Frenzal Rhomb
Smoko at the Pet Food Factory

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
May 24th, 2012 | 25 replies | 5,867 views

Review Summary: Frenzal Rhomb once again prove their worth as an Aussie gem.

One of the best bands to come out of my home country of Australia, Frenzal Rhomb have enchanted me (inappropriately) ever since I was a young lad. Even now, I still have memories of singing "All of my best friends are racist, my best friends are assholes" at the top of my lungs as I walked around the school grounds. Back in the days where it was compulsory to wear broad rimmed hats in Summer and swearing got a call home from the teacher. They were good times, and Frenzal Rhomb have had a place in my heart for years, but nostalgia isn't the only charm that keeps me loving this band year by year, by on by. Generally sticking to their classic formula, the band never gets old, always finding a way to stay fresh. I waited for this album for five years. Five long years. Forever Malcolm Young couldn't hold me forever. It was a great album, but it paled in comparison to the Frenzal classic A Man's Not A Camel. Enter Smoko At The Pet Food Factory.

The most immediately noticeable thing about this album is its crisp production. On their last album, the bass and guitars were too low in the mix and it sounded muddy at the best of times, but not this time. Every element has its time to shine all throughout this record. The drums sound superb, the bass is smooth, gliding along behind the vocals and guitars, but not overshadowed by them. Not to ramble on; the production is good- Nay, great.

Now, to the music itself: The albums dives straight into the album with the relentless Bird Attack. The song seems pretty par for the course when it comes to Frenzal Rhomb, but one of their heaviest tracks to date. Pounding drums, distorted guitar riffs and Jason utterly tearing his vocal chords when the song breaks down into a slower section (seemingly new territory for the Punk band), "MAGPIE. SEAGULL. IBIS."

After the first track, the album is melodic, memorable and has some of my favourite Rhomb lyrics, "You're sitting in your room being a Nazi cunt". Frenzal Rhomb don't seem care if they're being vulgar or rude. But as I mentioned a little earlier: Memorable. Just about every song on this album is a classic, with great hooks and catchy choruses, you can't help but want to sing along. The musicianship is top notch, with awe-inspiring drum fills and bass lines, these guys have never been less than average when it comes to playing their instruments. Hell, Lindsay even pulls out a couple of tasty guitar solos. But my favourite part of this record is the intro to the song Knuckleheads (or even the whole song). The intro is just an absolutely awesome build up of drums and guitars rising with a wicked bass line running along with them.

If there's one thing I have to mention, it's the intro to Hungry Jacks Carpark. This song's intro caught me off guard, and I thought the album was over and had jumped into a Kings of Leon album. Odd, no? A little ringing guitar riff that seems anything but Frenzal Rhomb, it works well, if though a little unfitting.

With sixteen tracks and only twenty-six minutes of run time, it's hard to mention all the little brilliant moments it has in one review, so I'll just say this: The album is filled with its fair share of heavy and mellow moments, but at heart it's nothing but a straight up Punk album, and what more could we ask? If these guys know anything, it's knowing how to write a damn good Punk song. Possibly my favourite Frenzal Rhomb release to date, and no doubt the most memorable, each song is a shining classic and a stellar addition to Frenzal's already great discography. Once again they prove they show no sign of slowing down, and, most importantly, that punk is not dead.

Pros
5000 Cigarettes
Knuckleheads
Alvarez
When My Baby Smiles At Me I Go To Rehab

Cons
A tad short.
Might be offensive to some cunts.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
4.3

MichaelSnoxall
May 24th 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE ITALICS. NOT THE ITALICS!!!

MichaelSnoxall
May 24th 2012

And the italics I ruined were meant to be bolded anyway. GAHH.

Maniac!

Pros and Cons are unnecessary

Other than that, review isn't too bad

taylormemer

Band rules hard.

RiffOOOClock
May 24th 2012

heard this album its very nice!

ThroneOfAgony

lol

AtavanHalen

haha, definitely not a 5 but frenzal rule

Blackbelt54
May 24th 2012

Listened to this album on spotify once it's good stuff

Douglas
May 25th 2012

Frenzal love is the best kind.

Digging: James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical

Captain North
May 25th 2012

Better than Russel Crowes band, which is a fucking pile of shit

ILikeRepetitiveMusic
May 25th 2012

Very glad someone reviewed this album,definitely one of my favourites from last year. Album is practically perfect in every way but if you're looking for something to throw in the con's then I say it's the chorus of Dead Celebrity. Vocal harmonies sound way too much like a Good Charlotte song for my liking ugh. Best songs are 5000 cigs, Alvarez and Edward Sausage Fangs. Have a pos

gurudave
May 25th 2012

I've been listening to Frenzal for 15 years now and they were one of the original bands back in the day that got me into listening to punk rock. It's immense to think that in the years following, a good deal of the 90s punk bands have deteriorated in quality of material they're putting out even if they are still around yet Frenzal can put out an album like this. It's hard to explain why it's so good but I guess this is the way punk rock is meant to be. Hard, fast melodic and fun! Go for a drive, wind the window down crank the shit out of it and sing along with the wind in your hair!

Owantjaaaa
May 25th 2012

everything about this album feels right

Digging: Adebisi Shank - This is the Third Album

Hubcool
June 6th 2012

Cool, I didn't know they had a new album out

iwanttopunchadolphin
March 28th 2013

"Might be offensive to some cunts"

Haha. Good review, great album.

GhettoHmbrglr
April 28th 2013

fuckin' knuckleheads.

Joejk3
June 1st 2014

apparently this is 4.6 average so i'll have to listen to it

GhettoHmbrglr
June 1st 2014

fun album but i have no idea how it is rated that high even with only 30 votes. album is a very solid 4 in my dumb opinion.

NeoSpaz
June 17th 2014

australians love things that remind us of our country
remember that most of the music we get exposed to is american culture that we cant relate to, so stuff like this evokes a real sense of home

Wolfhorde
June 17th 2014

Come on, OZ has a pretty lively music scene. But yeah, band rocks. Not a 5 for me, def. a good 4 though.