Drawn And Quartered
Extermination Revelry

by VisionsFromTheDarkSide USER (26 Reviews)
April 10th, 2012 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The soundtrack for walking through the fiery depths of hell while simultaneously having your dick mutilated and your ass pummeled by Satan himself.

There are always going to be bands or artists within music that slip under the radar and go largely un-noticed to listeners everywhere. This can be for a number of reasons, such as the record label the band are with, the inaccessibility of the music, or even through personal choice from band members. Perhaps one would argue that this is good for music genres such as death metal, as it helps to keep the band underground and they therefore are less likely to succumb to mainstream pressure.
A fine example of a band that makes great music and still don’t get much recognition at all is Seattle quartet Drawn and Quartered. This band has pretty much everything they need to compete with the heavyweights of the death metal genre; they have an awesome and distinctive band name, some cool album artwork, but most importantly, the quality of music is certainly very high. Naturally one would question why, after releasing six albums, this band still goes largely unheard of (the fact that at the time of writing, they only have a grand total of 24 votes for 6 albums on this website really sums this up).

Musically, Drawn and Quartered sound like the lovechild of New York bands Immolation and Incantation. The guitars are capable of ripping the listener’s face off with their brutal and certainly very memorable riffs, and pinch harmonics are vast in quantity, yet not at all overused. This gives the album a real apocalyptic feeling to it, similar to that of the type of atmosphere in which Immolation created in their huge success, ‘Close to a World Below’. The solos here are very well executed, finding the balance between melody and technicality, which many modern day death metal bands struggle to do.
As well as the guitars, the drums are excellent too, often thundering away with blast beats and double bass, but also slowing down and focusing more on keeping the rest of the instruments in time when needed. The bass for the most part is fairly audible, although at times buried beneath the onslaught of guitars and drums, while the vocals are deep and well executed, if not slightly monotonous (the vocalist sounds very similar to Ross Dolan of Immolation). Although the vocals are great, perhaps a bit more variety (such as high pitched shrieks, or at least a less monotonous sound) is needed to make the album as good as it can be.

The main problem with this album is that it drags on a little, especially to first time listeners. This is partly because of the monotony of the vocals, but also because the songs sound slightly ‘samey’ and hard to distinguish. Sure, there are variations with some tracks here (such as certain songs taking a slower tempo approach, like most of ‘Incinerated Faithful’), but there’s just not enough variation, and the listener might easily become bored. An example would be ‘Worshippers of Total Death’; a song which clocks in at over seven minutes but doesn’t manage to change much dynamically.

However, if you are an experienced listener of death metal then this shouldn’t matter much, as the album overall is really quite excellent. Whereas Seattle has produced very big bands over the past that are arguably over-rated, in Drawn and Quartered they have produced a band which has the opposite problem; their music is excellent, but they get hardly any recognition, which is a shame, because as ‘Extermination Revelry’ shows, they really deserve it.

Phobocosm DeprivedDiocletian Gesundrian
Maveth / Embrace of Thorns A Plague Through the HeavensMaveth Coils of the Black Earth
Coffinworm IV.I.VIIISport Bon Voyage

2009 Comments

Tried to make the summary as m/ as possible

Digging: Rishloo - Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth

Eclecticist

Oathbreaker

So is this good

2009 Comments

"This is a good review but I kind of would have liked to read more criticism and seen a better wrap up in the conclusion. Pos though, well done."

Thank you, yeah I agree this was a very weak conclusion, might go back and change it actually

certainly very memorable riffs

April 10th 2012

pinch harmonics are vast in quantity...

yet not at all overused

is this a hawks review

no that's not hawks man

Good review sir. Pos based on the summary alone haha.

2009 Comments

"is this a hawks review"
No it's just that when I'm writing reviews I get all pretentious I admit.

"no that's not hawks man

Good review sir. Pos based on the summary alone haha.

This bands solid. Heard prolly all there albums but you've made me wanna spin this again. Will do :]"

Thanks man, yeah had to have some sort of m/ summary for this aha. And this is the only one I've heard so far, I'm gonna try listening to their whole discography

April 10th 2012

Their all pretty solid, I'd rec starting with their first LP and checking them all out in chronological order. Overall I'd rate their entire discog from 3.5-4.

2009 Comments

Sweet, I'll be sure to give it all a listen

Josh D.
April 10th 2012

So is there a sign up sheet because I'm into some weird shit.

ShadowRemains
April 10th 2012

I like this and Hail Infernal Darkness the most out of their catalogue, great band overall though

evilford
October 18th 2013

great band yeah, this and HID are amazeballs

2009 Comments

Man haven't jammed this in a while

evilford
October 18th 2013

just did today, so great