Akerstache
Heritage (Of Love)

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
April 15th, 2012 | 81 replies

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Just when you thought that Cock Rock pioneer Mikael Akerstache couldn't get any more mayunly...

Here we have it, the brilliant debut from Cock Rock titan Akerstache has been thrown to the public! After hearing the brilliant single 'The Devil's Orchard (God is Dead, Baybuh)', I think it's safe to assume we all knew we were in for something special. That haunting acoustic intro followed by the soft rising distortion before came that almost godlike guitar picking and wham! The song just threw you straight into the mayhem as Akerstache himself sung, 'YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHEEEYYEEAAAAHHH, BAYBUHH!!!'
From then on, my jaw lay dropped to the floor in awe. His deep, mayunly lows to his high pitched wails that could even be described as akin to Jeff Buckley's voice. The full, rockin' drums just kept you tapping along as the guitars roared and just gave the song a huge vibe that just screamed 'EPIC!'
You can tell he spent years crafting the perfect album. And boy, the rest of the album doesn't fail to give us the same rush as the single.

The album rips straight off with a killer riff straight from the 'Stache. Quickly followed by incredibly technical and memorable melodies on the guitar. The 'Stache's vocals are as good as they get on this title track, but yet it's just a small taste of what's to come. Aggressive drums, beautiful guitar solos and melodies and Akerstache's sweet, mayuhnly vocals just throw you into an array of love, kittens (soft and furry, of course) and kroegressive erections. Twoards the end the 'Stache shows you he's more than a one trick pony and offers up an incredible lightning fast solo that would melt all the cheese. The quickly rising distortion and flat out crazy guitar work almost makes your heart dive out your chest before the song ends. What is this amazing feeling and why haven't I felt it before? Its clear that Akerstache may have created what no artist though possible. He created love.

The brilliant slow rock ballad 'I Feel the Dark (In the City)' is the most tender song to have ever graced my ears. Akerstache's lonely voice that still haunts my mind as I sleep at night. Aye, it's safe to say this brought a tear to my eye. The guitar picking solo, the mellow drumming and the acoustics guitars sounding off in the background. This music is so well layered and aesthetically pleasing that it is worthy of all the praise it gets. But don't fret yet, the album is not all sappy slow ballads, Akerstache is yet to show you how he slithers. His snake all over your body, that is. This song is the definition of trve Cock Rock. And it has plenty of cowbell.
The album quickly falls back into a beautiful ballad of woe with the enchanting 'Nepenth (Was Her Name)'. A shocking tale of love and loss. It's safe to say this song is my favourite of the album. Well, that's if you can choose favourites. This is quickly shaping up to be my favourite album of all time.

The album falls back into truly stunning rock feats until it hits 'Folklore (Interlude in Em composed for the Keytar)'. This song. My God. Just when I thought the album couldn't get any more diverse or special. This is how the Keytar should be used. The ethereal synths and solos are mindblowingly good. This song made me feel comfortably numb. Then it all fades out with the wind before winding into the Keytar opened '(My Love For You Is Deeper Than The) Marrow of the Earth'. I mean, wow. That's all I can say. My breath is gone.

It's fairly safe to say that his cover of 'Now You're a Man' has brought every man and woman around the world to tears.
Every time he shouts 'NOW YOU'RE A MAWYUN!!!' just gets me. I can't help it.
Unfortunately enough, every good thing must come to an end. The album closes with no doubt the greatest song ever written (remember how I said Nepenthe was my favourite? I lied.). This song is, of course, the spine-tingling 'Ode to Chad'. This song is a dedication to the Chad Kroegster® himself. With the (undisputed) best lyrics of all time, this song is a dedication to all that is great and good; Nickelback, soft, furry kittens, hot, melted cheese, Honey Badgers and America. All after a wicked guitar solo (of love) and one final rendition of that ever-sweet chorus, Akerstache makes a shout out to all of his bros, of which I am extremely proud to say I am one of.

I am the TTMichael18, and I don't ask you to buy this, nay, I demand you buy this album. Buy it forty-three times. And then frot wildly in all the love (of love) in the city (of love (in the city)).