7 Horns 7 Eyes
Throes Of Absolution

by I made this account in 2008 USER (4 Reviews)
April 20th, 2012 | 35 replies | 7,090 views

Review Summary: 7 Horns 7 Eyes go against the grain to create a crushing progressive death metal album with accessibility.

With influences ranging from Katatonia and Daylight Dies to Decapitated and Morbid Angel, an unknown band from Seattle has created a surprisingly balanced sound which is damn refreshing in the sea of sterile djent and Sumeriancore flooding the current metal scene.

The album begins with a lullaby-esque melody layered with synth strings and a growl as a facilitating device to kickstart another a layer of sound. They layers continue to grow and build into a mix of what is to come on the rest of Thrones of Absolution. The atmosphere is what I can describe as a desolate warmth. At this point, the tone of the guitar sounds somber enough, but at the same time there is an uplifting element which separates 7 Horns 7 Eyes from many progressive death metal albums that surround themselves in frail and despaired themes (Be’lakor and Ikuinen Kaamos are two bands that come to mind).

At the peak of the album’s intro, a seamless transition into deep throaty growls seals the dense death metal overtones. After a crunchy palm-muted rhythm enters the foreground, an airy melody gives way to one of the album’s many searing leads. On the subject, goddamn, lead guitarist Sean Alf can rip. The mix of driving melodies and tapping flurries found throughout the album are at times chilling.

After 4 solid slabs of songs (especially Phumis, which rules) , Delusions and A Finite Grasp of Infinite Disillusion take a step back quality wise and drag despite the strong vocal presence of JJ “Shiv” Polachek. While his deep and discernable technique adds depth and fits the music well, the reverb could have been toned down a little at times. Aside from that, and a few awkwardly placed yelps in a few songs, this is what death metal vocals should sound like both delivery and production-wise. No better example than the slamming first verse of Vindicator. It stands alone as the most brutal and headbangable part of the album - having the sudden urge to punch an ostrich in the throat while listening to it is perfectly normal.

Despite being a top-heavy disc, Thrones of Absolution ends on a high note with a guest solo by Jeff Loomis on the song Regeneration. The album displays great musicianship and creativity in the djent and –core obsessed current state of metal. Unlike other bands riding trends and having dime-a-dozen vocalists, 7 Horns 7 Eyes displays a balanced attack of influences from the progressive, doom, and death metal genres to create their own atmospheric and lead-driven entity.

TBliss2 (4.5)
A startling hybrid of death metal fury and delicate progressive melodicisms....

BringerOfStorms (5)
7H7E craft something completely unique and unheard of....

bloozclooz
April 20th 2012

pretty cool sound, probs going to download. good review and all

Good band good review

cheers mate

TheSpirit
April 20th 2012

this sounds cool, will check out

Digging: vhmnt / blsphm - vhmnt / blsphm

SharkEthic
April 20th 2012

I miss 7 Angels 7 Plagues...

Mickeymau5

good christian band

AtomicShane

meh

trilogique21
April 20th 2012

underwhelming. Vindicator and Divine Amnesty are awesome, but the rest of the album is kinda
forgettable and same-y.

Nikkolae
April 20th 2012

that first track is a beast, dl this when i get home.

Digging: We Came Out Like Tigers - Ever-Crushed at Pecket's Well

nah this is good

i'd only heard their demo

eternium

7 Dongs 7 Thighs

April 21st 2012

this album does little to mesmerize me

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

xandermander
April 23rd 2012

Metalsucks is creaming their jeans over this, I will give it a whirl

April 23rd 2012

btw thanks for rec'ing me that Indwelling record, got it really cheap and been jamming it a lot

np man, it's pretty good

CityofGhosts
April 25th 2012

some of the best solo's in metal right here. love it

April 29th 2012

Really disappointed by this actually. I'd only heard about this band until this moment and although I like the lead guitars, vocals, and all that, for some reason it all comes off as really really boring.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Evreaia
April 29th 2012

U enjoyed this quite a bit, probably going to give it a couple of more spins vefore forgetting about it.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

June 25th 2012

I am too!

Oh...you mean in me....

June 25th 2012

We're going to have to have a talk about this, young man.