and genre"

But bro it's so cohesive and I've listened to plenty of albums that are lengthy like this that are tiring but when you understand the concept behind this you just never want it to stop and the flow is so perfect imo and I can't help in wanting to immerse myself in this.

@ Relinquished - Thanks bro, yeah this is their azimuth hands down and by far. I've almost never been moved and rewarded so much by an album before such as this.

JamieTwort

20662 Comments

This sounds very interesting.

Great job on the review bro.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

June 22nd 2012

I'm not even lying, this is one of the best reviews I've read during my time on this site, 5+ years. Pos'd harder than I've ever done before.

June 22nd 2012

@ JT - thanks bro, it's nothing short of amazing, the concept is only a huge plus over it's impressive musical display. I've listened to plenty of album within this genre and have never been blown away like this before.

@ Seed - thanks man I really appreciate those kind words :]

@Troggy - Don't give up bro! keep listening, I highly encourage getting this on your I-pod or whatever music player and playing this at night while lying in bed. You'll be amazed at a higher level of focus will reap. This album truly goes places. But yes oppression is the point but it's so much more than that; it's utter bliss for me.

June 22nd 2012

I need to get this/listen to this now. It seems the free dl is quite easy to find. The concept of the oppressive Roman Emperor is more than intriguing. I read some of the wiki link you provided and now I'm just sweating in anticipation.

June 22nd 2012

@ Troggy - yeah that's pretty accurate bro. And I made a mistake the link I posted above is the actual studio version.

@ Seed - yeah it's super easy to find. Knowing your tastes you def won't be dissapointed.

ThroneOfAgony

Awesome review dude, I love Sludge and doom so I'll give this a shot

June 22nd 2012

Just got Ascension the other day, didn't realize this was the same band lol. Can't to hear this but it's gonna be a minute the file size is 154mb. I'm listening to Ascension again now, this band has the exact sludge sound i've been looking for.

Digging: Dioramic - Supra

June 22nd 2012

I've never heard any sludge this pissed in my life, this puts Ascension to shame. Awesome review.

June 22nd 2012

@ Throne - thanks man, if you like that style then you def won't be dissapointed here.

@ Wacknizzle - Cash bro, just cash. It pretty much puts everything to shame. Pissed is an understatement, you know what I mean. This is prolly top 5 in best releases for 2010 hands down.

June 22nd 2012

Thanks for reviewing this, I went back to all sludge I added to spotify in a binge a few days ago and none of it compares to this. I forgot about the other Rorcal album I added because it's only one song as well and it's the only one on there.

June 22nd 2012

It was a pleasure man, I can't remember how I found this or if someone did, who rec'd it to me but what an awesome find! Yeah I agree nothing compares even their past material. I'm ofcourse reiterating myself but obvs my enthusiasm for this greatly apparent.

June 22nd 2012

Well Ascension is still really good, it's not this heavy though and it's not on the database, this is actually alot different than I expected.

June 22nd 2012

@ Wacknizzle - yeah bro I heard it was solid and may have even heard some snippets off it on youtube but I need to give that a proper listen. But from every source I've every read about these guys, they agree with us that it's their best as well. I have heard their ep's and previous LP as well which fail in comparison.

@ Troggy - thanks bro, glad you liked it. I wrote it last night while laying in my bed on my i-phone while having this playing on my i-pod simultaneously. Came into work today and transferred the writings to my word for editing purposes. Imo it's one of my most expressive reviews and I'm pretty happy about it but felt it was really necessary to convey the feel of what's contained within.

June 22nd 2012

Absolutely bro, and that's one hell of a rating!

June 22nd 2012

damn! just finished my first listen and my jaw is still on the floor. I want to 5 this but I'll see where my rating stands and 2-3 more listens. Killer find Captain!

June 22nd 2012

I'm glad to know the backstory of this album because it works perfectly with the flow of the music.