Architects
Daybreaker

good

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (44 Reviews)
May 28th, 2012 | 439 replies

Review Summary: Architects slip further into an identity crisis which threatens the quality of their music

Barely a year ago, Architects were hailing their fourth album in just five years as their “defining record”. The Here and Now, with its polished production and strong emphasis on vocal melody, was certainly a departure from the darkened metalcore that earned them their place as one of the biggest bands in the modern British metal scene, but only a year on and with Daybreaker, they claim to have turned their backs on that decision.

The speed at which these events took place certainly suggests that this latest move is in response to the backlash against The Here and Now, especially when taking into account how certain of themselves the band appeared in interviews surrounding the album’s release, with the desire not to repeat themselves, the wish to write music with more focus on melody and so forth. At the time, the music only backed that up; The Here and Now may have been a radical departure from their popular sound but the band seemed at ease with this change - a natural decision fitting in with their personal desires to write the music they wanted to. Although a step down from Hollow Crown, on its own terms The Here and Now was a success - catchy but still dealing a fair amount of punch and energy.

Daybreaker, on the other hand, seems a little lost. Contradicting their year-younger selves, they are now expressing a desire to return to their heavy and technical roots. But rather than a pure return to their older sound as they’d have you believe, Daybreaker is mostly an awkward mash of elements off The Here and Now and their earlier releases. Hollow Crown succeeded because of its unrelenting energy founded upon musical elements that worked beautifully together and headed by metallic grit and intense, passionate vocals. Daybreaker has little of that, retaining unwelcome production in the form of overused synthesisers and electronic segments which ruin the music’s grit or sometimes kill the energy completely. The power is lost with awkward or boring riffs trying too hard to be ‘technical’ just for technicality’s sake but failing to do much with it, or simply switching back and forth between two notes in deliberately awkward timing. The guitars themselves have lost much of the thunderous tone they had on Hollow Crown. Sam Carter’s voice has also deteriorated; the passion of his old vocals having been replaced with ones which constantly switch between talking to a forced and broken scream. Hollow Crown introduced more melody for Architects but they used it sparingly for the occasional effect. Here, their use is constant. At worst, large parts of the music are simply boring, with no energy or interesting melody to prop them up as the music is left unsure what to do.

More than anything, Daybreaker feels like an attempt by Architects to please fans of Hollow Crown whilst retaining the elements they wrote to please themselves on The Here and Now, and in doing so compromising both. Daybreaker is an enjoyable record, but more despite itself than anything else. Some catchy melodies and interesting guitar parts are scattered throughout the album, but unlike before (even with The Here and Now) these elements are scrappily arranged and leave the music in a limbo with no defined purpose or aim. Fans of either of either Hollow Crown or The Here and Now should find something to enjoy here, but to do so the listener is left to pick out bits and pieces from an album which, as a whole, is a bit of a mess.

Azealia Banks Broke With Expensive TasteJMSN †Pllajë†
Say Lou Lou Better In The DarkSky Ferreira Night Time, My Time
M.I.A. MatangiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
welljesuschrist (4.5)
Hugely underrated....

JAXETA (3)
Basically what we expected...

Michael B. (3.5)
Architects may have made some mistakes prior to this, but in the here and now they're right back on ...

22034 Comments

Might have been a bit harsh focussing on the bad aspects of the album, but there isn't much to say
apart from there being some great parts which are ruined by the overall feel of the music

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

May 28th 2012

Good review, it isn't very consistent but has a few very good tracks.

Outsider Heart rules.

mentioned

Hollow Crown 6 times
The Here and Now 8 times
Daybreaker 6 times

Nightmares & Ruin 0 times

MalleusMaleficarum

22034 Comments

not sure what that's aimed at

May 28th 2012

Cos Architects can't even be associated with Ruin or Nightmares anymore.

Hep Kat

these guys need to stop making music

MalleusMaleficarum

yep

May 28th 2012

Have to say that this doesn't really read like a '3' at all.

these guys need to stop making music

nah

Have to say that this doesn't really read like a '3' at all.

yeah I know. I focus on the bad shit cos there isn't much I can say about the good stuff apart from
"there is some good stuff", and this is a significant step down from their past two albums. Not even
sure what my favourite track is. Might play it safe and say These Colours Don't Run but there isn't
really anything that seriously sticks out to me

May 28th 2012

Excellent review as aways, Fish. Completely agree. It's fucking ridiculous to think that this is the same band that made Ruin. As my favourite album of theirs, it's a little disappointing to realize I'll never get another like it.

Pos'd.

Digging: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

May 28th 2012

Bands change, will never stop me from listening to Ruin; which is their BEST effort.

Pos'd.

ChuckyTruant
May 28th 2012

Yeah great review. Much better than the other Daybreaker one.

22034 Comments

still pretty much the only person on the site who actually liked THAN though

It was boring.

it was catchy

although sometimes it could be really cringe-making and the lasting value was pretty short

May 28th 2012

Goddamn double post. I didn't mind THAN honestly. A few tracks were a bit out of place but it was alright.

ChuckyTruant

Nah Fishy I like THAN a bit as well

22034 Comments

I probably need to give Ruin another go actually. Never really loved it like I did with Hollow Crown