Young Fathers
TAPE ONE

by Nick USER (4 Reviews)
June 14th, 2012 | 9 replies | 3,825 views

Review Summary: A great, varied hip hop album that should keep you smiling for a while after first listen.

Well, this is a short tape so please forgive me if this is a short review. Young fathers are a Hip hop outfit from the UK who craft some very nice, textured hip hop songs with a lot of African influence weaved into some of these tracks. There is also a nice blend of trip hop ( less heavy on electronic sounds tho) and even reggae.

The MCs on this tape aren’t concerned with fiery, technical flows but more on the actual words there saying. The meaning, and how much weight these words carry. You will find some really great, meaning full, thought provoking lyrics with a bold African flavor added in for good measure. The tracks on here have a very interesting momentum and flow with some tracks faster or slower, some with colder textures some with warmer textures. The best thing this album has going for it is just that, its variety. The first off this tape titled “deadline” starts of with a blood pumping chant that keeps going until these super loud, noisy sirens start blaring. Its really exciting and starts the album off well. Then you have “sister”, one of the first tracks where the real MCing starts. This song also starts with some chilling chants and then fly’s into a verse…and a nice one at that. Some really abstract lyrics on this track with some great bass sounds just chugging away.

While there are some really unique tracks on here, some of the best are the most straight forward like my favorite track off this tape, rumbling. This track is so dark, bleak and has an absolutely surreal hook consisting of tambourines going crazy and some off the wall chanting witch gives the track a real primal almost tribal feel. The lyrics on this track are particularly fearful with lines like “ children looking for the dynamite, part time addict her dreams make her cry at night”.

I think the most stand out track on here is the well suited named " romance" witch takes this album into the reggae side of things. the thing about this track is that it is so saturated in effects, its literally dripping with effects. This might not sound like the most appealing thing but its great, its so think and dreamy it takes you by surprise and is a nice change of pace after all these hard hitting more solid tracks.

This album is just great. whether there going for a hard hitting, more solid song or maybe a more soft spoken track, Young Fathers succeed in many ways. this is a great start for them and I cant wait to see what they put out next.

DEAD

June 13th 2012

please give me some feed back. my first review so am sure there's errors. if so please let me know.

June 14th 2012

Your review has several grammatical and spelling errors e.g, comma use and "meaning full", just to name a couple. Though i feel the most serious error is the overall flow of your review. I think you should have read this to yourself a few more times and even read it out loud to someone else. That is how you truly discover if you piece flows well or not. I understood the gist certainly, and it was not terrible, but is was just hard to read overall.

Digging: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

random
June 14th 2012

Cover reminds me of Odd Future.

June 15th 2012

"Alright. As much as it sucks to hear negatives, if I want to get better then too bad for me I guess. Thanks. Is there anyway I can edit this review without taking it down."

Yeah I know but you are right that is how you learn, just keep trying. For now, no you cannot edit your reviews, I do not currently know why.

June 15th 2012

Thanks man and awesome "stoop kid" pic I love hey Arnold!

June 17th 2012

haha hell yeah man someone finally recognizes it!

June 18th 2012

haha yea man. I cant believe more people did not realize it haha

Illuminous
August 15th 2012

I REALLY love "Sister" but thats about all I can say that really popped out to me. Wasn't really an
overwhelming album, but a good effort for a debut. I can see why you liked it and respect that you
recognize it more as a lyric based album, I honestly think a 4 is a bit overboard for this; more like
in the 2.5-3.0 range. But of course its all opinion.