Signals Midwest
Latitudes & Longitudes

by Wes Williams USER (2 Reviews)
April 15th, 2012 | 16 replies | 3,619 views

Review Summary: I want to show you I am strong.

Signals Midwest is a 4-piece punk outfit hailing from Cleveland, Ohio. They released their sophomore effort, Latitudes and Longitudes, towards the end of 2011. Unfortunately, this talented band has been passed over for the most part in the wake of last year’s extremely impressive release catalogue. Latitudes is a strong release from an up-and-coming that deserves to be heard.

Immediately it becomes apparent in the opening track, In Tensions, that the band’s biggest talent is their extremely talented lead guitarist and vocalist, Max Stern. His onslaught of rough heartfelt vocals are only overshadowed by his prowess on his guitar, writing incredibly catchy and infectious riffs that one can find subconsciously be humming to himself the next day. The punk band’s music has a distinct midwest emo influence, smoothly incorporated to the band’s overall impressive sound.

Another interesting part of Latitudes and Longitudes is the lyrics. They put the typical straightforward writing method most punk rock bands incorporate in favor for a more poetic approach, in the style of emo bands they take influence from. The strikingly effective presentation of these lyrics within their music results in an impressive overall listen.

Overall, the album is not necessarily groundbreaking. Punk bands have incorporated the midwest emo sound before. Signals Midwest manages to do it in an interesting and compelling way. It fits into their overall sound perfectly and lends just enough to let Signals Midwest stand out in the crowd. The album has weak places to be sure, but as the parting lyric resounds in The Weight and Waiting, “We’ve accepted our own imperfections.” Check out this impressive release and give this band the attention it deserves.

Bloodhail
April 14th 2012

This technically isn't my first review, but let's just pretend it is.

SCREAMorphine

Nice review, pos.

tom79
April 15th 2012

Nice review. Album's awesome.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

bungy
April 15th 2012

cool, I was one of those who passed over this last year. Looking forward to hearing this

pmmets07
April 15th 2012

yeah have been meaning to check this out. nice simple review

Blackbelt54
April 15th 2012

Yeah I need to listen to this

jlech
April 16th 2012

Good to see someone finally review this. Nice review by the way. Really enjoyed the album, it is one of the few suggestions from Spotify I agreed with.

Bloodhail
April 17th 2012

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I hope you like this as much as I do.

Funeralopolis
July 1st 2012

pretty good album

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

Blackbelt54
July 21st 2012

Went to a punk show and these guys played a set. They were pretty awesome, and really nice. They played a few new songs that sounded really good.

hydora1171
October 3rd 2012

Apart from the word "brain" thrown into "the weight & the waiting", I can safely say that this is awesome and that I'll be enjoying this until at least Christmas.

sportsboy
December 20th 2012

it's nice to know guys i know are gettin love on sputnik

Digging: Vektroid - Color Ocean Road

Needsmoarbreakdowns
March 20th 2013

Sweet band, I saw them live a month ago. I go to school with Max's little bro haha.

bach
April 20th 2013

11951 Comments

The vocalist sounds so much like Jeff from btmi.

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

ShadowRemains
August 5th 2013

20230 Comments

damn this rules hard

Kman418
April 14th 2014

this is so much better than so much stuff in this style

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again