The Samuel Jackson Five
The Samuel Jackson Five

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
May 5th, 2012 | 29 replies | 8,656 views

Review Summary: The group is at a crux in their career where they must choose a direction and run with it.

The Samuel Jackson Five is a fairly modern interpretation of neo-progressive rock that forgoes extreme complexity for melodic and compositional pursuits. But while the group's self-titled fourth studio LP aims to expand their sonic palette, it misses the fundamental creative blocks upon which they are built. Spotify preview "Ten Crept In" did well to prepare fans for SJ5's attempted entry into the vocal arena; after an immediate shock at the existence of said vocals it becomes apparent they are treated as yet another instrumental layer in this scenario. The record proper uses vocals much less than anticipated based on this preview, but does an excellent job in crafting meaningful voice-driven prog-rock. "Electric Crayons" is a perfect rendition of this new incarnation, forging heartfelt, oft-falsetto melodies and epic choruses. Where SJ5 falters, however, is what seems to be a missing link between itself previous offerings. While driven and melodic, tracks like "Never Ending Now" and "Race To The Self-Destruct Button" tend to omit the creative usage of dynamics and tempo the band emphasized on Goodbye Melody Mountain and Easily Misunderstood. The real perplexity here is why the tracks with vocals lack this flaw. It almost seems as if a majority of the compositions here were made with vocals in mind, but they were removed prior to recording. Fans of prior releases will find respite in "Mockba" and "And Then We Met The Locals", the latter a more progressive rendition of their sound highlighted by a blisteringly noisy sax solo at the tracks climax. "The Samuel Jackson Five" is an enjoyable yet inconsistent effort, finding the group at a crux in their career where they must choose a direction and run with it.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf

Xenophanes
May 5th 2012

I forgot that this band existed until someone asked me if I had heard it. Spot on, I agree completely.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Wolfhorde

12070 Comments

lol this name, I gotta check this out later.

dylanjones42
May 5th 2012

I have to listen to this purely for the name haha.

May 5th 2012

Check out Easily Misunderstood or Melody Mountain instead of this.

Wrote this review twice, first time it didn't save :[

Maniac!

best band name ever

StrangerofSorts
May 5th 2012

That's a very long sentence...

which one

Wolfhorde

12070 Comments

He's saying that this seems more like a kafkaesque sentence than anything structured. (no paragraphs)

May 5th 2012

oh well. So anyway, this album.

fulgrim
May 5th 2012

quite enjoyed Easily Misunderstood, will have to check this out.

Athom
May 5th 2012

who do they think they are with that album cover? ELO?

Ire

i was just thinking the same thing

Beauville88
May 5th 2012

Wow, this came out of nowhere.

May 5th 2012

i saw the cover and i was like sweet spaceships but then i listened to it and it sounds nothing like spaceships

deathofasalesman
May 5th 2012

Wow, this came out of nowhere.

Real talk.

DeathsThread
May 6th 2012

i thought this was going to be jackson 5 covers with Samuel L. Jackson impressions

bogert

i was just thinking the same thing

Arucard
May 6th 2012

This is sick. Checked it out because of the album art, really cool album. Not my usual taste at all either.

Good review!

HenchmanOfSanta
May 6th 2012

This is really cool and smooth. Not as good as Easily Misunderstood but I dig it.

Imperial
May 6th 2012

Tremulous Silence is really good.