Miss May I
At Heart

2.0
poor

by P.J. Quinones USER (34 Reviews)
June 7th, 2012 | 199 replies | 16,002 views

Review Summary: A letdown with a few exciting moments.

Miss May I has always been notable for their domination of the modern post-hardcore genre that is favored by teens, always notorious amongst scenie-weenies as the heaviest content on their iPods. Crushing breakdowns and laden with riffs, and a very rare clean passage led by bassist Ryan Neff. Monument, the predecessor to At Heart, filled this description to the tee, and thrusted the group into mass popularity. It gave the next release some real work to do if it is to stand head to head or even surpass Monument.

"Hey Mister", lead single of At Heart and opening track (disregarding the self-titled prologue) is a very nice song and introduces the listener to MMI's familiar sound and definitely grows onto any fan very quickly, yet there's a distinct difference that is possible to ignore for at least the song's length. Proceeding into the record, it quickly loses it's luster. At Heart lacks any element of surprise that was so prominent in the previous releases, and the speed once favored so well by the group is all but gone. Screamer Levi Benton's vocals remain in top-notch form but take a slight sound of a tiring yell that, while still present, does not give the variety of shrieks and bellows that he is so famed for.

In the past, bassist Ryan Neff's clean vocals have been passable (and monotone) at best. But here is where his acceptable presence finally falls off. His vocals in At Heart are downright awful and make the album more of a drag than a change in the group's style. Coupled with a similar style that is changed only by the oversight and influence of producer Machine (Lamb of God, Haste the Day, Suicide Silence), Neff's clean vocals and supporting instrumental work almost reminds a (metal-educated) listener of Sonic Syndicate. And, though Sonic Syndicate is great, when a group is in a scene with bands like Asking Alexandria, Memphis May Fire, and Like Moths to Flame, it is not a good thing to sound like them.

Maybe it's the transition from Joey Sturgis to Machine that influences Miss May I so monumentally (no pun intended), or just the eternal struggle to be something more that urged this quintet to shift their goals to a more metal crowd. If option two is correct, then this record is a dismal failure and is not recommended to anybody that isn't a fan. While it has memorable moments, the record seems like a shade of it's predecessors without the edge they are so keenly appreciated for.

Pros:
- Levi Benton wins again
- Instruments remain a fun listen
- A few great songs among the dreary

Cons:
- Filler is so bad it sometimes make it difficult to listen to
- Ryan Neff. . .
- Not very good at a traditional heavy sound they're trying for

Memorable moments: Hey Mister, Ballad of a Broken Man, Second to No One

Blessthefall Hollow BodiesAsking Alexandria From Death to Destiny
Phinehas The Last Word Is Yours To SpeakAttila About That Life
Escape the Fate UngratefulThe Color Morale Know Hope
Aidan Huddleston (2.5)
Disappointing compared to their past releases...

June 7th 2012

I'll be changing this to a 2 or 2.5 whenever the Edit Review option works again.

Digging: Taking Back Sunday - Happiness Is

Band is bad

Digging: Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together

June 7th 2012

Unless there's a legitimate stream up, this is gonna be taken down so you should copy and save this before it does.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

June 7th 2012

Thanks ILJAJLM. And I will never trust the word anybody who is currently digging something i've never
even remotely heard even a syllable of. So ChuckTheMan, judge me if you want but before this album
they ruled.

This too

Spec
June 7th 2012

Save your work quick! There's no stream up yet!

June 7th 2012

"when a group is in a scene with bands like Asking Alexandria, Memphis May Fire, and Like Moths to Flame, it is not a good thing to sound like them."

Whoa whoa whoa, did you just trash MMF?

And you've never listened to Converge? Dude, you need to get on that. I know they're extremely hyped on this website but it's not without good reason.

auberginedreams
June 7th 2012

damn that album art is bad.

auberginedreams
June 7th 2012

"And I will never trust the word anybody who is currently digging something i've never
even remotely heard even a syllable of."

wut

June 7th 2012

Gimme a good song and i'll try. But i've been unphased by the majority of what i've been recommended on here. No disrespect to anything i've been showed, because I can tell why people like it but it's just not my cup of tea.

June 7th 2012

It is auber. And no worries PJ you and I have similar tastes so trust me no judging here were cool

June 7th 2012

And also but hey I love MMF and you can't deny the potential in LMTF. Much better than this band IMO

June 7th 2012

Off their new album, which is what Chuck is digging, try Dark Horse.

Overall, one of my personal favorites is Homewrecker off of Jane Doe. It might take a few listens before you can appreciate them though, they're growers.

Fuck yeah man, Dark Horse is my second fav Converge song. It fucking goes hard

June 7th 2012

Just being defensible of myself Chuck, most people on here aren't as kind. And oh, and I wasn't bagging any of those bands I mentioned. I dig the fuck out of MMF, check out my review on The Hollow. Preordered their upcoming album too.

June 7th 2012

It was the first song I heard by them. As soon as it came on I thought "Oh shit, this is gonna be good." I wasn't disappointed.

Yeah man *fist bump* I'll preorder too now that I think about it

June 7th 2012

You heard the song they released a few days ago? Pretty sick stuff.

June 7th 2012

"Gah, growers are always so weird on me. I have a feeling At Heart will be a grower on me tbh."

For me at least, I'll always give something a couple listens, unless I absolutely don't like it at all first time around. Some grow on me, some stay mediocre. Some of my favorite albums were growers.