Megadeth
Killing Is My Business...

by Systemunfolded USER (12 Reviews)
April 18th, 2012 | 18 replies

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Thrash is our business...and business is off to a great start anyway

Does anybody recognize Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings, or even enjoy Risk? How about that new record of theirs, Th1rt3en? They certainly didn't disappoint with these albums, but they all lacked the thing that made the Megadeth of old far superior: prowess. It seemed at the time of these newer labels that Megadeth's skill in the field of thrash was scaling downward, and to be perfectly honest, has not yet shown any signs of returning to the band's former glory days of Rust in Peace or Peace Sells.... This is the debut album for the band, and it catapults them to levels that quite frankly, Metallica never achieved, even in their own time with Mustaine. Megadeth have always shown to be more productive than Metallica, especially in their early albums. Killing is My Business... is the second milestone for Mustaine's development, (having been kicked out of Metallica), and it displayed the band in every prominent angle they could think of. To put it in simple terms...it rules so ***ing hard.

Killing is My Business... is probably the most simple Megadeth album to date. This can be thought of as a good thing, or a bad thing, and both opinions can be taken respectively. Megadeth is young of course, and I would find it difficult myself to wrap my head around a glorious genre like thrash, and be able to put it in stone, and make a rocking album like this, given Mustaine’s circumstances that is. While this wasn't, isn't, and probably never will be a truly recognized and appreciated Megadeth effort, but given that this album came about from poor production, (so says 90% of the population who've heard this, I disagree) I’d say it did pretty well. And why wouldn't it? It's thrash and speed metal thrown into a cauldron, and mixed together. If there is any doubt that that is not one of the most gorgeous thoughts you can have about music, shut up anyway.

So the album starts off with one of the controversial things I’ve ever heard Megadeth do: piano? It really reminded me of the intro to Opeth's Heritage, but besides that, it creeps into the album nicely. When the eerie periods of bass are over, that's when the album really takes off. The next track starts off as one of the best intros to any song off this album. This self-titled track starts off rather similarly to its predecessor, but explodes into speed and thrash much quicker. The album keeps on keepin on for the most part after that. I find Rattlehead to be the most entertaining song on the album. Not only does it provide a more comedic (personal peeeeeeerrreference) side to Megadeth, especially for the early days, but it has the best riffs.

In terms of thrash and/or speed metal, which you’ve surely gotten the idea now that this is indeed what it is, the album is one of the best of its time. Its development came about from (what used to be anyway) the easiest of standards. It’s obvious that production wasn’t the main concern for this album. But let’s face it, thrash was better back in the days when raw and pissed attitudes were portrayed instead of trying to polish up every single note and snare in the album. So with that, I give you Megadeth’s second finest work of the 80’s. (We can’t forget about Peace Sells…But Who Gives Two ***s now can we?)

Hideous Divinity Obeisance RisingVendetta Brain Damage
Entombed Morning StarDisavowed Stagnated Existence
Abhoth Forever to Be Vanished There InBuckethead Balloon Cement

72086 Comments

nice review but sonics is better

Digging: Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth

April 18th 2012

This sentence reads incredibly choppy, try splitting it up a bit. Plus, it doesn't really make sense, but maybe I could be wrong.

Alright review, you barely described the actual sound of the album and given tracks, but nevertheless, here's a pos

TheNotrap
April 18th 2012

Great debut, have a pos.

Digging: Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Funeralopolis

love this album

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

bowlofsoup
April 18th 2012

I need to listen to this again some time soon. Also, nice review. Pos'd

April 18th 2012

Yeah I know. It's bugging the hell out of me, but I don't know what's going on with it

Funeralopolis

pitchfork is attacking us

Good rev bro, Pos

April 18th 2012

Easily one of the band's best

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

Nah, Rust in Peace definitely is

macman76

Mechanix>Four Horsemen

SgtPepper
April 18th 2012

Great review, mate. POS! Like everyone else, "Rust" is probably my favorite album by Megadeth. Holy Wars is just such an intense agression of pure thrash metal.

macman76
April 18th 2012

Good review btw, this album needs more love, and I need to listen to it more

The7thVermicide
April 18th 2012

Good review ,this album has its moments but is not special unlike most of their other efforts

By the way ,that art cover sucks dick

ReturnToRock
April 19th 2012

Album is good, review needs a bit of work, but won't neg.

WHO'D EVER THOUGHT YOU'D BE BETTER
AT TURNIN' A SCREW THAN ME
I DO IT FOR MY LIFE!

The7thVermicide
April 19th 2012

I didn't say it was bad , i said that it lacks of the magic of their best albums

ZedO
April 19th 2012

Thrash is our business...and business is off to a great start anyway

Great summary, you got my pos, man!

KjSwantko
April 19th 2012

Nice review System, you're doing a nice job lately.