Rush
Clockwork Angels

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
June 15th, 2012 | 195 replies

Review Summary: After a long career, the band show no signs of slowing down or moving on.

Thought I'd join in on the Cockwork Angles review rush (pun intended), but I'm not gonna troll review and five it, I don't want to be redundant. Well, let's just say I've never been the biggest Rush fan. I love 2112, but other than that, I've never really heard much of their work. They have too big a discography for me to be bothered backtracking. Through hype and mass trolling, I decided to check out Clockwork Orange. Hailed one of their best in the last twenty years, I can objectively say that doesn’t mean much. And I haven’t even heard any of their work in the last twenty years.

As Geddy himself says it... many, many times, is that he “can’t stop thinkin’ big.” While there’s no doubt that Rush were thinkin’ big for this record, I can’t help but think that their quality of thinking has degraded since their early days. At points during the album, it sounds like they’re trying too hard to be catchy, which is a little ironic, seeing as the album lacks anything memorable. I’m sure if you listened to the album enough, it could be memorable, but I just feel that Rush have created something that just slips by. It doesn’t engage you and the song lengths are unjustifiable for such uninteresting music. And yes, the song lengths on this album are generally around the five-minute mark, give or take.

Coupled with some lacklustre production, the instrumental work on this album pretty bland. The drums have their moment to shine at points, having me tapping along, but are unfortunately drowned out by the guitar, bass and Geddy’s rather annoying vocals. But on top of that, I must say, the bass is probably the best part about this album and the only thing that really kept me listening. Unlike a lot of bands these days, Rush haven’t drowned out the bass. It’s at the forefront of the album and it’s surprisingly fun to listen to in its intricacy. It brings a sort of funkiness or spice that the album would drastically suffer from without, most notably on the intro for Seven Cities of Gold.

As I mentioned earlier, Geddy Lee’s vocals are rather irritating on this album. They do sound quite pleasant at some points, while at others they make me cringe. This is demonstrated quite well in the song Halo Effect, where the vocals are great at some points, really. At other times in the song... not so much.

After hearing it a few times, I can honestly say, I don’t quite get it. The album is great compared to your average Rock band’s standards, but for a Progressive Rock legend like Rush, this is just average. I think the band need to hang up their hats. Or guitars. And cymbals.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart

MO
June 15th 2012

"They have too big a discography for me to be bothered backtracking."

wow you're willingly missing out on some amazing music, good job!

June 15th 2012

I loved 2112, I heard a few of the odd Rush singles, but other than that, I'm not really interested, to be honest. Great music or not, it's not in my 'must listen' category yet.

BigBlob
June 15th 2012

Aren't Rush just a rubbish King Crimson?

Wizard

19513 Comments

wow you're willingly missing out on some amazing music, good job!

And fuck all the Rush reviews taking up the front page. At a quick glance, I think that people are reviewing Death's The Sound of Perseverance.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

June 15th 2012

I consider them a good Dream Theater.

June 15th 2012

Pretty much what Wizard said. If Clockwork Angels is their best in 20 years and it's drastically shittier than 2112, then I'm not really missing out on much. I'll eventually grab some of their essentials like their self titled and Moving Pictures.

MO
June 15th 2012

"Not really, alot of their discography is hit and miss and I mean more miss than hit."

oh no doubt, i definitely agree but the string of 5 albums after 2112 to signals are all amazing

Wizard

19513 Comments

Evreaia
June 15th 2012

Site has to many rush reviews up. It's annoying.

CaptainSpacker

Clockwork Orange?

It's a joke, Captain.

Havey
June 15th 2012

"I love 2112, but other than that, I've never really heard much of their work."

Listen to Moving Pictures. Now.

YankeeDudel
June 15th 2012

Snoxall proves his lameness again.

Digging: The The - Soul Mining

Havey
June 15th 2012

"I love 2112, but other than that, I've never really heard much of their work."

Listen to Moving Pictures. Now.

Tyrael

20900 Comments

'Moving Pictures is essential Rush. 2112 is overblown theatric prog-rock. Permenant Waves and Hemispheres are great but so underrated. They have like 5/20 albums that are must listen and that's it. As for this, I was bored to tears.'

Ehm

A Farewell to Kings is their best by far

June 15th 2012

Yankee proves his unequivocal opinions are wholly objective again.

YankeeDudel
June 15th 2012

You made a list on "How To Prog" yet never listened to Rush. Like I said yesterday just die.

June 15th 2012

I had listened to Rush, they were just never my thing. I enjoyed them, but that was the extent of my relationship with the band.

omnipanzer
June 15th 2012

Oh shit, did you remember your flame shield bro?

Digging: We Were Promised Jetpacks - Unravelling