Trioscapes
Separate Realities

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
May 9th, 2012 | 104 replies | 18,106 views

Review Summary: An intense voyage.

Trioscapes is the latest musical project of Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me, who brought together musicians, Walter Fancourt and Matt Lynch, to record their debut album, Separate Realities. This is a truly impressive performance, one embellished with a high level of musical intensity. The sound of Separate Realities is very reminiscent of The Mahavishnu Orchestra, not only in its rambunctious depiction of Jazz Fusion, but as well as in its enthusiasm for the cosmic effects found in typical Progressive rock. The album opens with "Blast Off", and instantly the music erupts with elaborate instrumentation from each musicians. Walter Fancourt's saxophone performance is mind-blowing, bombarding the listener with an excessive release of solos that will be sure to overwhelm the senses. Then of course we have bassist Dan Briggs, who always augments the groove of the music with his enthralling basslines. We can really see Dan Briggs and Walter Fancourt connecting with each other throughout the album, combining their prowess to manipulate the melodic structure of the music with innovative rhythmic variations.

The musicians in Trioscapes have certainly developed quite the synergy during the recording sessions, and it can be easily perceived by this performance alone. Most of the compositions in the album follow a very elevated pace, but there are moments of alleviation when Trioscapes experiments with a more atmospheric approach. "Gemini's Descent", for example, is a very gentle piece. It has a soothing texture decorated with ambient effects and tribalistic aesthetics that induces a delicate vibe. "Curse Of The Ninth" is one of the highlights in the album because it is an amalgamation of the many different influences that inspired this project. It expresses elements of atmospheric psychedelia within its sound, before bursting with energetic solos of utterly chaotic instrumentation that appear and vanish as they please.

The album also contains a cover of "Celestial Terrestrial Commuters" from The Mahavishnu Orchestra's 1973 classic, Birds Of Fire. This particular rendition of "Celestial Terrestrial Commuters" was actually one of the first ventures that the band produced. It's an interesting cover because where in the original John McLaughlin directed the song with his guitar work, we instead find Walter Fancourt's saxophone carrying us along throughout most of the song. In the end, Trioscapes proves to be yet another promising endeavor from Dan Briggs. Separate Realities is an album that perfectly coalesces the cosmic ambience of Progressive rock with the improvisational atmosphere of Jazz Fusion. And when given the attention and enthusiasm it requires, one may find Separate Realities to be a truly entertaining experience right to the very end.

Broken Bells After The DiscoSound and Fury (FI) Pulsacion
Jail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular EmotionChick Corea The Vigil
Pond (AUS) Hobo RocketBlack Sabbath 13
Jacob Royal STAFF (3.5)
It doesn't always make a hell of a lot of sense, but Separate Realities is still quite the journey a...

trending jazz albums

Piano Nights

May 9th 2012

Worked on it all day, i hope you guys like it. This is probably my last review in a while.

Willie
May 9th 2012

Much better. Great album.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

wacknizzle

11909 Comments

Good review, I didn't know this came out today. Blast Off and Separate Realities were both really good songs, I have high hopes for the rest. I might have to go get this and the Safety Fire before fye closes.

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

BassDemon333

Does this contain amazing Briggs bass lines? If so I might have to listen

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

ILJ
May 9th 2012

Cool shit. Excited to listen to this.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

Dashy
May 9th 2012

Wasn't too big a fan of the streamed song. How does the rest of the album compare to it?

@Willie
Thanks for featuring it, I thought you had to be a staff member for that.

@BassDemon
Yes, I should have mentioned his bass parts, Dan is a machine.

@Dashy
For the most part the album has a very frantic style of Jazz fusion just like it, but there are some slower songs and others that
kind of dwell into the cosmic effects of Orbs.

Cyan1d3
May 9th 2012

I agree everyone! Mindless song structures that don't go anywhere, and pretentious technicality that serves no purpose but to show off is the BEST kind of music.

Cyan1d3
May 9th 2012

Although I admit, this isn't horrible. It's nothing like the depths of music hell that BtBaM occupies.

May 9th 2012

cool bro ill for sure check this out, pot's

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

HenchmanOfSanta
May 9th 2012

I figured this would be pretty meh, but I do love Mahavishnu so maybe I'll check it.

Motiv3
May 9th 2012

Nah, this is really good. Tied with Clubroot for AOTY for now. Awesome album.

May 9th 2012

I found this to be a lot more enjoyable than T.R.A.M

That middle part in Blast Off is definitely my favourite part on the album.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

xandermander
May 9th 2012

Yeah, one listen through and I can tell this is going to get a lot of plays. Experiments in every direction and has a lot of "holy shit" type moments.

Jruined
May 9th 2012

This is pretty enjoyable. Reminds me of French TV or Zorn.

Jruined

Nice review by the way.

MO

nice I wanna hear this

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

whywontyoudie
May 9th 2012

good review man. all i've heard is Blast Off but it was pretty awesome.

Voivod
May 9th 2012

pos and congrats on the feature.

I must check this.