Six Feet Under
Undead

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
May 29th, 2012 | 17 replies | 5,801 views

Review Summary: Six Feet Under FINALLY release top quality album

Everybody who is remotely into death metal will know of Chris Barnes. The man's a legend in the scene, having originally been part of Cannibal Corpse, before being kicked out for his rapidly deteriorating vocal performances. He then set up one of the most frequently criticized bands in the death metal scene, Six Feet Under. Everyone has their own opinion of this band, with some people saying they are one of their favourite bands and others saying they are utterly terrible. I am of the opinion that they were good until they reached their peak on Maximum Violence, and after that album they went downhill. But here they are, 15 years after forming, they have released their new album Undead. And boy, does it kill!

This is the only album in their discogrophy to feature Rob Arnold, who plays both guitar and bass on this album, and he is actually rather good. The riffs he lays down are fun to listen to, if not slightly generic and overused. The bass work is rarely audible, but when it is, it lays down a nice solid groove to bridge the gap between the drums and the guitars. However, the side of the album that many people will want to hear about is Chris Barnes's vocals. Often the target of much criticism when this band is spoken about, I can firmly say that this is his best vocal performance since his Cannibal Corpse days. It is a known fact that he has not got any of the power of his CC days, so why can people not just accept his modern work for what it is? He is a brutal vocalist, who still slays many vocalists. Plus, he actually puts his heart into his music.

One of the better tracks on this album would be Track 3, 18 Days. The drumming is rather intense on this song, the guitar work sounds fantastic, and Barnes proves that he can still cut it amongst the newer death metal vocalists, due to the fact that whenever you hear him growl, you instantly know who you are listening to. The slower section near the end of the song is a slight letdown considering how good the rest of the track is, but this is definately one to listen out for.

Blood On My Hands is the other highlight that is really worth listening to. The way Chris Barnes growls the titular words is sheer awesome, despite the fact that, as every death metal listener in the world will tell you, he really is starting to age. The core riffs to it are some of the best on the album, and the drumming keeps a solid beat to it. Another great track.

Aside from the two mentioned above, the rest vary from average to slightly above average. This is ***ing Six Feet Under-you expect consistency, not amazement, so those two tracks will probably leave you pleasently surprised. Hands down worst song on this record would be the track Missing Victims. It is a poor, generic song, that fails to do anything to catch the listeners interest.

So, overall, this is a decent, consistent, solid album. It is worth a listening, as it is possibly their best album to date. Check out 18 Days or Blood On My Hands before picking up the album to make your mind up. 4/5

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard to Be a Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis
Cryptopsy Whisper SupremacyHades Resisting Success
Metallica Death MagneticBlack Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
TBliss2 (2)
'Undead' regrettably seems content to settle itself into a lifeless mid tempo groove and remain ther...

Willie
May 29th 2012

The answer is in the question.

Good review, but I've never liked Chris Barnes... not even in CC.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

The7thVermicide

This album is good?

I'm really surprised

BassDemon333
May 29th 2012

By far the bands best album based on the music alone, but Barnes is still hit or miss. His performance on Molest Dead is
pretty awesome though.

May 29th 2012

Never minded Barnes at all in CC, he was perfectly fine. Heard a bit of this, but the music just sounded boring.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

BigPleb

Haha, this band.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Shuyin
May 29th 2012

he was part of the almighty cannibal corpse, but this band sucks.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

The7thVermicide
May 29th 2012

Graveyard Classics are comical as fuck

FrozenVain
May 30th 2012

From what i have heard this bands sucks ass...But I will check this one out.
Album cover is really cool though

zaruyache
May 31st 2012

ehh.....I heard Formaldehyde when they released it and was not at all impressed. Doubt the rest of this is any better.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

hatahs
June 1st 2012

He wasnt kicked out of CC for "rapidly deteriorating vocal performances". Where did u get that? It was over his and the band's differences in the direcion they wanted their music to go

TBliss2
June 13th 2012

Thought this was baaaaad

TheHamburgerman
June 15th 2012

An unusually good album for this average band.

goodasgold666
September 11th 2012

Band rules hard, great albm

zaruyache
September 13th 2012

I swear I've seen this album artwork before. Or maybe I saw it for this album, then forgot. Hmm. I'd rather ponder this pointless question than listen to the album, though.

CrimsonFireCF
November 7th 2012

I find it hard to believe this band can writing ANYTHING good.

CakeWithCream
February 16th 2013

this album is good. probably their best, which let's be honest, isn't saying all that much. but it's worth checking out.

blacktheripper