Locanda Delle Fate
Forse le Lucciole non si Amano piu

by ProgJect USER (31 Reviews)
May 30th, 2012 | 52 replies | 3,102 views

Release Date: 1977 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A one-shot Italian winner.

Locanda Delle Fate were a seven-piece progressive group, centred around keyboards and piano. They consisted of two keyboardists as well as guitarists, supported by a dynamic rhythmic section and led by an emotional and gifted singer. The short-lived formation arrived fairly late on the Italian scene; Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piu was released in 1977, when prog rock was on the way out with punk and disco on the rise. Disappointed by the lack of response to the album, the band disbanded shortly afterwards. Some refer to the LP as the last great RPI (Rock Progressivo Italiano) album of the seventies, and for good reason.

Forse is a stunning exposure of well crafted melodies and counterpoints, performed with finesse and emotional involvement. The arrangements are complex and intricate, giving the listener a feast of stunning interplay between pianos, moog, flute and even some effective touches on vibes. The solos on guitar, flute and synthesizer are toned down to a subtle degree, never shattering the overall instrumental balance. The songs flow together excellently and could almost be one continuous track if not for the breaks in between, making the album very consistent. The music itself is oriented towards a lush, warm, romantic sound rooted in Italian tradition, as well as in the symphonic stylings of early Genesis. Another fitting comparison would be to Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM).

The record came out during a time when the Italian Big Three (Le Orme, PFM and Banco) were becoming increasingly less productive and at risk of losing their identity. It was right here that LDF managed something fantastic in a genuine symphonic prog vein. While certainly breezier than the conventional rawer Italian prog standards, this jewel takes its place firmly on the pantheon of progressive classics. Powerful yet delicate, the band knew exactly how to accommodate a balance between keys or vocal-based moments, bombastic interplay and delicate melodies. Still, those who preferred the edgier side of the scene tended to dismiss them as being overly sweet and melodic.

With all tracks having been extremely carefully written and constructed, Forse is a musically superb, entertaining and soothing exercise. It is characterized by stunning instrumental passages, expressive vocals and well-crafted symphonic arrangements. Filled with harmonic flute parts, lovely piano, Hackett-like guitar leads and magnificent keyboard work (organ, harpsichord, moog synthesizers), Locanda Delle Fate offered series of songs with sheer beauty, played with passion and energy.

First among many outstanding moments, A Volte un Instante di Quiete sets the tone with alternating energetic and laidback textures. The rustic elegance of this instrumental opener crowns the disc with immediate class, soaring guitar and graceful piano on one side, shuffling rhythm section, Hammond and flute on the other. The grand title track introduces Leonardo Sasso’s warm and melancholic voice, blending in well with the piano; the shimmering fragility is chilling, a harsh guitar riff and a blazing synthesizer conspiring to elevate this even higher. Profumo di Colla Bianca is the third strike in a row, its whistling synthesizer and chunky bass working around light electric guitar in a pleasant progression. The stately vocals appear over a distant organ and dreamy piano; whimsical sounds pop in the middle of the piece before the swirling organ ushers in the main theme. Non Chiudere a Chiave le Stelle starts off with classical guitar, reminiscent of Genesis’ Horizons. It’s an intense, passionate ballad with tender vocals and frail embellishments, a devastatingly gorgeous slice of prog. Lastly, Vendesi Saggezza is a nearly ten-minute epic that spans all inherent qualities expressed by the musicians, carrying suggestive guitar leads, twirling flute and intertwined keyboards.

Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piu is without question one of the most beautiful, melodic, richly textured, strongly symphonic albums to come out of the Italian progressive movement. It is well produced, thoughtfully arranged and simply a treat for any keyboard/piano lover. A masterpiece in the symphonic branch of prog rock, deserving of more recognition than it has received.

The Moody Blues In Search of the Lost ChordLe Orme Uomo Di Pezza
Maxophone MaxophoneRenaissance Turn of the Cards
Museo Rosenbach ZarathustraCurved Air Air Cut
4.4

ProgJect
May 30th 2012

Here's one more from ProgJect. Once again, thank you for progging with us.

greg84
May 30th 2012

ProgJect strikes once again. Insta-pos.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

Nagrarok

Thanks greg.

Yeah 8 paragraphs is way too much hahaha
Joke aside and as per usual, I really like what you did with the review, Supernag. I'm really grateful to have you as a colleague. What a team we make.
To all our readers, our next few ProgJect' reviews are gonna be some modern prog stuff so tell all your friends and keep on progging hard.

greg84

...modern prog stuff?

Does it mean you're gonna review Cog discography? Rethorical question. Of course... yes.

Tyrael

20740 Comments

sweet gota check [2]

you guys should review some more recent albums and get promoted to contrib haha

May 30th 2012

@Greg; I'm afraid not since ProgJect has for mission to review only what is uncovered yet. So what I intend to do next would be either Solaris, Taal, Karmakanic or Arena. You do well in asking Greg cos ProgJect is open to any recommendations you guys may have.

@Ty That's we're gonna do for the next few ones. Just gaining some other readers will do the trick for us =]

20012 Comments

This sounds awesome. Gonna listen now.

Great work guys as always, pos'd.

May 30th 2012

Mucho appreciado, Jamie bud.

While this review was in process, I noticed that Locanda Delle Fate released The Missing Fireflies, a brand new album consisting of;
part 1; 4 songs done in the studio this year
part 2; 3 old live recordings from 1977
Here's the studio song #3 called La Giostra;

May 30th 2012

Take note that the actual album title is ''Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piu'' which means ''Perhaps they no longer love the Fireflies''

May 30th 2012

Nice work ProgJect team, have a prog pos.

Might check this out one of these days.

20012 Comments

Listening to this now, it really is awesome.

May 30th 2012

The songs are available on youtube?

20012 Comments

Some of them are, I'm not sure if all of them are though. I'm actually listening to it on the free streaming app Spotify.

May 30th 2012

I'm really glad you're liking it, JT.

@Notrap, feel your latin roots and enjoy these;

Song 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdc5f6dzyEE
Song 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbaJfSEehns
Song 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeUpz3SONfg

May 30th 2012

Hahaha Sounds like a deal Jethro. Will check it out.

May 30th 2012

Pos bro gotta check this hard. Awesome review!

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

AlexLifeson

sweet

May 30th 2012

As Nagrarok said; ''Oh how I'd like that editing function fixed, the paragraphs could use a little finetuning.''

Why they make so much time to fix that damn editing function!?!...

Thanks a bunch, Captain! I could easily see you digging this. Just try these 3 links I just left.

Sup Sir Alex

May 30th 2012

I just tried the links but they won't load on my phone for some reason so ima jam them when I get home on my laptop. Can't wait to hear bro. Looks fn sick