Mendel
Subliminal Colors

by johnny of the Well USER (38 Reviews)
June 18th, 2012 | 20 replies | 3,815 views

Review Summary: A solid progressive metal outing

Progressive metal as a genre can become slightly self-contradictory. The whole aim of 'progressive' is to be inventive and explore new sounds, yet the genre itself displays a surprisingly small amount of variation, as the shred solos, soaring vocals and technical riffs and drumming that catagorize it can only be reinvented a certain amount of times before they lose their awe and power and become monotonous. It is for this reason that bands such as Mastodonand Opeth, who produce a more original sound, stand out so much amongst the Symphony X and Dream Theater clones in the genre.

Now, Mendel is not a revolutionary or original project and fits very snugly into the prog metal label. However, the quality of the music on this album high enough to make it memorable and more than just Dream Theater clone #123. The riffs are all crushing and solid, and the solos are plentiful and - mostly - successful, somehow avoiding the trap of self-indulgency despite making up most of the album.

Although it is very strong, this album is far from perfect. First and foremost, 72 minutes is almost always too long a running time for any album, and Subliminal Colours suffers particularly due to its lack of variation, which is the second problem. Track-by-track, the album is fine but when listened to as a whole, it is hard to remember which song is which. The clean breaks that are used very effectively on songs like Sumerian Sun could have been used more to provide more diversity, since they mark some of the album's most memorable moments.

The album's greatest strength, and also greatest flaw, is the 25 minute closer Absolution. It is a fantastic piece of music, and features some of the album's greatest moments, such as the dramatic piano introduction and the acoustic guitar break at around 17:00. At 25 minutes, however, it is at least 10 minutes too long, and starts to drag towards the end. The ideal solution to this would have been either to edit 10 minutes out of Absolution, or to release it as an EP instead of as part of the album.

Overall, I would recommend this album to any fan of prog metal, or any guitarist, as the leads here are excellent (it often feels more like a guitarist's solo album than a progressive metal album (and yes, there is a difference).

Pros
Great leads
Powerful riffs
Consistent

Cons
Lack of variation
Absolution is too long

Porcupine Tree FutileLocktender Kafka
Kayo Dot Dowsing Anemone With Copper TongueBend the Sky Observatory
Where Mountains Meet Journey WellBullet for My Valentine Temper Temper

June 18th 2012

Check this out, it has some great shred

Digging: Envy - A Dead Sinking Story

June 18th 2012

is this worth me actively going to some site to download?

Yes, it's free anyway

June 18th 2012

Ok, but I'm gonna neg this if I don't like it

June 18th 2012

Hey bro I enjoyed you review. I appreciated how you brought out the pros and cons. Gonna check this out. POS.

Manic_
June 18th 2012

sounds like someone wanted to record their arpeggio exercises.

June 18th 2012

@captain cheers, you can find this on bandcamp

June 18th 2012

Downloaded. Have only listened to Releasing Butterflies but I'm not gonna neg...yet

June 18th 2012

"you can find this on bandcamp"

sweet, good to know, I'll check it out :]

wacknizzle
June 18th 2012

This is kinda cool but the lack of vocals kind of ruins it for me and my god... there is way too many freaking sweeps. Review is dec, didn't really do much to help explain what the music sounded like though.

Digging: Polyptych - Illusorium

June 18th 2012

Left page after reading first two words

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

July 27th 2012

Have recently realized that The Symbolic Resurrection is one of the most awesome things I've heard this year

BloodandRainbows
September 28th 2012

^ this

I agree it's definitely too long, and that Absolution would have been better as an EP. Nice review, great album. Pos.

sexpoi
October 14th 2012

Pandora is my favorite track but imo this whole album is so awesome. The solos are perfect and the riffs are tasty.

October 14th 2012

Pandora and Molecular Veil are the two tracks that I can barely remember

sexpoi
October 17th 2012

actually didn't really like Molecular Veil either. Definitely my least favorite. I just really liked the riffs and flow of Pandora. to each his own, though. good review btw

October 19th 2012

Cheers bro

December 9th 2012

Gets better and better with each listen

BloodandRainbows
December 10th 2012

might need to spin this again then. I have The Symbiotic Resurrection and Pandora on a mix cd but haven't listen to the whole thing since i got it.

December 27th 2012