ZZ Top
Texicali

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
June 10th, 2012 | 12 replies | 6,772 views

Review Summary: ...

Released as a taster for the new record that's set to drop this fall, Texicali contains ZZ Top's first studio recordings since 2003's Mescalero and also, the first ones with producer Rick Rubin. However, Rubin didn't change or strip ZZ Top's approach simply because the previous albums were already bare bones and what this little ol' band from Texas does for 43 years now is enough to sweep newcomers off their feet and keep old fans more than happy. Still, they needed an outside voice to keep them focused and so far it's working.

As a result, everything found here has been done before and most probably there won't be any big surprises on the upcoming album, but the songs on Texicali are a fine example of ZZ Top having fun. "I Gotsta Get Paid" is an interpretation of fellow texans DJ DMD, Lil' Keke & Fat Pat's hip hop song "25 Lighters", but the guys translate it really well into their world and it can fit anywhere on their post Recycler albums. "Chartreuse" and "Consumption" both have that dirty ZZ Top feel, featuring tongue in cheek lyrics and Gibbons' most raucous vocals yet. These whiskey vocals help a lot to the mood, along with the murkier sound the band have developed since the 90s. Last track, "Over You", is the usual ZZ Top blues number and while it isn't necessarily up there with classics like "Blue Jean Blues" or "Rough Boy" is really enjoyable on its own.

One listen is enough for Texicali to make you await the new album, only because after 9 years ZZ Top are finally releasing something new. There's nothing different from what they've done before, but these guys do their job damn well and don't feel tired as other bands at their age.

Causa Sui Pewt'r Sessions 3Karma To Burn Arch Stanton
Yawning Man Nomadic PursuitsSeven That Spells The Death And Resurrection Of Krautrock: IO
Tim Bowness Abandoned Dancehall DreamsWo Fat The Conjuring

ZedO

bluess........

Hurricanslash
June 10th 2012

Oh man, the album is gonna be so awesome!

Sciroccu

Good review...

June 10th 2012

Thanks Sciroccu! This is my first attempt to write a shorter, more concise review for an EP as I usually tend to write a lot for a review.

@Hurricanslash - This release ignited my expectations for the new albums. I hope they'll release it as soon as they can.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

greg84
June 10th 2012

I haven't listened to these guys in ages. Good write-up!

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

SgtPepper
June 10th 2012

Ive really been getting into ZZ top lately myself.
POS'd!

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Thanks guys.

@Greg - Yeah, it's been a long time since they've released something new, but I believe it was worth the wait.

@Paperback - You'll love their music. I think they've been really consistent throughout their career only by not changing their sound much. Even their worst album IMO, Afterburner, which was released in mid synth era isn't that bad.

Voivod

Well written, pos.

I only have Tres Ombres from these guys, I should get myself more ZZ Top.

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

jefflebowski
June 10th 2012

holy shit, these guys are still around...

never really got into them seriously but deguello is a great record

Digging: Big Black - Atomizer

June 10th 2012

@ Voivod - Thanks! You have to listen to First Album, Fandango!, Deguello, Recycler and Mescalero from them. These sum up pretty well their career.
@Jefflebowski - They have a lot of great albums, mainly the ones I mentioned above. They are also pretty consistent.

June 10th 2012

Your beard gets longer as you listen to this

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor