Daytrader
Twelve Years

good

by Adam Thomas STAFF
May 21st, 2012 | 83 replies | 11,693 views

Review Summary: Baby steps.

Daytrader's debut EP, Last Days of Rome, was a great start for the band, but for as good as it was, it was quite a disjointed listen. Something about it never quite came together to form something that was cohesively their own, even though it hinted that they were more than capable to pull it off. Well, Twelve Years, the first full length from the Long Island, NY based pop-punk act featuring former Crime in Stereo bassist Gary Cioni, finally sees Daytrader consolidating all of their best moments from their EP into something a little more solid and refined. There are no longer the stylistic gaps from song to song that, while entertaining in their own right, made Last Days of Rome feel like a demo in approach rather than unified collection of songs. There's still the understated angst and simmer right beneath the surface and the dual vocal assault that makes it all burst like fireworks when it hits full steam, but the highs don't come quite as often as needed to make it fully engaging throughout. Even when considering its lulls in between the highs, Twelve Years is a big step in the right direction for Daytrader. Given their pedigree and their position in the punk retooling of Rise Records a lot is expected from the band from the get go, but if they continue making diligent strides in the right direction, no matter how small, Daytrader's stock can only continue to climb. Twelve Years might not put Daytrader on quite the same level as recent releases by labelmates Hot Water Music, Cheap Girls, and Sharks but they're well on their way.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
Mary Paultese (3.5)
Ah, the debut album......

TommyIcedB (3.5)
Expect the choruses to be BIG....

May 21st 2012

i can almost cover this review up with my thumb

mental pos

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

Athom
May 21st 2012

yeah, i really didn't have much to say on this one.

Acanthus

Storm In A Teacup

Album cover of the year

michael1002
May 21st 2012

This is one of my favorite releases this year. It sounds and looks like you din't like it as much as my. Twelve Years takes me back twelve years to the days of Brand New, Taking Back Sunday and Cauterize.

auberginedreams
May 21st 2012

i only listened to like two songs, but this is just sort of meh for me. not bad, just kind of boring to be honest.

Aids
May 21st 2012

why are people complaining about short reviews? (here and the Death Grips one)

anyway, nice review. recs make me want to try this sort of but I probably won't.

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

Storm In A Teacup
May 21st 2012

Fuck the haters short reviews are great when they say what needs to be said and don't say what's unnecessary.

fish.

found this pretty boring

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

May 21st 2012

Nice review I haven't listened to this much but my opinion as of now is probably close to yours redsky

Irving

Your soundoff was too short, it has to be at least 50 characters

May 21st 2012

ok I'm actually digging this after some more listens, it's not amazing but solid nonetheless

Hep Kat

dude

Digging: Nipsey Hussle - Crenshaw

Phideaux
May 21st 2012

Album is pretty good. Nice baby review.

May 21st 2012

Hep maybe it will grow on me

Hep Kat
May 21st 2012

i was dude'ing the review but you do that

pmmets07
May 21st 2012

hep i'm awaiting your 4.5 review. i know it's in the works. i can feel it brewing

Acanthus
May 21st 2012

Short reviews like this are what I'd expect from a magazine, not an online review website. If I wanted this length there are plenty of other places to go, and though it's cool that he can write like this it really isn't anything I enjoy reading.

Then again Deviant's are often overly long...

I'm just a hater.