12 Stones
Beneath the Scars

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
May 25th, 2012 | 16 replies | 2,281 views

Review Summary: “Beneath the Scars” further cements 12 Stones’ reputation as a forgettable Christian rock group.

To put it bluntly, Beneath the Scars is a drab album. Although it starts off great with two fun, edgy songs, it takes a nosedive directly afterwards and crashes into mediocrity. This is a land dominated by feel-good, melodic mainstream rock with string accompaniment. It’s pleasant stuff, but judging by the band’s name, they ought to be throwing stones at us, not pillows and teddy bears. Even more irritating is that 12 Stones have the ability to fire it up, but do so for less than half of the album’s length. There is a handful of catchy, heavy tracks (with some surprisingly tasty guitar hooks) that help keep people like me occupied, but the reality that there is an equal number of weak, generic tracks (written for easily pleased listeners) is unacceptable. Why they have chosen this route of safety is beyond me, and it’s certainly below them. Because of it, one could listen to this album repeatedly for an entire day (not recommended) and end up forgetting 95% of it. What could have been a solid, straight-up rockin’ album ends as a monotonous, weak, generic, pointlessly long waste of time. If 12 Stones have any originality left in them, Beneath the Scars doesn’t show it. It is an easy album to avoid unless one absolutely must keep up to date with their mainstream rock albums.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
good
Davey Boy STAFF (3)
Unfashionably late, expectedly dated & foreseeably passable. In a word: Predictable....

pizzamachine

Album stream: http://www.myspace.com/12stones/music/songs?filter=featured

Hopefully this gets the point across that this album is to be avoided. Peace out, I need sleep.

InvertTheInverted

Nice one, Pizza. Pos'd.

Omaha
May 25th 2012

Reviews on this site are getting SO short, whew.

It was well-written, Pizza, but I feel like you could add so much more to a review like this, you know? I don't like reading essays on albums, but I also like for it to be obvious that the reviewer understands the album. I don't get that vibe much here, although what you did write was good.

Omaha
May 25th 2012

I like shorter reviews, as long as they're concise and cover the essential points.

Recspecs
May 25th 2012

Whoaaa haven't heard them since Potter's Field.

Digging: Borgore - #NewGoreOrder

North0House2
May 25th 2012

Christian music is almost getting more predictable by the day, to be honest.

Digging: Amen Dunes - Love

Acanthus
May 25th 2012

Very nice sir, haven't ever given these guys much of a chance and I don't think I'll be changing that anytime soon.

@Asnide - check out Deviant's reviews : P

Digging: The Cure - The Head on the Door

ReturnToRock
May 25th 2012

Oh, sound-off, take off that ridiculous review suit! You're not fooling anyone.

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

My review will be up within 24 hours... & it will be a little longer & more detailed!

Well summed up though Pizza. I can't argue with too much you have stated.

greg84
May 25th 2012

Guys you've got much better albums coming out this week to review than this.

I'm all for good hard rock, but come on... these guys have never been relevant.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

ReturnToRock
May 25th 2012

Davey, still a fan, huh? I tried a bit of Potter's field, but I wasn't any more impressed than I had been with the debut album (i.e. not really).

PistolPete
May 25th 2012

This band is soooo negligible. I don't really get annoyed by the small reviews, I prefer to read concise reviews and find most far too long. I personally am trying to keep mine shorter but definitely haven't been able to keep them this short. Well done Pizza, good review!

May check this out regardless.

Digging: Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 2)

InvertTheInverted
May 25th 2012

I still say Pizza is my favorite writer on this site. His reviews are really short, but usually he gives you the important facts in a concise, no bullshit manner.

Scenegrind

Pos'd.
You should consider making the reviews a little longer, Pizza. You could expand so much.

pizzamachine
May 25th 2012

Thanks everyone! It seems some people like my short reviews and some like my longer reviews, so I'll continue doing what I always do - both! : )

tiesthatbind
May 25th 2012

I feel like this would read a little better if it was split into two paragraphs instead of one giant one but it's good otherwise. I don't really have a problem with a short, to the point review, especially since Davey's doing a longer, more in-depth one as well.