Demon Hunter
True Defiance

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
April 11th, 2012 | 78 replies | 20,211 views

Review Summary: they finally get it right

It's the moment Ryan Clark let's his voice go when the bridge hits in "Tomorrow Never Comes". It's the dark alleys hidden in each song sparking a truly hollow feeling. And it's that question that creeps in and you wonder, "Are Demon Hunter, finally, worth taking seriously?" There are a lot of things worth criticizing about True Defiances' creators, as always, but at this point, six albums in, come to find it's pointless to continue the tirades against the now Christian Metalcore staple. So the positives, and trust me, there are plenty, are definitely what gives this album a fucking pulse. Songs dive into deep, murky regions that are surprising (for Demon Hunter). Solos abound and drumming that is worthy of some respectable notification; the answer to The Triptych, and then some, is here.

Stronghold opener Crucifix is the best thing the band has ever done - period. It's an excellent pacesetter; annihilating drum fills and Mr. Clark pouring out his best vocal performance in years; it casually banishes the last two wretched albums Demon Hunter dared release - yes, one song defeats a five year slump for the band. And it continues. "God Forsaken" is a lovely piece made menacing thanks to another stable drum performance and Clark singing his heart out. It's a welcome reprieve to the awful hooks the band has been swinging with for quite some time. New addition Jeremiah Scott brings new breath to the near stumbling band, shooting a smooth rhythm section below (lots) of chugging as well as smoother transitions in songs, "God Forsaken", "This I Know" and "Dead Flowers".

I was once willing to declare Ryan Clark the reason Demon Hunter would never evolve beyond their clumsy use of melody and faux metal. I've not been happier to eat words this year. To avoid the rabid fanboy line one only needs to hear the blatant "shutthefuckup" of "My Destiny" and then proceed from there. As always his cleans are sly and nearly nonchalant about their usefulness. But it's the bands', and clearly his, intent to prove a heaviness factor this time around. Several tracks are bold and not simply, "wow that's loud", but almost abrasive way. The hook that appears in "Wake" after a crippling introduction is a blindside if not an all out attack.

It's actually in an excellent place to discuss what Demon Hunter finally get right. The choruses are back to being worth stuck in your head, cool, but it's the instances where they take tracks in a total 359 that sets True Defiance above what they've accomplished. There's one ballad, misleading to those who'd call this a ballad band, but it's understandable when you realize that this isn't even a top heavy album everything past "Tomorrow Never Comes" (arguably the one ballad, not considering the outrageous bridge) is damn good. Not unusual, we have several songs whose meanings are near meaningless but each evolution within covers up the cheek well.

There's not a lot I can condemn on True Defiance. The worst excuse possible to use in a review is telling you you'll already know if you'd enjoy an album or not. But seriously, Ke$ha fans aren't typing Demon Hunter into their Bing search bars any time soon, and fans already were probably lined up outside their nearest ChristianBook store a week before this was released so I feel weak in compelling souls to give True Defiance a try. For those who've ignored Demon Hunter since they started playing jokes on the musical world 5 years ago I can only say they've strengthened their punch(lines).

Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here
Chevelle La GargolaVales Wilt And Rise
Nero Di Marte Nero Di MartePolygons Rifts

fromtheinside
April 10th 2012

don't even know how this came out sounding so happy about a dh album. but whatever.

album is miles ahead of what i expected after their last two laughably bad albums i figured kudos were in order.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

April 10th 2012

Good review, have a pos. The tracks they released previously didn't do anything for me, but somene put the album up on Youtube and I like what I've heard so far. The chorus in God Forsaken is pretty great. Clark's screams still don't do anything for me though, and his cleans only sound good when they aren't overproduced and layered.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

guitarnater
April 10th 2012

Demon Hunter used to be my favorite band because they essentially introduced me to metal. I've grown up since then....

I'm not sure if I'm just really tired right now, but this reads a little higher than a 3.5.

April 11th 2012

Well I've gone through the whole thing once now, working on my second listen. This is the best they've sounded in a long time, maybe ever. I might actually get this. The cleans from Clark are fantastic on most of the album. I really wish his harsh vocals were more powerful, but at least he tried to expand them a bit this time around.

fromtheinside

Oh yeah it definitely reads in a 4 range but I still know its not

Yeah crucifix seriously sold me immediately

guitarnater
April 11th 2012

Agreed, Crucifix works really well compared to what they've put out recently.
I'm glad that this is at least one comprehensive effort rather than just a bunch of half-decent songs sloppily thrown together like TWIAT.

EvoHavok
April 11th 2012

Very well written review. This really is better than previous works imo.

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Burai Houjou

lol

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

D41V30N
April 11th 2012

Review is spot on. Solid content.

This is undoubtedly the best Demon Hunter record ever released. I seriously thought that they'd never be able to top the Triptych before. But this is great stuff. Glad to see one of my old favorite bands finally starting to grow up.

Tyrael

20742 Comments

I loved the triptych but I haven't checked out their later material

will I like this?

great review btw

xist
April 11th 2012

The review is great but that sentence doesn't make sense. Perhaps eliminate "way" altogether and use something along the lines of "...in their delivery."

April 11th 2012

Tyraelxy, yes you'll probably like this one, it doesn't quite have the same feel as the Triptych but it's definitely on the same level as it enjoyability-wise.

IAmInsect
April 11th 2012

this is definitely their best album in awhile.

Duckman118
April 11th 2012

One of the best albums this year for sure. I love Clarcks high vocals in Someone to Hate and his cleans in I Am A Stone. Not a bad or boring song on the album. And their solos? Fucking intense stuff.

Cells

gay band

Emim
April 11th 2012

His screams are finally getting better

Tyrael

20742 Comments

obligatory Emim post on christian band thread

Emim
April 11th 2012

Credit where credit is due...but yeah

UnnamedOcean
April 11th 2012

My fondest memory of this band is listening to them in the car with my friend and getting so annoyed by the nonstop double bass that I almost yelled at him to turn it off.

TenSecondsToThink
April 11th 2012

I don't think they will ever change their type of band, but they're definetly getting better at it.