The Doors
Strange Days

by Major Tom CONTRIBUTOR (139 Reviews)
April 11th, 2012 | 73 replies

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Strange days have found us, and through their strange hours, we linger alone”

As its title may suggest, The Doors’ second LP (and second of 1967) is a stranger and odder beast than its already psychedelic predecessor. Sadly, it’s also a less accomplished offering, with the batch of songs on offer primarily made up of left-over material from The Doors sessions. But call it a cash-in on the mega success of their debut album at peril, because Strange Days, despite a few hold-ups, remains a highly enjoyable and artistically successful record, even if it didn’t take the band anywhere new or more popular.

The bluesy undercurrent that flows under virtually all The Doors cuts is watered down more so than on their previous effort, with psychedelica arriving as it’s more prominent replacement. It doesn’t feel forced at all, thankfully, and gives the album a rather neat and united vibe, at the expense of little less variation perhaps. Opening with the squirrely Manzarek organs of ‘Strange Days’, one gains a picture of what to expect – a slightly eerie, psychedelic rock exploration of alienation and feeling a little, ahem, ‘spaced out’, shall we say (it doesn’t require much research to learn of Morrison’s dabbling in LSD – it was the summer of love after all). The melodic floatiness of ‘You’re Lost Little Girl’, the catchy and tormented ‘People Are Strange’ and the bizarre, poetic interlude of ‘Horse Latitudes’ further the creepy, psych vibe to an equally exciting level.

The album isn’t all tripped out paranoia, as the jaunty pop delights of single ‘Love Me Two Times’ and the almost funk of ‘Moonlight Drive’ point out so refreshingly. The remainder of the tracks aren’t all that weak either – ‘Unhappy Girl’ features a jumpy, rising and falling melody; ‘My Eyes Have Seen You’ isn’t particularly spectacular but is still far from skip-worthy, and ‘I Can’t See Your Face in My Mind’ is a crawling, ghostly little ditty.

The only song that oversteps the mark more than a little (by about 6 minutes if you require an exact label) is closer, ‘When the Music’s Over’. While the track was a well suited live set piece of The Doors' energetic and theatrical performance, plonked on the end of this fine LP it becomes a drag towards the end and just doesn’t have enough interesting qualities to justify an entire 1/3rd of the disc’s length. But with that slight snag aside, Strange Days shapes up as a quality release by a band that were riding higher than most contemporary artists could hope to, not to mention the fact that they could put out something as unique and challenging as this piece can sometimes be, just months after their legendary debut - further testament to its worth if any were needed.

Metronomy Love LettersTemples Sun Structures
Bombay Bicycle Club So Long, See You TomorrowOasis Dig Out Your Soul
Oasis Don't Believe the TruthOasis Heathen Chemistry
4.3
Matthijs van der Lee (4)
While it may not match their debut, Strange Days was an excellent follow-up, and features The Doors ...

The Hypnotist (4.5)

AnyColour74 (4)

Kingadamx (4)

April 11th 2012

Kinda returning to what has now become a review of The Doors' studio discography.

I reviewed their previous album a while back, if you missed it or whatever, just hop on my profile if you're bored and wanna read it.

NeutralThunder12

nice.

when the musics over is amazing

Ire

need

MoosechriS

when the musics over is amazing [2]

Love this album, love the doors and everything they did

DominionMM1
April 11th 2012

I've always thought this band was just a bit overrated, but a good release nonetheless.

MO

album rules

xfearbefore

5ordie.

Nah, just kidding, good review. Nearly as brilliant as their first album. Nearly.

MO
April 11th 2012

People are Strange is such a good song

Archelaos
April 11th 2012

I really like the articulation in your reviews. Great work.

SgtPepper
April 11th 2012

Fantastic review, you do this album justice. Pos'd

April 11th 2012

Thanks for the praise, those who gave.

Trampumpoolee
April 11th 2012

For me it's better than their previous. I think some of criticism a self titled album got reasonably and the "Strange days" is a step up imho. Amazing album. I should give more atention sooner for The Doors - some people were like "hits is enough from the Doors" -no...

tarkus

best doors

Cipieron

my fav doors album

if not for Horse Latitudes (not really a song anyway) this would probably be a 5.. hm might push this up actually

The7thVermicide
April 11th 2012

This one of their best works ,but their first album will be my favorite one ,anyways the doors releases were very good

Good Review.

SCREAMorphine
April 11th 2012

Great review, great album.

Pos

Graveyard

nice spot on rating

I Can't See Your Face In My Mind is one of my favs from this

Digging: Nurse With Wound - Spiral Insana

Irving
April 12th 2012

Major Tom, your reviews, apart from being an education in and of themselves, are essentially a bucket list of bands that I really should be listening to and simply haven't had the time/chance/opportunity to.

Thanks again guys.

Irving, use the reviews section on my profile as your musical to do list haha.

Tyrael

20900 Comments

Ah man, if only you'd review more recent albums then I'm sure they'd make you contrib in no time

Tom4Contrib2012