Balance And Composure/Tigers Jaw
Split

by mas westman USER (11 Reviews)
May 21st, 2012 | 20 replies | 3,585 views

Review Summary: If I was to say that love is what makes us aim to kill, then I'd aim it toward the sky, cause we don't know why or what can make us feel.

Balance and Composure have certainly made a name for themselves since releasing I Just Want To Be Pure in 2007, acquiring mostly positive acclaim for their first full length entitled Separation which was released just over a year ago. For a band that is seemingly having little conflict in reaching out to more than just their overwhelmingly dedicated and almost cult-like fanbase, Balance went into the studio in mid-2010 to record an EP that, while firmly rooted in it's influences, would go on to be seemingly overlooked in the hype surrounding Separation.

There's something almost desperate about the unforgiving and brooding tone that frontman Jon Simmons gives off, as the first minute of opener "Kaleidoscope" soars in and out of monumental hooks and fast paced Your Favorite Weapon-esque rock, not hesitating in any attempt to keep the listener interested. Whether it be the frequently used layered vocals, the utilization of the often risky choice of 3 guitarists, or the almost TOO straightforward lyrics, Balance have made it clear that they are here to be taken seriously and that they are not to be confused with any of their peers. Miles ahead of everyone that is currently in their "genre," Balance have crafted 4 songs that are most certainly worth your time.

While "Kaleidoscope," in it's own right, is a monumental opening track, the pinnacle of this release begins with sophomore track "Burden." This song begins with a Daisy-esque guitar hook that foreshadows the mysteriously bitter nature of the five minutes to come. What makes "Burden" so immaculate is the vaguely haunting content within the lyrics, with lines such as:

And you should of seen the way my eyes burned in disbelief
And I let them heat until the flames burst on right out of me
Hard to believe that I won't forget
About the burden buried deep inside my chest.
And I can't forget the night I destroyed both of our heads

This becomes a re-occurring theme of "Burden," as it beats those lines into your brain through 12/8 time signatures and infectiously catchy swing-time guitar leads. "Burden" never reveals specifically what Simmons is talking about, but it's better for that very reason, giving the listener reason to play it a million times to further comprehend it's mysterious nature. Many bands fail while attempting to utilize 3 guitarists, but Balance gives every one of them it's own strongpoint and purpose in every song it's accented. "Twenty Four" and "Rope" both come across as desperate and straightforward, using the "soft/loud" formula to their advantage near flawlessly. "Twenty Four" floats in and out of stadium caliber 90's grunge until a build-up creeps into the song about halfway in, obliviously changing the mood of the song from being anthem-y to the sound that Balance have created for themselves.

Attempting to pick out an "album highlight" from this release is near impossible, as every song is amazing in it's own right. Could it be the flawless transition into "Lost all sense in hoping for the best, another brother never seen again" in "Twenty Four?" Or the massive instrumental break in "Rope" that subtly reminds us all of The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me? The answer is up to you to decide. This album is flawless in it's ability to make such a massive statement in what is a seemingly short 4 songs, but it's cohesiveness and sincerity will undoubtedly make whoever allows it to come back for more. This split is a bitter album, but one that will be forever remembered amongst the greats of this genre.

Circa Survive Violent WavesThe Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza Danza IIII: The Alpha - The Omega
Counterparts The Current Will Carry UsThe Devil Wears Prada Dead Throne
Asking Alexandria Reckless and RelentlessThe Human Abstract Digital Veil
Caged (4.5)
Balance And Composure prove the future is theirs with their effort on this split EP....

May 21st 2012

fucked up the italicized lyrics in the middle and it won't let me edit it.

I haven't reviewed anything in quite sometime, so I'm sorry if this sucks. but I have a lot of very positive things to say
about this album, haha. and I apologize if this comes across as a tbt

Digging: Keep - Hypnosis for Sleep

May 21st 2012

one of the best gaddamn albums i've ever heard. has some of my favorite tigers jaw and b&c songs.
nice review... haha i don't think they sound THAT much like brand new, though.

May 21st 2012

they don't sound like them as much as I make it sound like, haha. but I went into writing this with the mindset that I was going to accent the things about it I like the most, and that just happened to be what has caught my attention most about this band.

thanks dude!

Ikarus14
May 21st 2012

Nice review, man. Have a pros.

Not much that I can fault find with this record. It's just simply a strong album throughout.

thanks man!

very strong record, indeed. stoked for their upcoming new album

May 21st 2012

Really wish people would learn how to add a split properly

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

May 21st 2012

Nobody likes looking up splits that way

So? That isn't the point

May 21st 2012

what's the correct way to do it? it definitely is stupid to only add a split under one of the artists.

May 21st 2012

Just create an artist page for the two artists featured on the split

May 21st 2012

yeh that's what i figured

DurzoBlint
May 21st 2012

"very strong record, indeed. stoked for their upcoming new album"

Do you know when its being released?

ThunderNeutral21

cutesey teenage hxc 5/5

May 22nd 2012

@Deviant
way too lazy man hahah, i figured there'd be no point since everyone that's rated this album has rated it from this artist page.

@durzo
sometime this year supposedly

DurzoBlint
May 22nd 2012

ah nice, hopefully sooner rather than later ^_^ I am still waiting on eleventh he reaches london's new album.... bah

June 6th 2012

Man this is awesome too.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

February 3rd 2013

i feel kind of bad that i wrote this review when this split was only on the balance and composure page. now it's the default for the whole split and i didn't say anything about tigers jaw

Spluger
March 1st 2013

This is easily one of my favorite splits. So happy I own this on vinyl.

Digging: Ceremony (USA-CA) - Violence Violence

March 1st 2013

i wish i could find this locally on vinyl

Spluger
March 2nd 2013

Yeah, I had to order it from Run For Cover and it took FOREVER for it to ship out, lol.