f(x)
Electric Shock

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
June 15th, 2012 | 44 replies | 5,822 views

Review Summary: “Electric Shock” is an improvement over “Pinnochio”, and an incredibly fun EP.

Electric Shock is an excellent follow up to f(x)’s debut album, Pinnochio, and undoubtedly holds better music. This K-pop girl group has refined their sound despite the loads of variety in this EP, borrowing the spunky spirit of Pinnochio and improving upon it. As in f(x)’s debut, the idea of being in a video game presents itself many times, usually through quirky synths. I couldn’t help remembering Sonic the Hedgehog when I listened to ‘*트별 (Jet)’, or even the Overclocked remix of Commander Keen 4’s music for the level of Well of Wishes when I heard ‘지그재그 (Zig Zag)’. As someone who is fond of his childhood games, hearing little tributes in songs to them are nifty.

While f(x) have certainly kept their cheesy side, they have also become more serious about their music. The EP has some shocking moments, such as the epic hip-hop song ‘Beautiful Stranger’ which strongly emphasizes Amber's rapping; Amber has often had small rapping parts in the past, so this is a step up. Let’s not forget ‘훌쩍 (Let’s Try)’ either, a song that takes us to the tropics, and is clearly influenced by reggae. Songs like these prove that f(x) are not just another faceless K-pop group, but a memorable one that can produce some surprisingly solid songs. Their singles are still blatantly catchy, of course, (see ‘Electric Shock’) but this EP proves that f(x) can write catchy songs without being overbearingly cutesy or generic.

Electric Shock is a notably cheery EP with a sunny, upbeat presence. Any given song on this EP is much more exciting than anything on Pinnochio, and the uplifting melodies just feel natural. If you’re already a K-pop fan, this EP is a mandatory listen, and best believe it makes great summer music. But even if you’re new to K-pop, Electric Shock is a fantastic introduction, with a unique style and enough relevant song writing to recommend it to anyone.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

Pinocchio

June 15th 2012

Not enough albums have been hitting me this year. What's up?

Great work, Pizza. Pos.

Thank you Gyro!

Xenophanes
June 15th 2012

Haven't read a pizza review in awhile, but i just finished my last calculus class ever so the band name is giving me bad memories : S Will begrudgingly read, lol jk

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

MO
June 15th 2012

pizza pizza, good review even though ain't my bag

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

June 15th 2012

@ Xeno: haha congrats, never have to take calculus again right?
@ Metallic: thank you thank you!

LiquidVelvet
June 15th 2012

Good review. It's weird seeing f(x) kinda blowing up right now because when I got into them they were like the LEAST well-known kpop group, but it's pretty rad. Hopefully the rising popularity of f(x) and SNSD will pave the way for other big acts like BIGBANG and IU to start growing in America. Cheers!

June 15th 2012

Yeah it's pretty crazy, this EP seems to have pushed f(x) into incredible popularity. I guess people like it!

StrangerofSorts
June 15th 2012

I'm disappointed with the lack of maths puns in this ):

So how does this release differentiate with the last one? (something like that)

June 15th 2012

Amber has a lot more parts, there's more hip-hop, the EP is less aegyo-ridden than Pinnochio, f(x)'s style is refined, etc.

Adabelle
June 15th 2012

Jeez, you're one off the big 200.

Cannot understand why anyone would pick f(x) as their bandname..

StrangerofSorts
June 15th 2012

you didn't get the maths joke ):

Ohh "differentiate" lol!

June 15th 2012

To whoever ghost negged me, can you at least give me constructive criticism?

Adabelle
June 15th 2012

No but I see it as such a poor band name.

Anyway I pos'd

PlaygroundFading

holy shit new f(x)??

PlaygroundFading

nvm ;D

WashboardSuds
June 15th 2012

pizzamachine: bringing jpop and kpop to sputnik's surface

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

WashboardSuds
June 15th 2012

washboardsuds: failing at bringing jpop and kpop to sputnik's surface

:[

good review, got anything in mind for the big 2-0-0?

FelixCulpa
June 15th 2012

Checking this out just cause of the name.