Woe, Is Me
Number[s]

by the world is a beautiful place and we are nothing like fish USER (30 Reviews)
April 28th, 2012 | 39 replies | 2,089 views

Review Summary: Instead of utilizing their full potential, “Woe, Is Me” unfortunately decides to stick to the doctrine that most metalcore bands follow: reduce, reuse, recycle.

I hate wasted potential. Absolutely hate it. Whenever a band has the tools and ability to create something amazing, and instead chooses to follow in the footsteps of generic counterparts, I find myself sadly shaking my head. Unfortunately, Woe, Is Me, is one of those bands.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually like this album. But whenever I listen to this, the thought that this could be so much better keeps nagging at the back of my head. The end product turns out to be somewhat better than your average metalcore release, and that in itself is a disappointment. Somewhat better? Hell, with the talent on board, Woe, Is Me had the chance to produce a good, maybe even great, metalcore album.

The most impressive part of this album is, to me, the vocal work. Singer Tyler Carter has an incredible voice comparative to that of Jonny Craig’s (Craig even provides guest vocals on two tracks). Soulful, emotional, and rich, his voice is an acrobat, dancing around each track. Carter truly is an exceptional singer: he might even be one of the best vocalists in the entire scene. Bohn is no pushover either. His lows are deep, harsh, and gravely. He growls along and then easily transitions to his higher range. His screams, quite simply, sound good, and fit into the dark atmosphere that the rest of the band attempts to create. This vocal lineup is solid.

Instrumentally, however, the band starts to fall flat on its back. Woe, Is Me seems to be addicted to the breakdown. Make no mistake; I do not hate the breakdown. I feel that breakdowns, when used sparingly and fittingly, contribute greatly to a track’s heavy atmosphere. But everything’s only good in moderation. The guitarists chug along and one-note so much that, in the absence of vocals, each song would be indistinguishable from its fellows. I refuse to believe that the guitarists are not more capable. They are definitely withholding technical skill, to stick to the breakdown formula that plagues and characterizes metalcore. Drums, however, are another matter. Drummer Austin Thornton hails from the critically acclaimed and now-defunct Of Machines, which released perhaps one of the best post-hardcore albums in existence (no exaggeration). Thornton fills the album out skillfully, demonstrating that, while the guitars are slacking off, he has no reason to. He is still a skilled drummer and his relentless playing keeps the album on a solid foundation.

The bassist barely deserves mention. Perhaps it isn’t even his fault, but, like in most other metalcore acts, he is barely audible. The lead guitarists and the powerful vocalists easily smother the sound of the bass guitar. The keyboardist and programmers actually do their job well. While at some points, they flood the airwaves with synth annoyingly reminiscent of Asking Alexandria, at other points they sparingly add that little touch to actually enhance the song. An example of this would be the beginning of "[&] Delinquents", and the first few sweet seconds of “Mannequin Religion”.

In summary, while the guitarists demonstrate little skill, the band as a whole is solid. However, some songs aren’t cobbled together well. Songwriting is rather weak at points, and although Tyler Carter is a great vocalist, he is inconsistent in formulating catchy verses, and obviously Michael Bohn works more than he does. Sometimes Carter displays strokes of genius, but more often than not, his lines are, quite frankly, not interesting. Additionally, it seems that he is constantly struggling to make his voice heard. He seems to be battling with the rest of the instruments, so the result is sloppy and distracting. This is clearly shown at the beginning of “Mannequin Religion”.

Carter’s inconsistency is unfortunate, because when he unleashes his true talent, the results are incredible. The tracks "[&] Delinquents" and “Our Number[s]” become the most enjoyable on the album, and it is because Tyler’s voice blows everything away with catchy hooks and admirable execution. It is exciting and brilliant, but it is rare.

This band could’ve been bigger. They could’ve been better. Woe, Is Me had the talent, but songwriting inconsistencies, breakdown addiction, and low levels of creativity prevent this disappointingly average release from being the great metalcore album it could’ve been. And I’m sure that I’m not the only one who hates wasted potential.

Recommended tracks: “[&] Delinquents”, “Our Number[s]”, "Desolate [The Conductor]"

Dionaea StillSam Smith Nirvana
Analog Rebellion Ill'e GrandeThe Fray Helios
Pharrell G I R LStand Up Get Down We Have Something To Celebrate
3.1
good
Myself2me (3.5)
This band is taking common materials that are heard commonly in this genre and creating something th...

Commodities (3.5)

P.J. Quinones (2.5)
Blandest & most hyped up post-hardcore/metalcore act since…wait…...

American Dream

Genesi[s]
recommended by reviewer
Of Mice & Men The Flood

sspedding
April 27th 2012

pretty good effort with the review. You raise a number of good points for the most part but you occasionally go overboard with a couple of similes. "his voice is an acrobat, dancing around each track." This doesn't work as acrobats are completely incomparable to someones voice and they also don't dance. You sing the praises of the singer for a huge proportion of the review and then go on to say that most of his vocal lines are boring. Doesn't really make sense. Just sort out a few of the overly wordy areas and you are good.

CakeWithCream
April 27th 2012

yeah tyler carter is amazing

band is 2/7 of what it began as

Digging: Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together

So, Underoath is 0/6

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

April 27th 2012

No fuck you, Chris is an original member. Also, Underoath has been around since like what 97?

Woe only since 10

97, Chris joined in 00, no original members, he is the oldest

April 27th 2012

that really bugs me for some reason, i feel like if there are literally no original members then you should change the name of the band.

April 27th 2012

Yeah but he didn't fill in for anyone who left. He is the one and only UØ keyboardist

April 27th 2012

It is really weird when you think about it

April 27th 2012

Yeah but changing the name would really only make since if all the original members left at once

April 27th 2012

It was Aaron's band and he left and he gave them permission to still use the name and shit so whatever
If he wants to be gay and make shit music that's his problem

April 27th 2012

it just seems weird to keep the name of a band that has no original members.

April 27th 2012

They play the same songs and make new ones in the same style, Aaron didn't right the songs anyway

J0ckstrapsFTW
April 27th 2012

Band is ok... I think the band name in general is kind of retarted. Woe, is me? Really?

April 27th 2012

Well of course he gave them permission. Spencer in since like 03, Tim since like 01, Grant since 03, Chris since 00 and James since 03. No fuckin way he'd tell these dues that have been in the band for 7+ years and they can't continue with the same name. That'd be outrageous

RosaParks
April 27th 2012

"Aaron didn't right the songs anyway"
agreed hard he wronged them
they're better now

Name from the Bible, Jock

April 27th 2012

woe is me is like a common expression

yea

April 27th 2012

their new songs don't really sound anything like their first album.