Suis La Lune
Riala

by Eli EMERITUS
May 30th, 2012 | 258 replies

Review Summary: Brilliant, as expected.

The emotional hardcore heroes behind Swedish band, Suis La Lune, have been releasing a decent amount of material (sparsely, mind you) over the years, aggregating praise and a modest following along the way; all without fully “breaking out.” With each recording, the band furthers its legacy despite new material actually being few and far between. But this is where Suis La Lune has excelled, keeping its name out there while still retaining an air of mystery. 2008’s Heir was a defining moment in its career and did much to compound the “underground champions” status, but fans have been aching for a follow up to their 2006 full-length debut, Quiet, Pull the Strings. Melodic instrumentation married to a harsh vocal delivery has made Suis La Lune’s sound a loving presence in the genre and its latest, Riala, only furthers that sentiment.

“Cornea” opens things with a bang, inflicting listeners with one of the album’s most rapid and chaotic songs. Featuring the typical melody laden segments, moments of the song actually feel quite beautiful. The mixture of cleans and yells in regards to vocals is welcome, as the variety keeps things interesting throughout. Although “Cornea” and the few songs that follow it are great in their own right, the record is a bit slow to start. It isn’t until the album’s fifth song, “In Confidence,” that the rather formulaic design is broken. Said song is almost anthem-like in its delivery, with bold vocals lines driving the latter half of the track. Taking a page from almost every scream group from the last ten years, Suis La Lune adds a bit of post-rock influences to boot. Although subtle, the tremolo picked lead into the climax cannot help but make one evoke mental images of Envy and City of Caterpillar, especially when such a lovely guitar tone is employed. “All That Meant Something” follows suit as its cathartic midsection has a very sing-along vibe with vocalist Kris yelling “You took it away” with a passionate delivery. “Remorse” mixes things up a bit by including the “twinkly” sounds that has become so pervasive in the scene, a sound shared by much of the album’s 10 tracks.

Riala has all the makings for one of 2012’s best emotional hardcore records. Suis La Lune has proven itself before and its does so yet again, beautifully. The band does a tremendous job combining multiple elements of the genre into a sound that comes off as wholly original. Riala is the perfect progression for a band that has already left quite a mark, and a must hear for genre aficionados.

Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins

Eclecticist

Wooo! I love this album!

May 30th 2012

Haha, boy did I fuck up the summary. I meant to drop the "Un"

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

Oh and yes Deviant I realize how obvious this one is as well : P

Romulus
May 30th 2012

love this band. gotta give this a listen today

Romulus

fuck dat listening now

Eclecticist
May 30th 2012

One day I am going to spend all day at long & McQuade until I find a combination of guitar and amp that makes the tone sound as sexy and beautiful as the tone on this album.

Adabelle
May 30th 2012

Don't immediately like it as much as Quiet,... but idk, maybe in 2 months I'll come back here to tell you all it's way better than I originally thought..

Great review, pos

MalleusMaleficarum
May 30th 2012

Heir will always be their best work

Rev

great review Eli

this owns so hard

May 30th 2012

It does indeed, thanks buddy.

I was just talking about Danny Phantom to a friend lol

Rev
May 30th 2012

I've been rewatching it on Netflix and I totally forgot about the huge crush I had on Sam

I kind of had a thing for animated goth chicks growing up haha

FelixCulpa
May 30th 2012

The art work for the album is just awesome. Nice review as well Eli.

SucDePortocale
May 30th 2012

I couldn't help but cheer like a little kid when i saw they released something

auberginedreams
May 30th 2012

i can't believe you didn't mention that instrumental section in the middle of "wishes & hopes." the one with the trumpet. that's probably my favorite minute or so of music so far this year.

Digging: DIR EN GREY - Arche

auberginedreams

okay.

May 30th 2012

Cool review man. Good descriptions too. Pos. some good stuff in the front page today. I gotta check this too. Cool to see Eclecticist digs this too.

Tyrael

20972 Comments

stellar review Xeno (isn't this what I always say? Man I need to expand my vocabulary)

Start saying things in your native language : D

@aubergine: I wanted to keep this review short and concise because tbh those are the only reviews that people read all of the way through anyways.

May 30th 2012

Oh boy I hope the mods fix my error I'm looking rather foolish atm

eternium
May 30th 2012

I have a feeling this is going to be an album I like the more I listen.