Will Driving West
The Breakout

by TheJackal USER (2 Reviews)
April 17th, 2012 | 3 replies | 859 views

Review Summary: No need to fix what isn't broken...

Without adding a huge amount in terms of innovation or desire to push the boundaries of their musical capabilities, Will Driving West create a beautifully crafted album proving that simplicity is often more than enough.
Montreal trio Will Driving West is lead by vocalist and multi-instrumentalist David Ratté, complemented by bassist Andréa Bélanger and cellist Camille Paquette-Roy.
Lead by Ratté’s luscious acoustic melodies and soothing vocals, the album kicks off as it means to go on with opening track Australia. The lyrics complement the music well, and although they may come across as clichéd, they are by no means a reason to put you off the band.
As second track Thieves comes to an end, you’ll notice how bassist Bélanger joins in on vocal duties to beautiful effect. The cello comes in and fits in perfectly with the mellow folk sound that the band have crafted so elegantly.
A piano introduces the delightful October’s coming, and by this point the inescapable Elliott Smith comparisons are becoming more and more apparent with each song.
‘’We’re getting older. Our hearts heavier. We’ve got to get out there. Before we become, Like trees in the fall’’
Once the initial joy of hearing female vocals and a cello begins to fade however, the record appears a bit repetitive. The songs may all be similar in structure, and the vocals are not emotional or in the same vein of say a Bon Iver record.
These negatives are not fatal by any means, and really it all depends what you as a listener are looking for in your music.
Sit back, relax and enjoy…

TheJackal
April 17th 2012

Taking a short, much needed break from destroying my face with hardcore music.

Gotta love the cello and the piano in this...

Best thing about it: its free!

TheJackal
April 17th 2012

formats a bit sucky right now but it wont let me edit

Funeralopolis
April 18th 2012

this album may not need fixing but your review sure does.

Digging: Banks - London