Miss May I
At Heart

by TheFatRapper USER (5 Reviews)
June 11th, 2012 | 17 replies

Review Summary: Disappointing compared to their past releases

I've been a fan of Miss May I for about 2 years now and have been highly anticipating their third album "At Heart" since they announced it. Their past releases were both fast-paced and memorable, and I was hoping for the same for "At Heart". But also hoping for something different as well. Well Miss May I's third full length album is a change in the wrong direction, it's no longer fast-paced, the riffs are generic, and the vocals have gotten worse.

When I heard the first single "Hey Mister" I thought that it was a lot like their old stuff, fun and fast-paced but different and refreshing at the same time. Unfortunately after that the album takes a turn for the worst. It slows down and is very boring and generic making it tough to listen to all the way through. In fact everything about "At Heart" feels more generic, from the riffs, the lyrics, the album cover, hell even their logo looks more like a generic Metalcore band's logo.

I was never really a fan of bassist Ryan Neff's clean vocals but at least on their previous release "Monument" they were listenable. Now his voice is even more monotone and boring than before.

But there is some good in "At Heart". The album starts to pick up on the track "Found Our Way", the problem though is that is track 10 on a 13 track album. So after seven straight tracks of boring generic Metalcore you finally get to hear some really good tracks. But by then most listeners will be bored and tuned out.

Overall Miss May I's third album is boring but the really good tracks somewhat make up for the crappy filler. If you ask me listen to "Hey Mister" then skip straight to track 10 and listen to the rest of the album. Or skip this album entirely and listen to their previous two superior albums "Apologies Are for the Weak" and "Monument".