George Harrison
Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison

by tcaino74 USER (6 Reviews)
May 3rd, 2012 | 2 replies | 1,844 views

Review Summary: Let it Roll highlights George Harrison’s solo work and gives the listener a taste of his talent and creativity

George Harrison’s guitar and writing talents seem to take a back seat to the grand writing and arrangement of McCartney and Lennon, but his solo work is up there with Paul and John's. There is no debating the talent of the Beatles whether you’re a fan or not. One of the rare feats is the solo material that came after the Beatles, especially from Mr. Harrison. Let it Roll is a compilation of Harrison post Beatle solo work. The album has a balance of slow emotional songs (“All things must pass”) mixed with some fun upbeat modern track example (“Mind set on you”).

The true highlights of the compilation are the live version of “While My guitar Gently Weeps”, and “Here Comes the Sun”. Even though these had already been released by the Beatles, the live versions come out more genuine and truly capture Harrison’s sound. “My Sweet Lord” also shines as it highlights Harrison vocal abilities that with his previous band was under utilized. “Isn’t it a Pity” is a beautifully arranged song that makes a bold statement and wraps up the compilation perfectly.

George Harrison legacy already stands and this compilation only builds on to it, and in some ways makes you appreciate the Beatles even more. There will probably never be a group who will have the talent and success collectively and individually as they had. Since this is compilation it may lack the direction or the themes of his individual albums, however I feel most listeners will enjoy some of the tracks or the collection as a whole.

James Taylor Greatest HitsPink Floyd A Foot in the Door
Merle Haggard Working in TennesseeStevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood
Tom Waits Rain Dogs

SgtPepper
May 3rd 2012

To be perfectly honest, I often enjoy George Harrison's contribution much more than Lennon or McCartney in the Beatles. I love his Indian-Raga stuff like "Within You Without You", and his latter rock stuff like "While My Guitar", "Here Comes The Sun", and "Something". I wish he would have written more.

This was actually pretty good, he has some decent solo stuff. anyway, good review. POS'd

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Twelve51
May 4th 2012

George was such an under rated songwriter, which is amazing considering he was a fucking Beatle. All Things Must Pass is easily the best solo album by a Beatle, and it's a pity he didn't get more chances to write songs on Beatles albums because the majority of his contributions to the band's albums are outstanding.