Poets of the Fall
Temple of Thought

by ANJ45 USER (11 Reviews)
April 12th, 2012 | 22 replies

Review Summary: Poets of the Fall produce yet another worthy addition to their discography and show that they still have fresh material up their sleeve.

Poets of the Fall are an alternative rock group from Helsinki, Finland that make very atmospheric and large-scale music. They've come close, but not quite, to becoming mainstream as their sound is extremely accessible. They have sold multiple platinum albums in their home country, and haven't even gotten a single gold in the US. I have been following them since I discovered their music from the thriller game, "Alan Wake", and I've been listening to them often since, because they are simply an incredibly consistent band. Nothing that they have released so far has ceased to impress me. I love the melodies, how they never run out of catchy yet intelligent hooks, and how they don't follow any stereotype pertaining to the modern age of alternative and rock in general. They are pretty much the exact image of what more rock bands should be as they get everything right. So as you can guess, when I found out that Poets of the Fall had just released a new album, I rushed to download it, and braced myself with high expectations.

The whole of this album is a mesh of everything that has made the band succeed so far. Everything here is done with the right momentum to lift the record above and beyond. The keyboards and vocals are flawless and even show a little improvement in range here and there. The album never gets boring for the majority of its run-time and only falls short in few areas. The guitars and bass end up sounding a little monotonous in some songs, and even then it usually only lasts for a few seconds. On another note, the guitarists technical skill has certainly improved as shown in the improved solos. The drums provide a simple and creative beat throughout and never distract from the body of the music, and Jari even gets to shine through with some awesome fills in a few songs.

To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly surprised that this record turned out to be fantastic. The opening track opens up with high energy and follows up with the same sound I have come to know from the group. Beautiful melodies and acoustic ballads, atmospheric hooks, and fantastic lyrics, let alone the singing. They definitely haven't lost inspiration, as the first few tracks alone prove that this band is still running hot. Each musician works off each other with ease and displays fluency at all times, and Markos vocals shine through and add just the perfect touch of melody and sound-scape to give the necessary kick that drives this to be another phenomenal release from Poets of the Fall. I recommend this to anyone who has a taste in melodic music in general.

Catherine Wheel ChromeCocteau Twins Heaven or Las Vegas
Shpongle Museum of ConsciousnessThe Peaking Goddess Collective Organika
Kvelertak MeirTurisas Stand Up and Fight

April 12th 2012

This may not be my think but I'll check cuz ya never know.

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Digging: The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

April 12th 2012

^prolly the best avi I've ever seen

PayneTiger777
April 12th 2012

Oh shit! I had no idea this was out yet. Great band. I need to give this a listen.

HeathenEarthling
April 12th 2012

This band is apparently super obscure in Canada. My girlfriend got into them somehow, and we can't find any of their
CDs anywhere.

cb123

2018 Comments

dam i didn't know they were coming out with anything new, this will go down on the to-do list

Diptoman
April 13th 2012

Good review, was waiting for one to come out. Could've written a li'l more about the music though, which ones you prefer and why and stuff like those.

My personal favorites from this are Running Out Of Time, Kamikaze Love and the title track. ^^

D41V30N
April 13th 2012

Pos. Great album, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The tunes sound a little similar in the mid-section of the album, but the general flow of the album is brilliant, and props for the vocals and the keyboards.

"Running Out Of Time" is my personal favorite, and "The Happy Song?" is one damn good out-of-the-box song.

And this...

This band is one of the lights at the end of the storm in terms of mainstream alt rock. Most bands in this genre admittedly suck nowadays. [2]

Tyrael

i'm everyone's best friend

sparkles!

Phideaux
April 13th 2012

This is one of the many bands I keep meaning to give a listen.

April 14th 2012

The last song admittedly kind of sucks, but the rest of the album is just so great that I don't really care, though its bound to piss some people off lol

BoomSlang
April 15th 2012

"'The Happy Song', an original song written for Alan Wake's American Nightmare..." - Wikipedia's Poets of the Fall page.

Just FYI. I love the chorus but that's where my love begins and ends. However, knowing it's made for the downloadable game I don't have much of an issue with it. It probably shouldn't have been put on their main album though. I'll admit that I absolutely love their "Old Gods of Asgard" songs and would have preferred one of them on this album. I believe they did a new one for the game under their moniker even.

Great album overall though.

silentstar
April 15th 2012

Wonderful album so far, definitely a solid 4

April 16th 2012

Yeah their songs for the original Alan Wake are phenomenal.

porcupinetheater
April 24th 2012

I generally dislike this alt-rock, poppy style, but the Poets are amazing. I'm yet to hear anything by them that's even simply "passable," much less bad. Glad to see they haven't lost their touch.

PayneTiger777
May 2nd 2012

I just downloaded this, and so far I'm loving it.

LoneWanderer
May 19th 2012

This is out?!..goddamn..

ANKS123
June 8th 2012

POETS OF THE FALL IS THE BEST BAND!! accept the facts people!!

Myles7
August 19th 2012

"they never run out of catchy yet intelligent hooks, and how they don't follow any stereotype pertaining to the modern age of alternative and rock in general"

So true!