Wodensthrone
Curse

by DarkNoctus CONTRIBUTOR (39 Reviews)
May 3rd, 2012 | 61 replies | 8,104 views

Review Summary: a more than welcome improvement on Loss in every single way.

Improving in all the right ways and taking no steps back can be a bit of a challenge. British black-metallers Wodensthrone, however, seem to have had little trouble in achieving that. Their first album was a fairly impressive display and understanding of atmospherics, an enjoyable, if contrived offering of synth-slathered atmospheric black metal. Though perhaps a little too reminiscent of Negură Bunget without a lot of the diversity involved, it was an enjoyable album for those who appreciated the atmosphere of Om who just wanted something to put on to compliment the atmosphere around them. But that's just about all it was able to achieve. It's not necessarily a bad thing, either - the repetitive nature and predictability proved to really compliment certain moods for when you wanted an experience that was as dark as it was fairly inoffensive and complimentary to a particular niche. Though, many people (and understandably so) wanted more. Well, here it is. Curse proves that Wodensthrone have a lot of worth beneath being heavily reliant on the atmospherics, the predictability fading away into an immensely enjoyable atmospheric black metal album. Curse is tense, pummeling and beautiful in all the right ways to make a band like this shine, and where it still doesn't have the personality of similar bands, it shows a certain enjoyable tone played to nearly perfection.

One of the biggest and most evident changes is the fact that this is unmistakably a black metal album in both style and intensity. Curse is a much heavier and thicker album, where Loss almost felt like the black metal instrumentation was just there to accentuate the mood, Curse is absolutely ferocious at times - and far more times than the debut. The drums are far less 'stock-standard' than you would have expected after hearing the debut, which is a more than welcome change - making the entire experience feel a lot less monotonous. Where the folk/symphonics have taken a bit of a step back, this makes the album age far better and makes the folk-inspired moments far more striking as opposed to slathering a chord wash over every tremolo-picked lead. The keyboards are still there but they are just at the point where they are far more complimentary as opposed to taking the helm, and this works for what Wodensthrone were obviously striving for. The occasional breaks with flutes and acoustic guitars ring through far more masterfully and enjoyably than anything on Loss, finally flowing better and sounding far more natural than before. Where before it sounded almost as if it was a bunch of ideas put together that happened to sound pretty good, the cohesion and focus here has made everything glue together in a far more convincing way.

But the thing that really sets this apart from the previous album is the fact that it doesn't just sound like an exercise of one aesthetic over and over. Where the sounds on each track are similar, the stronger performances from absolutely everyone involved makes it feel a lot less like a bland repeat of the same song over and over. It is definitely true that a lot of tracks here follow a similar structure but Wodensthrone make it work. Tracks do occasionally wear before they're out, but for a sophomore album it's a very welcome and gratifying improvement for a band that is obviously starting to show the potential they began with. The vocals, which where a gripe before, are now one of the many strengths of the album. The new vocalist handles his role far better, far from the 'pretty much just there' performance before. Stylistically it's a very similar display of rasping/screaming, and though unusually low in the mix it feels far stronger and more multi-faced than the previous vocalist. Not to mention that there are moments here that are truly memorable, an area Loss could have used improvement on - some tracks having very memorable and evocative melodies and riffs. "First Light" for instance is a fantastic track, proving to be the penultimate composition of the band so far, taking their composing style and coupling it with great atmospherics, beautiful melodies and perfect progressions that truly show what music like this is capable of.

Curse is the album that just about all fans of Wodensthrone wanted them to release - a confident, marked improvement from Loss that truly shows the band getting somewhere, improving in absolutely every aspect. There's no reason that any fans of Loss wouldn't be ecstatic with this offering, and where it re-invents just about nothing, Curse stands testament to the fact that a re-invention isn't always the best move. For those unconvinced, or those who thought Loss was too repetitive and bland, at least streaming a track or two (and make it either "First Light" or "Battle Lines") would be well worth your time. As enjoyable as it is impressive, Curse is the success many people didn't see coming - but said people are very glad it came.

Plus, nature is pretty cool. :]

Alcest ShelterThe Howling Void Nightfall
God Is An Astronaut OriginsAstronoid Stargazer
Saor RootsDeafheaven Sunbather

reviewwwww!! :] criticism is of course welcome [:

oh and the release date on the site is wrong. according to metallum the release date is april 23rd, and the band started selling copies online then - don't delete this, thanks!!

Digging: Mournful Congregation - Concrescence of the Sophia

May 3rd 2012

hahaha someone negged it already

no noctus love? :[

Wreath
May 3rd 2012

Haven't heard this one yet but I quite liked Loss back when it came out!

Crysis
May 3rd 2012

Only given this album two listens but I think I agree with you. pos.

VisionsFromTheDarkSide
May 3rd 2012

Fuck I wanted first review on this. Oh well, good review, pos

Wolfhorde

12053 Comments

Will read and listen (to the whole thing) tomorrow. Somecrazyhow atm I manage to actually listen to a shitload of albums in one sitting.

thanks guys! :]

pos my brother

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

zaruyache
May 3rd 2012

Yeah pos. I thought the new song they released a while ago was kinda boring. Will I like this album if I didn't like that song?

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

May 3rd 2012

yeah, i think you would. that song is a bit of an 'odd one out' :]

Wizard

19206 Comments

This band suffers from so much mediocrity. This had better change my mind NOCTUS!!! ; )

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

May 3rd 2012

i hope i'm not deceiving you, wizard! :]

fulgrim
May 3rd 2012

Really liked Loss, will have to give this a listen.

Hawks
May 3rd 2012

Band rules. I need to hear this asap.

Digging: Mayhem - Esoteric Warfare

definitely worth hearing!! :]

Acanthus
May 4th 2012

Listening to Battle Lines now since First Light only had a live version available.

Really wanted some new metal to listen to, hopefully this fills that need!

Pos'd sir.

Edit: Consider me sold on this, the vocals are definitely what I was hoping they'd be.

Digging: Die Sektor - Applied Structure In A Void

fulgrim
May 4th 2012

fairly impressed after a single listen, will have to give it a few more though before I can decide whether or not I like it more that Loss.

May 4th 2012

i've listened to it a good 6 times or so and it's showed a lot of replay value :]

Hawks
May 4th 2012

Well this is awesome. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

Rail
May 4th 2012

Final line sold me, so I'll send some positive vibrations your way :] Looking forward to hearing this.

Digging: Tipper - Forward Escape