Georgia Anne Muldrow
Seeds

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
May 12th, 2012 | 23 replies | 5,115 views

Review Summary: An excellent neo-soul collaboration with Madlib

Sans-hyperbole, Georgia Anne Muldrow is one of the most talented hip-hop artists today - voice, production, lyricism, entrepreneurship, she is the complete package. And yet, the closest she's come to a memorable performance is 2009's Umsindo, a record that far overstayed its welcome with too many interludes and a questionable amount of filler. Seeds is Muldrow's 6th try since then, begging for an answer as to how such a talent can fill 5 lesser releases within a two year span - seemingly without quality control of any sort. This scenario, however, finds Muldrow relinquishing her typical creative control over production duties to willing fellow Californian/ contemporary hip-hop legend Madlib. The Beat Konducta already has proven chops in the neo-soul circuit (most notably on Erykah Badu's New Amerykah releases), and it's interesting to hear what he can do over the course of an entire record with an almost equally talented vocalist.

While not as wizard-scientifical as his past productions, Seeds runs the course with classic funk-inspired soul, a progressive hip-hop twist, and an immutable spotlight on the vocals. Apparent immediately on the self-titled opening track, this is a good thing. Muldrow's voice plays well off the production with her versatile range and seamless incorporation of multiple different vocal styles; R&B, classical, pop, African chant influences, it's all here and used well. Standout "Kali Yuga" overlays an ultra-smooth hook with an equally so bass-line and subdued drumming, but it's not until the "Husfriend" intro and otherwise where her true vocal capabilities take center stage. Creative use of multi-track recording emphasizes a very modern composition with heavy roots in free jazz.

Interestingly enough, Muldrow's production is truly missed - while similar to the Beat Konducta, it is a bit less Fantastic Planet and seems much more familiar - main case in point being later album track "The Few". A seriously boring Madlib beat rides behind what is quite possibly one of the most beautiful multi-tracked choruses ever recorded - one can only imagine what Muldrow herself could have done with this track. But this is just a minor complaint compared to the main detractor of Seeds; her wordy, metaphysical musings take center stage when they likely shouldn't. Although she is a great poet and lyricist, a little restraint would help in these situations. Seeds is still a great record nonetheless, and shows Muldrow hasn't yet lost focus since Umsindo. Hopefully her magnum opus is forthcoming.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands

WashboardSuds

I'm interested

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins®

May 13th 2012

yea sounds tight, never looked into this chica before

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

May 13th 2012

she's tight, but dont let her lyrics turn you off if it's not your thing. It's almost not mine; she's definitely one of those people that will name her kid "Moon" or something thereof

May 13th 2012

couple tracks in, this sounds great

right on. i wouldn't stop listening to RAP Music on account of this :]

May 13th 2012

haha just peeped your review on that, that album is fucking ridiculous

but yea this is right around the 4 region for me, I can definitely see myself jamming it in my car all summer

May 13th 2012

nice, yeah i've blasted Kali Yuga while cruising around town. cruising isn't as fun now though that i've quit smoking :[

May 13th 2012

haha yeah I feel that, I've cut myself down to two smokes a day now but I try to avoid doing it in the car

I've got about 40 minutes on the commute each way plus I'm in the car quite a bit during the week for work too, so it's definitely tough to resist burning a few

May 13th 2012

yeah i love smoking so much. oh well...

greg84
May 13th 2012

It's very good from what I've heard. Seeds is such a great track.

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

Tupik
May 13th 2012

f*ck yeah, I've been on a big Madlib trip for the past month or so, so I'll definitely check this out.

Bloodbirds
May 13th 2012

That bass in Calabash ...

PorkchopExpress
May 14th 2012

She is just consistently great.

Digging: Pure X - Angel

HenchmanOfSanta
May 14th 2012

This isn't at all my style of music, but she is pretty great on "Roses" by Mos Def and one of those song titles is Kilik's main weapon in Soul Calibur so that's pretty cool.

man i suck with kilik.

Roses is incredible, but I like her original version much more without mos interrupting.