Unsane
Wreck

by Joseph Viney STAFF
April 22nd, 2012 | 18 replies

Review Summary: Unsane in the membrane

Unsane are a group that live up to all of the grammatically incorrect glory their name implies. The brutishly noisy New York trio have displayed wanton aggression, filth and fury throughout a career just shy of a quarter century. Wreck, their seventh full-length effort, is pretty much everything you would come to expect from an Unsane record. From the get go, it’s an uncompromising aural assault. “Rat” informs the listener that there is ‘no way back’. Even at this early stage you cannot fault their accuracy.

The record’s best track comes early. “Decay” is a song that stretches itself across the full emotional spectrum. First, the inherent anger in the music. Second, the menacing snarl of the vocal delivery that covers up the fragility evident in the lyrics. ‘Look at the *** we’re in’ barks vocalist Chris Spencer, the pent-up regret looming large before giving way to a titanic riff that cuts right through you. It might well rank as one of the best of their career.

Normal service is resumed immediately and it remains at that satisfying level throughout. “No Chance” attacks with a certain swagger and frankly, it doesn’t deviate much from there on in. Don’t construe that as a negative point exactly, with a group like Unsane you know what you’re in for. It’s a relentless, unforgiving but ultimately enjoyable attack.

Wreck’s final track is the unsettling and blackly playful “Ha Ha Ha” which is the kind of song you’d play maliciously at the funeral of somebody you never liked.

The album lives up to its name, the question is: are you part of the carnage or a bystander? Give it a try and see where you end up.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush
Manic Street Preachers FuturologySweet Apple The Golden Age of Glitter
Parquet Courts Sunbathing AnimalSKATERS Manhattan
Martin L. (4)
Unsane deliver a vehement blast from the past...

April 22nd 2012

Tbh this review seems a little incomplete, maybe even rushed...especially the conclusion.

But nevertheless your description of 'Decay' made me want to give at least that song a chance.

Digging: Yellowcard - Lift a Sail

Urinetrouble
April 22nd 2012

I was gonna review this but I have other commitments. someday maybe

JViney
April 22nd 2012

Yeah I've been a little busy lately. Got a few good ones coming up so just putting this up to tide me over. Another one due up tomorrow.

Ire

dat summary

RosaParks

album is awesome

espec that hahaha cover

MMX
April 22nd 2012

About Time this album got a review
Probably my favorite album so far this year

Cover is lol

WeepingBanana
April 22nd 2012

album is kicking my ass so far. fucking love unsane

deathofasalesman

Need to cop this soon.

Archelaos
April 22nd 2012

Review is far too rushed. It feels like you have a lot of ideas you didn't flesh out, and the final product comes across as incredibly disjointed. I know you're capable of far better, I've read your other reviews (your Let England Shake one was brilliant).

jefflebowski
April 22nd 2012

sputnik users seem to think that reviews have to be incredibly long/verbose/pretentious to be good

Digging: Shellac - Dude Incredible

TheVoiceAndTheSnake

it's pathetic

April 22nd 2012

Some of the best reviews I've read were two paragraphs or less, but this just feels a little choppy and unfocused. Whatever though I'm not perfect either, and JViney is a great reviewer as he's proven time and time again.

musicConsumer

and complete

Wizard

19403 Comments

Please don't if you're busy. You did this album no justice.

Digging: Khonsu - Traveller

cvlts

must be finals week

paxman
April 23rd 2012

Not enough misspellings and grammatical errors and ego-jerk-offing to be approved by Sputnik's staff.

SteelErectedb4you8er
April 24th 2012

This is a good album. I just saw Unsane with The Melvins last week. Killer show! Unsane's drummer was in the hospital; so, Cody and Dale played drums for them. Unsane ruled, but man, The Melvins....damn.

nex77
April 25th 2012

Review is fine. I'm streaming it now, so job done. Thanks!