Swarms
Low Sun

good

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
May 17th, 2012 | 12 replies | 1,394 views

Review Summary: Warmer, softer and less open than Old Raves End, Low Sun remains an enjoyable and interesting listen despite being a small step backwards

With the warm reception last year’s Old Raves End received, it may interest and surprise people to find Swarms moving significantly away from their cold, instrumental style in favour of a warmer and more to-the-point sound. Being a 4 track EP which finishes in under 13 minutes, the drawn out textures that marked last year’s release with a cool, whispery vibe have been significantly meddled with; the drum patterns are slower and softer, the bass is less urgent and the synthesisers are toned down to give a warmer and closer vibe in contrast to the cold open spaces of Old Raves End. The most significant change is the inclusion of consistently sung vocals (in contrast to the sampled and chopped up vocals of before), which hint at a more R&B vibe with softly sung melisma hidden beneath soft distortion, vocoder and reverb. This further shifts the focus away from the delicate instrumental textures, but overall Low Sun maintains a chilled out and ambient vibe, even if it has been toned down and shortened. The best song by far is “Pandora”, with its gorgeous female vocal sample floating away in reverb with mild urgency, in contrast to the rest of the EP’s sound.

The shift in style might not be to everyone’s tastes, especially those who loved the captivating skyscapes of Old Raves End, but in many ways the changes have made Swarms’ music even more delicate and pretty than before. Alas, the vocals do not hold up the music as well as they could and the melodies are ultimately uninteresting and forgettable, but Low Sun remains a bright, enjoyable and chilled out EP which represents a band not afraid to experiment with their style.

JMSN †Pllajë†Say Lou Lou Better In The Dark
Sky Ferreira Night Time, My TimeM.I.A. Matangi
The Weeknd Kiss LandNK Nothing To Be Gained Here
good
Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (2)
Muzzled and subdued: a deeply disappointing release with one saving grace....

pizzamachine (3.5)
A sporadic wet dream....

Old Raves End

+1 for not saying 'dubstep' throughout the whole review

-1 for comparing it to ORE so much (not really much else to do though)

first review in a while, constructive criticism appreciated. getting in there before the devinator

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

Deviant.
May 17th 2012

You thought Old Raves End was cold?

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

20283 Comments

yeah I got that feeling. not "siberia cold" but mildly warm (i.e. less cold) winter day, skiing in the
alps on a sunny day, floating in the wind cold, if you see what I mean.

MalleusMaleficarum

rofl

Tyrael

20442 Comments

'You thought Old Raves End was cold?'

yea cmon Dev it's electronic music of course it's cold cmon bro why can't you see

20283 Comments

all electronic music is soulless

Tyrael

20442 Comments

so

electronic music = gingers?

phishing

hair metal = gingers

Eclecticist
May 17th 2012

Wait, all electronic music has no soul? What about Submotion Orchestra?

>joke

May 17th 2012

Definitely agreed that this is noticeably "warmer" than the album, especially the first and third tracks. I think it has something to do with the sine waveforms and vocal samples used, personally.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Omaha
May 17th 2012

I would definitely say Old Raves End was cold in parts, like I remember the track 'Hostile' giving off that type of vibe. Nicely written, have a pos.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty