Testament
The Gathering

by USER (1 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

This is a modern album from the Thrash Veterans Testament - it is their tenth album. The lineup for this album is:

Chuck Billy -- Vocals
Eric Peterson -- Rhythm/Lead Guitar
James Murphy -- Lead Guitar
Steve DiGiorgio -- Bass
Dave Lombardo -- Drums

This album is a lot heavier than previous noteable releases, and you can really hear a difference in the vocals and guitar especially.

The band sound like a heavier version of Slayer, mixed with some Death Metal, especially on this release.

My favourite, notable trccks.

Track 3 - Eyes Of Wrath
This is heavy as you could want a track to be, is well structured and is full of atmosphere. I noticed there was great drumming, but the vocals are shouted into as much distortion as the lyrics are almost unrecognizeable.-3/5

Track 9 - Allegiance
Probably the fastest track on the album, the drums leap out of the mix, and are a powerful feature of the song. As with lots of the songs on the album, the vocals fade blanky into the rhythm guitar's blare, which is disappointing due to the great lyrics.
-3/5

Track 10 - Sewn Shut Eyes
Absolutely incredible. Possibly the only song on the album that doesn't sound similar to the next one. Everyone in the band plays this song to perfection, and the lyrics are well thought out and truly meaningful. Pinch harmonics and double-bass drumming are in abundance, and used well. Certainly my favourite Testament song, and possibly my favourite song of all time. The only bad point about the song is that no tablature exists for it. Excellent, slaying, ripping, heavy, thrash metal.
-5/5

Track 11 - Fall Of Siepledome
Filled with great guitar hooks, and very, very fast. The vocals are truly horrid, though that can't distract this reviewer from the true power this song unleashes. If it the vocals were rerecorded, this would join Sewn Shut Eyes and Low among Testament's best songs.
-4/5

Andrew Buckley (4)
I reckon that The Gathering is one of the most unexpected (but welcome) comebacks in heavy metal his...

Jake Cole (4)
An appropriately-titled album collects the cream of the extreme metal crop for what may be Testament...

bicepman4000 (4.5)

DimebagDarrell
April 14th 2004

Good review on the track you did but you really should have reviewed em all and im sure its more death metal then thrash well at least u spelt thrash right :lol: check my testament review of practice what you preach

Squirrel
April 14th 2004

This is a good album, not Testaments best offering but still very good. Testament ere and are one of the better thrash bands out there; masters of riffs and great solos, with awesome drumming.
As said, this album is a bit closer to death, and its notable that the drums are played by none other than DAVE LOMBARDO people !!!! thats reason alone to get this.

Good review too Jon,

Anyone want me to review The Ritual ?

DimebagDarrell

[QUOTE=Squirrel_h4x]Anyone want me to review The Ritual ?[/QUOTE]

go for it.

i havent got the ritual yet so it will be intresting too see what people think of it

iliketoplaydrums10111
April 14th 2004

Good review, I should check them out

Det_Nosnip
June 21st 2004

I love this album...Lombardo ****in smokes on it, I actually enjoy his playing on this CD more than his stuff with Slayer, to be honest, although by far the best match for Testament's style is John Tempesta...that guy is one of the most underrated metal drummers.

bassaholica2004
July 1st 2004

I love Testament. I really like the song True Beliver off this album; you should have reviewed it. I didnt know that Lombardo was on this. That makes me like it even more.

satanic-panic
July 1st 2004

i got to say i've listened to most of Testaments albums. i would have to say they haven't made a bad album. my favs are practice what you preach, and souls of black

Mardy
November 17th 2004

good reviews, except that you only review four songs and not an overall charachter (it thats the right word) is given

PoliticallyIncorrectMetalhead
November 17th 2004

I'm not a big fan of them but it shall be checked.

LordDargon
November 18th 2004

I need to get this! D.N.R is great, and I heard Eyes Sewn Shut, MASSIVE double bass.

From what I've heard so far, 4/5.

canadapantsman
September 3rd 2005

good album... but it gets old after half a year heh. id agree with the rating. love testament. favorite thrash right up there with slayer.

Arise II
November 26th 2005

This album is simply SO FUCKING AWESOME! Love it throughout. Fall Of Sipledome may be one of the greatest metal tracks recorded (though, as the reviewer pointed out - I was A LOT happier before I knew the lyrics)

Standout tracks fer me are Fall of Sipledome, Riding The Snake and the (surprisingly beer-chugging-friendly) Careful What You Wish For.

Get this album, if not for the overall musical experience, then for the simply insane drumming

Aeksis8745
March 24th 2006

I have just got into testament and have a couple albums. Is this album really good enough to add to the collection i've heard some mixed reviews about it.This Message Edited On 03.24.06

Neoteric
March 24th 2006

This review is horrible for such an awesome band.

madthumbs
April 8th 2006

I worked "Sewn Shut Eyes" out on bass, i must post the tab one day.

Bfhurricane
July 16th 2007

They played a single show of the Sounds of the Underground tour right near where I live. I was very impressed... and the lead singer is probably the best air-guitarist Ive ever seen

rudolphhess88
October 21st 2007

I don't have this album yet but Jesus look at the line up!!! It's a metal supergroup if I have ever seen one. Dave Lombardo and Steve DiGiorgio in sync. Damn I cant wait to hear this

Zoo
October 21st 2007

In my opinion, this isn't one of their best. It should have been better for the line up they had.

south_of_heaven 11
October 21st 2007

Dave Lombardo fucking owns this album, but the songs suck basically.

Zoo
October 21st 2007

It wasn't that bad (or maybe that's just the fanboy speaking). Either way, I enjoyed it. I just don't think it came out the way it should have. Then again, not many albums do.