Nice Wings, Icarus!
Aurora

by BLUEOmni USER (2 Reviews)
April 26th, 2012 | 14 replies | 1,671 views

Review Summary: Jeebus, these guys are amazing!

Usually when the prospect of strings are added to post-rock, they're supplementary. I.e, they're not used for very long, and almost always follow a very linear path. But Nice Wings, Icarus! has shattered this post-rock cliche, and infused the use of strings uniquely into their music. They don't follow linear styles, but instead, possess their own eerily creative groove.

Amongst these four tracks, Aurora stands out as not only the paramount of this release, but also the longest, totaling a staggering fifteen minutes. Perhaps because this track is so long, these guys were able to allow their true talent to blister through the limitations the other three possessed, and give way to an entire plethora of hauntingly beautiful string modulations. There's a certain kind of magic here, not performed by any other artist, let alone post-rock artist, that expresses an emotion quite mesmerizing. Aurora captures these emotions, contrasting a sense of erraticism with a building tranquility. Towards the middle of this track, as the violin is played in a very jittery fashion, the guitars, bass, and drums build up in a style expected in bands such as Explosions in the Sky or The Evpatoria Report. This buildup leads to nowhere but a romanticism between the instruments; paralleling the different melodies flawlessly.

And although I may praise Aurora so highly, even going so far as to title it the best amongst the other three, the remainder of this release never stops short of galvanizing enthusiasm. Kids vs Machinery opens in breakdowns and emotional violin modulations, with Nice Wings, Icarus! just beginning to showcase their unique and powerful style. Mastodon, the subsequent song, plays in a similar manner. Though, Mastodon does digress from the opening track, in that its instrumentals are more akin to traditional post-rock, and the violin sharper in expression.

And finally, the conclusion. "Haunted House" begins much like a brew of everything heard so far. While the first half may be relatively weak when compared to its preceding adversaries, the introduction of bells does add something intriguing. The song erupts into a vocalized rock mash up when entering its second half. Certainly a unique way to end the album; though, the vocals weren't quite up to par with the music itself.

Really, if you're a fan of post-rock, there should be no excuse not to listen to this. It possesses elements not found too often in post-rock itself, and expresses them in a near-impeccable manner.

April 25th 2012

This my first review, so I'm not perfectly in tune with the style Sputnik accepts. On that note, I would like to edit a few things, but "Fatal error: Call to undefined function numcheck() in /var/www/html/sputnik/editreviews.php on line 5"

Jom
April 25th 2012

It's unfortunately going to be some time before that bug gets fixed. We know about it, but only one person can fix it, obviously.

taylormemer
April 25th 2012

O' hey look a track list. Well whaddya know.

Hey OMNI, great job :]

Fantastic first review. Everything that you said was very well-written, and it's evident you put a lot of thought into everything you said. One way to make your reviews even better would be to add more of an overall perspective on the album, what makes it so distinctive, for example. But that's just me suggesting something that could add on to your already very good review, so take that how you will. :p

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

April 25th 2012

Thanks. There are some things I'd really like to edit, such as "with Nice Wings, Icarus! just beginning to showcase its (should be "their) unique and powerful style," and "While the first half may be relatively weak when compared to its preceding adversaries, the introduction of bells does add something intriguing." Anyways, I hope my review can convince at least a few to give these guys a chance. They really are quite amazing.

I'll start writing more reviews for bands that don't have a lot of recognition, but I'm going to wait until this error issue gets fixed.

April 25th 2012

Don't worry, I'm having issues with not being able to correct my reviews either. But I'll be sure to check this out - how can I hear it?

April 25th 2012

You can listen to this album at their bandcamp - http://nicewingsicarus.bandcamp.com/album/aurora

Deviant.

Lol Jake

Digging: Banks - Goddess

FelixCulpa
April 26th 2012

You should check out a band called Talons and their album Hollow Realm, they remind quite a bit of these guys.

April 26th 2012

I'm liking this, although I doubt I'll feel a need to listen to it ever again. The strings feel a little awkwardly placed in the album, and it feels more generic than I'd like it to. Feeling a 3.5 though

April 26th 2012

The guitars definitely have a cliche-element to them, and the final song impedes the album from really being a masterpiece (imo), but I feel like the strings leading this album really do it more justice than one would expect. It's too bad you felt them awkward :-(

April 26th 2012

I understand why you'd like them, man. It does distinguish them from other artists; I just feel like the production made the strings come across a bit strangely.

And lol, I think I enjoyed the first track the most! :p

saris340
May 1st 2012

I've only listened once, but I thought it was pretty great.

Lenix