Aphrodite's Child

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
May 16th, 2012 | 114 replies

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An exploratory odyssey through the most abstract realms of Progressive music.

Progressive rock is a marvelous genre. It is a musical style that celebrates experimentation, often incorporating elements of instrumental complexity that descents directly from the improvisational nature of Jazz music. Another familiar aspect of the genre that has become synonymous with Progressive rock is the idea of a conceptual theme within the lyrical content and musical orchestration, adding an element of storytelling to the listening experience. 666 by Aphrodite's Child, is the epitome of everything we love about Progressive rock. It is not only an epic adaption of Biblical passages from the book of Revelation, but a musical journey that transcends past traditional rock music and explores a vast variety of genres.

666 is a musical expansion, going far beyond the typical Psychedelic and Progressive rock music of the earlier albums by Aphrodite's Child. The album itself is a personal voyage where the musicians discover their full potential, experimenting with different classes of instruments and musical styles to simply see just how far they can take this album. "The Four Horsemen" is certainly the most accessible song from the album. It opens with a delicate ambience, soothing and gentle in nature, providing an elegant setting for a soft narration delivered by Demis Roussos. But from this ethereal atmosphere, as a powerful drum delivery erupts out of silence, we descend into a traditional rock sound. The instrumental sections in 666 are performed quite dexterously, especially the guitar arrangements. "The Battle Of The Locusts" and "Do It" are a prime example of the impressive musicianship in the album, displaying an evident influence from Jazz as they exhibit eruptions of elevated solos in an almost free-form environment.

As I said before, this album is an exploratory odyssey, a descension into abstract musical dimensions. Of course, 666 tends to favor a psychedelic atmosphere within the majority of its compositions, but we do see Aphrodite's Child leaving their comfort zone and enthusiastically voyaging into the previously unknown. There are various examples of songs incorporating a vast variety of influences ranging from, Musique concrète, Jazz, and even eastern influences with orchestrations that contain Raga aesthetics. "All The Seats were Occupied" coalesces all of the different genres that Aphrodite's Child explores in this album into one long musical voyage. "All The Seats were Occupied" is the penultimate track and it is a reflection of everything we have experienced in 666, opening with a gentle melodic texture and then transcending into lengthy instrumental passages that range from hypnotic psychedelic ambiences to an intense release of instrumental aggression. 666 is a true classic that has became recognized as one of the most important efforts in early Progressive rock. This is an album that must be heard by all fans of Progressive and Psychedelic music alike.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket
4.4
steveosk8s (4.5)
In one of the first concept albums, you'll find a psychedelic prog masterpiece....

May 15th 2012

I bought this on a vinyl record store a while back. the cover really captivated me, I assumed it was a Metal album but the owner told me it was a prog album- bought it right away. Its an amazing album.

Xenophanes
May 15th 2012

This sounds awesome. Good review, will look into this.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

oh shit 666 too scary for me

Kellerdeck
May 15th 2012

Brilliant review, paperbackwriter! Pos'd.

WillieDimension

good review feller

awesome album

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

May 15th 2012

how scary is it? like can i listen with my mom?

wanker

Kellerdeck

Wanker? lul.

May 15th 2012

does that answer my question?

71957 Comments

four horsemen is so fuckin gd

@Dotcommy
No, its not a "horror" album, mate. The lyrics are inspired by the book of revelation (its not a "christian" album either).
if youre actually interested, Look up "The Four Horsemen" or "All The Seats were Occupied"- they pretty much sum up the album.

tommygun
May 16th 2012

Great review as always, mate. You're on fire lately! Pos from me.

I've never even heard of these guys but you've got me interested. Gonna see if I can track it down somewhere

@TommyGun
Thanks, Tommy. I think you'd especially dig this band. Look up "The Four Horseman"- as KILL said, its really good.

May 16th 2012

Bro awesome review. Pos. I'm assuming this the album you were telling me about right? Can't to hear this. Being an avid understander of biblical passages this really intrigues me. Will def check.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

@Captain
Hey mate. Yeah this is the album. It gets kind of weird in a few tracks but I could see you liking it.

tommygun
May 16th 2012

Will do man, can't right now cos I'm sputniking on my phone at work but I've bookmarked this review so I won't forget

May 16th 2012

Yeah I'm listening to it right now. Sounds awesome bro. Someone uploaded the full album on YouTube. Gotta own this hard

rockandmetaljunkie
May 16th 2012

Dude your review is awesome, well done.
It's a good thing that you're interested in so many forms of music.

Keep on writing.

rockandmetaljunkie
May 16th 2012

Also, it's nice to see that you're keen on Greek Rock music. These guys were giants back then.
I suggest you to dig Socrates, another Greek legendary Rock band, if you haven't already.