pg.lost
Key

by Eli EMERITUS
May 4th, 2012 | 34 replies

Review Summary: No longer the genre's ugly duckling, pg.lost finally shows what it's made of with its third record, "Key."

Swedish post-rock outfit, pg.lost, always seems to get put on the back burner in the world of instrumental music. Despite being consistently passable, it’s not difficult to see why the group always escapes the collective consciousness in favor of other more well-known bands. With its common usage of builds and crescendos, and often trite attempts at profundity, pg.lost can easily be thrown in with the “post-Explosions in the Sky” conglomerate. Well, that was until its latest outing, Key, which sees the band lose some of the derivative baggage in exchange for a much more amiable sense of individuality.

Okay, well the band hasn’t quite shed off every inspiration. Yet instead of sucking off the teat of every twinkle laden post-rock band out there, pg.lost has instead decided to add a little more rock into its sound. One can hear Russian Circles, Form and Fate, and The Evpatoria Report rear their heads when things start to get a bit heavier. It’s a welcome change of pace from a band that had previously relied too heavily on the over dramatization of its music. “Terrain” is a prime example of the band’s revitalized sense of songwriting. Retaining the more beautiful aspects of its sound, pg.lost adds the aforementioned dense instrumentation with panache and skill. Like much of Key, the song is very driven, with the percussion playing a large role in keeping a deliberate pace. But the true heavyweight comes in the form of the album’s closer, “Weaver.” “Weaver” is surprisingly very different from the rest of the record, as it lacks the overall focus of each of the other tunes. However, what it lacks in focus it makes up for with great atmosphere and stunning songwriting. Haunting keys and guitar paint a sense of urgency as the song goes through multiple transitions until its cathartic and breathtaking release. “Weaver” feels as if pg.lost has finally realized its desired sound, only after moving on to greener pastures.

Key isn’t the perfect record, nor is it an album to bring the genre’s detractors into the fold. Despite having some new ideas, they aren’t really all that original out of context, just new to the band. As a cohesive package, however, the album succeeds in offering up a wonderfully produced and lovingly written batch of songs. Key is the album pg.lost needed to make, and it’s great to see a band so fully capable finally reach its potential.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
minty901 (3.5)
pg.lost remain fixated on a path well-trodden, but when the music is this good, does that matter?...

May 4th 2012

So over a month ago I told Deviant. that I wasn't going to review this but then I liked it so then I reviewed it. So apparently Deviant. is always right in regards to what i review.

The End.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

oh holy shit my 150th

FelixCulpa
May 4th 2012

Yeah I just saw you had 150 reviews so congrats Xeno! Nice use of "Deviant." Totatly threw me of at first until I got it was intentional, lol.

Rev
May 4th 2012

I need more "less typical" post rock albums to listen to

I'll check this out

May 4th 2012

Take less typical very, very lightly. This less typical in the context that this band has always.been painfully average. Yeah it sounds new, but not in regards to the genre, just for them.

Rev
May 4th 2012

No, I can guess that this sounds like post-TEINACDPcore

I mean as far as typical bands goes, not the typical generic sound

May 4th 2012

like this band --- good use of loud and soft dynamics

May 4th 2012

xenophanes fuck off this bands first album was not painfully average... unlike this review hahahahahaa

May 4th 2012

just jokin man review is cool

Poet
May 4th 2012

It's the perfect music to study to though.

May 4th 2012

Yeah I realize the band's first album gets mad praise--not only from sputnik but from everywhere--but I just found it to be passable (I think I have it at a 3). And yeah I'll agree that they do make good use of loud and soft but hell a volume button can do that too (jk). Personally find that a lot of bands do the loud/soft thing well, but not many actually have captivating music to go with it.

Tyrael

20899 Comments

holy shit alach sighting

stellar review my friend, I'm jealous of your godlike writing skills

May 4th 2012

"i kind of hate post rock these days"

despite my retardedly large post-rock pie slice I can somewhat agree with this

May 4th 2012

"Mono/World's End Girlfriend, Rachel's"

That's what pops up under mine lol

Jethro42

Happy 150th, Xeno!

DoubtGin
May 4th 2012

their worst but still better than your average post-rock album

Dimor
May 4th 2012

Heard a bit of this a while ago and it was pretty good. And a 3.5 is still worth checking out i guess.

"Happy 150th, Xeno!"

Thanks Jethro : 3

Good to see you

minty901

2067 Comments

good review. i gave it a 4 in my review but since then 3.5 has felt more right.

Sanders
May 4th 2012

"Explosions in the Sky Every Fucking Record That This Band Has Made"

SOLD