Devin Townsend Project
Deconstruction

by crazyaga USER (3 Reviews)
May 27th, 2012 | 34 replies | 2,835 views

Review Summary: Deconstruction is nothing less than one of the best metal albums ever recorded.

Deconstruction is the 3rd part of The Devin Townsend Project, and was released along with Ghost, the 4th album in that series.
The album had a HUGE hype to it, and not only because the two previous albums in the DTP were superb - Devin Townsend got an arsenal of metal titans to help him with his album (to name a few: Mikael Akerfeldt, Joe Duplantier, Paul Masdival , Fredrik Thordendal ) along with a full orchestra.
The problem with such a hype is, obviously, that most of the chances are that the album could never exceed such a huge hype. but Deconstruction did exactly that.

Some people call Deconstruction crappy over-the-top wankery, and some went even further and claimed that its almost as bad as Lulu.
But in reality, Deconstruction is nothing less than 70 minutes of an intense rollercoaster of musical brilliance.
The album is filled with humor (and the more shallow kind of humor, including fart jokes), and to realize how amazing Deconstruction actually is you must to not take it too seriously.
The low humor throughout the album is probably the reason for the partially negative reaction.

Deconstruction is an over the top metal album, but it never loses the soul, and allways feels human.
While all the 9 tracks of Deconstruction are absolutely superb, there are some standout tracks.
one of the most obvious ones is "The Mighty Mastubrator", a 16 minutes genre-shifting epic about masturbation. the song include techno influences at the middle of it, and even circus-waltz at the end of it.
Another standout track is the title track. that song is like a stream of consciousness, really.
its extremely progressive, and contains a jaw dropping guitar work, and incredibly intense.
it also include fart jokes, but they doesnt really matter since the song itself is unbelieveably amazing.
The guest musicians are masterfully placed through the album, helping to give each song its own personality.

While this album wont apeal to everyone, Deconstruction is an incredible achievement.
Its definitely the best metal album of 2011, if not one of the best metal albums ever recorded.
If you are a metal fan, check it out NOW.

Epicloud

My 2nd review :>
I hope its good enough!

zaruyache
May 27th 2012

It started out good but then it seemed like you forgot how to organize paragraphs or use proper punctuation. It'd read through it again and fix those errors.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

ItsOnlyWords
May 27th 2012

At first it was hard to get into but once I decides to trust the artist I was awoken. Pos

sweet

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

May 27th 2012

I thought this was boring. Down there with 'Physicist' in quality.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

camaraderie
May 27th 2012

The reviews for this are so polarizing yet the ratings are not.

May 27th 2012

willie maybe give it another go it grows hard

May 27th 2012

Physicist was awesome, I thought. Just needed better production... and maybe a few solos...

May 27th 2012

I listened to this a lot because I had planned to review it. It just never clicked.

FearThyEvil
May 27th 2012

I'll have to do the same then. First couple times I was bored to tears. Hopefully it changes.

someguest

20233 Comments

This album's fucking terrible.

Digging: Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

May 27th 2012

its no ceremonials agreed!

May 27th 2012

Physicist is better than this but it felt like SYL-lite. 'Kingdom' is a kick ass song, though.

RosaParks
May 27th 2012

devin townsend albums seem so hit or miss with people with the exception of like... City and Ocean
Machine

in other words, people are stupid

someguest

20233 Comments

Ceremonials kicks the shit out of this turd.

"Kingdom," "Victim," and "Irish Maiden" are my Physicist jams

May 27th 2012

Best album Devin ever did was Terria.

Damn straight

Tyrael

20714 Comments

You're both terribly wrong and I'm sure that Epicloud will be a candidate for the aoty of 2012 too

Epicloud?