Terminal
How the Lonely Keep

by Flut USER (17 Reviews)
May 13th, 2012 | 9 replies | 2,258 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Catchy Post-hardcore/emo that never got much attention.

Terminal is a Post-Hardcore/Emo band from Mansfield, Texas. This band has been disbanded since 2006 and has had one reunion show. Interesting thing about this bands line-up is that Ryan Conley, Lucas Starr and James Erwin were in this band who are now all members of Oh, Sleeper. (Though Lucas and Ryan are no longer in Oh, Sleeper)

This album at sometimes has a very dark depressed sound, yet at the same time its almost cheerful. Vocals are very emotion and have a whiny edge to them. But not annoyingly. His vocals are pretty much the standard in the genre. Most of the time he is clean singing but he brings in the screams here and there. The lyrics talk about emotional struggle and other post-hardcore stuff.

"My legs are shaking
As I stare into the waking
Guess I always knew
You were broken on the inside
Watched life passing you by
But you couldn't move
And no one stopped to ask you"

The guitars themselves are what really interesting there are plenty of melodies and drop-d riffing with some sweet ideas thrown in. Like tapping, plenty of amazing catchy hooks with awesome vocal lines. The dual guitar work great on this album. The rhythm section for the most part does its job. Nothing to special about the drums or the bass. The work together to make the songs whole and not pull much attention away from the vocals or guitar.

But of course their is plenty of wrongs on this album. The songs get repetitiveness half-way in the album before the last two tracks which throw some new ideas on the album. Like the underoath sounding riffs on the title track and the soft acoustic song foster. The vocals whiny edge can be a little boring after a while since he doesnt scream often like most Post-Hardcore bands do.

For the most part this album is just post-hardcore standard nothing too new or great, but its catchy, emotion and interesting. People who like As Cities Burn, Underoath and Oh, Sleeper will find the most enjoyment out of this album.

HammerFall Glory to the BraveMisery Signals Mirrors
Misery Signals Of Malice and the Magnum HeartMisery Signals Misery Signals
Aim For The Sunrise No Kings, No ChainsAim For The Sunrise The Bigger Picture; Hope

May 12th 2012

alright. this needed a review. next i might review hatebreeds first album.

May 12th 2012

its pretty fun to listen to.

May 13th 2012

i wish they would fix the editing thing, i hate seeing errors i can easily fix.

SgtPepper

Hey Flutter,
This is a decent review. You give a good overview of both the pros and cons of the album. Though there are a few grammatical errors, but I can see your aware of them by your comment above. I've never heard of this band, but Hardcore has never been my bag.
Anyway, have a pos.

May 13th 2012

thanks man. yeah i wish i could fix the grammatical errors, but i cant. cant believe i didnt see
them when i was writing.

SgtPepper
May 13th 2012

I suggest you re-write the review with the edits, and take them to the mods thread. they will fix them up for you. I have gone to them several times myself for review edits.

May 13th 2012

ah didnt think about that thanks man.

ChuckyTruant
May 13th 2012

Good review brah. Short and sweet

wacknizzle
May 13th 2012

Good review flutter, I never heard this before, ill have to check it out.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine