Pleq
My Life Begins Today

good

by Zettel USER (35 Reviews)
April 25th, 2012 | 5 replies | 1,222 views

Review Summary: Do not pay attention to the rating. The album is UNRATED.

Bartosz Dziadosz is a prolific artist. Since he released his first LP Lucid Dream in 2008, he has maintained a steady production, including EPs and other collaborations. The experimental nature of his music often results in stimulating works; unfortunately those experiments are too loose to be consistent. My Life Begins Today is abstract and simplistic, exploring texture and mood with a few selected elements. A motif is established at the beginning of the track, then it is repeated until exhaustion with little variation. The soundscapes are gentle and meditative, but inevitably fade out into the background, escaping your attention. Despite the strong presence of rhythms, glitch effects and the effective use of occasional vocal samples, the album seems decidedly devoid of any emotion or evoking power, working with sound until something that resembles an finished piece turns out. Some tracks resist that description, but are soon absorbed by the whole.

Perhaps the record is meant to be that way, floating music that just exists with no further aim, presenting tracks that could be the foundations of another album. Is this inherently a bad thing? Bartosz is a capable producer, and My Life Begins Today is in the end a nice listen, no hidden tricks or meanings. Those tired of complex and extravagant electronic opera might find relief in the relative simplicity of the record, but should not expect instant gratification. The crystalline and neutral lack of soul is worth contemplating for serene minds, but ultimately only offers a taste of emptiness.

Field Rotation Acoustic TalesCristian Vogel All Music Has Come To An End
Saschienne UnknownAnomalous Ohmnivalent
Integral The Past Is My ShadowTapage Overgrown

clercqie
April 25th 2012

Any reason as why it's unrated?
Good review though!

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

Zettel
April 25th 2012

Thanks, Clercqie. Regarding your question, I am trying to review without attaching a vague, often pointless number to it.

@Thomas: Yeah, Pleq has some very good stuff, though it is a little hard to get into. Nice to see you know the guy.

Adash
April 26th 2012

Polish and experimental means in the vein of Jacaszek means excellent music

I will investigate this. Nice concept for reviewing as well

Zettel
April 26th 2012

You will find their music is very different from each other, although they do appear to be fellow countrymen.

And, did a comment just disappeared? Weird...

mindleviticus
June 10th 2012

the sound of rebirth was his best album.