AU
Both Lights

by scissorlocked USER (35 Reviews)
April 20th, 2012 | 10 replies | 2,067 views

Review Summary: Constant Motion

Somewhere between the reverberating horns and the spiraling guitar tapping, AU's second LP shines with its monstrous restlessness. It's almost irritating at times - so many echoing sounds, so much buzz dressed with a veil of catchy, indie melodies. Where do these all lead? A hasty listen will probably fry your brain like an omelet. But a closer one will likely reveal a heap of prodigious ideas buried under these swirling and psyched compositions.

Both Lights can best be characterized as a lustrous, though schizophrenic, shred album. And such signs of aberrant behavior are discrete from its very beginning. A blast of paranoid drumming and trembling guitar riffing heralds a coiling melody, reinforced by several keyboard layers, bagpipes and saxophone leads – this is how "Epic", the album's starter builds some tension. Soon the second blast will kick in, but Luke Wyland, the principal songwriter, knows that such a storm is always followed- and fueled also- by a calm. So this is the way the album is structured: playful or ethereal interludes preparing the ground for triumphant explosions of bombast. "The Veil" floats in a dreamy piano melody for less than 5 minutes, just for "Solid Gold", the album's centerpiece, to set the pace for some dancing. Guests like Colin Stetson, with his vivacious saxophone brushstrokes seem to fit perfectly into the whole. This loud and mischievous circus makes its appearance in short forms like in "Why I Must", or discloses itself in more sentimental, folksy ways, like it does in "Get Alive".

Such a spirited parade though, seems to be intrinsically disorganized. Both Lights at times feels swallowed by its loud trumpeting and indomitable stylistic range. AU may be far from shaping a trademark sound, and somehow seem to comfortably fit under the “unsettled experimenters” label that so unfairly justifies their skills. But Both Lights is neither a product of maturity nor a random attempt of some fake avant-garde wannabes. Equipped with equal amounts of technicality and transgression, offers a refreshing experience with clamorous results.

Balthazar RatsCaspian Waking Season
Gravenhurst The Ghost in DaylightIf These Trees Could Talk Red Forest
A Place to Bury Strangers Onwards To The WallSwallow the Sun Emerald Forest and the Blackbird

Au

April 20th 2012

This is pretty interesting -definitely check these ones

Epic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz61swUqiiM
Solid Gold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNa5M3hOYfw

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

April 20th 2012

Great review, friend. Wanted to check these guys for awhile now, may finally take the leap. You have a pos from me ^_^

Thanks man!

Check the song links and if you like them, you'll probably like the whole album

April 20th 2012

I'm all over this crazy drumming, that's for sure.

Voivod

Good review, pos.

Not sure if I will take a look on this though.

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

livingisland
April 21st 2012

Nice review. One of my favorite albums of the year so far.

greg84

Good review, pos.

I'll check it out at some point.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

thanks guys

it's a shame that this is so obscure here, I'm sure there are plenty of users who would find it great

April 21st 2012

I honestly really don't care for the vocals, from what I've heard.

mindhelix
August 2nd 2013

As a very disorganized person/artist myself, the "disorganized" characteristic seemed to go either unnoticed by me, or it felt natural and okay to me. This is the only area of the review I can't quite relate with you. Otherwise this review is very eloquent and well written. I agree that Au needs more recognition.

To make matters more sweet, Luke Wyland (the singer and clearly the driving force of this project) is a very down-to-earth genuinely nice guy. I have interacted with him directly digitally and he was very willing to personally help me out with an issue I was having. For whatever reason (maybe it is more obvious than I am realizing at the moment) when a musician is a stand-up, nice person it makes you so much more willing and eager to put full support into the band.