Guerilla Maab
Rise

by Idnuf USER (3 Reviews)
June 19th, 2012 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All I ever wanted to do was just shine a little, bump and grind a little, and then recline a little…

Discussion of Guerilla Maab and Rise inevitably revolves around future Houston legend Z-Ro, who, hot off of the release of Look What You Did To Me, continues to be far more captivating than the other members of his crew; his characteristically earnest, revealing lyrics are the main attraction in terms of rapping. The regretful, distrustful gangster persona has become his bread and butter, but every member of the Maab has a similar style. At least on the best tracks, they all utilize expressive, quick-tongued deliveries to accentuate introspective, but not lugubrious lyrics.

The production is typical of a low budget 90s Houston release, replete with generic female hooks and cheap synthesized instruments. This is undoubtedly the greatest point of contention among listeners; some can tolerate this style and others cannot. The beats are almost kitschy, but a good match for the emotional vulnerability of the Maab. A dismal atmosphere pervades the album, one which highlights the personal, reflective lyrical style. There is no happiness to be found in their world, only the dry satisfaction of an independent life free from heartbreaking women and backstabbing friends. The world-weariness is palpable; accompanying every prayer for God’s help is the knowledge that it won’t be heard. The unity of the atmosphere and the lyrical content is the greatest asset the album has; this kind of focus and consistency of mood is quite uncommon in rap. Rise is imperfect, perhaps even mediocre from an objective standpoint, but is admirable in the way it juggles emotional resonance and catchiness. Draining yet somehow infinitely replayable, Rise is essential listening for any fan of the Houston rap scene.

KILL7

gota check

Tupik
June 19th 2012

I've had this on my iPod for ages but have never listened to it. Didn't know it had Z-Ro on it though
so I might give it a listen someday.

Very nice review, concise yet gives me everything I need to know and what to expect before listening
to this. Very nice job (pos)

illmitch

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm grabbin grain
in the turnin laaaaane
and i gotta maintainn

iranscam
June 19th 2012

great review, def agree with most of it. perfect length, too.

Storm In A Teacup

I love Z-Ro.

Manic_
June 19th 2012

Guerilla Maab on sputnik, never thought i'd see the day. The screwed version of Fondren & Main stays on deck after all these years.

iranscam

^YES

if yr talkin about the one on cocaine, that shit is incredible

illmitch
June 19th 2012

yeah dude that's one of the most beautiful rap songs i've ever heard

Idnuf
June 19th 2012

thanks for the kind words + pos votes guys

kingsoby1

Great review

Idnuf
June 19th 2012

whoa that really means a lot coming from you man, much appreciated

kingsoby1

Np u should write more.

I really like zro, need to listen to more of his stuff

Tupik