Emmure
Slave to the Game

2.0
poor

by Mark James Irwin USER (8 Reviews)
April 9th, 2012 | 132 replies | 20,620 views

Review Summary: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In the official “So, you want to play Metalcore?” guide (see Essence’s review for Felony for more info), the last step details how bros should wait for a year and a half to two years to release another album. Well, Emmure failed to heed that particular piece of advice, because fourteen months after 2011’s crap-tastic Speaker of the Dead, we’re treated to Slave to the Game. So after all this time, after all of the bro jokes and breakdown jokes, is anything different on Slave to the Game? Yes and no, with no far outweighing the yes.

As if you had any doubt, there are still breakdowns aplenty. The guitarists once again spend most of the record churning out binary code (0-0-1-0); however, on songs such as “Protoman” and “MDMA”, some melodic breaks and riffs are thrown in to keep things interesting. Despite the lack of originality behind said riffs, they fit the songs well and are actually a breath of fresh air from the plodding chugging that has plagued Emmure throughout their career. New drummer Mark Castillo (Between The Buried And Me, Bury Your Dead, Crossfade) does a decent job, but doesn’t really stand out from the rest of his bandmates. Once again, the bass is nearly inaudible, but it’s not really a big deal when it’s following the same rhythmic patterns. The band also embraces electronics on the album, but some songs overstay their welcome because of this (“Umar Dumps Dormammu” relies almost exclusively on electronics and samples, making it the worst track on the record).

Regarding the album and song titles, Emmure (most notably vocalist Frankie Palmeri) satisfies their love of video games on this record, having had a couple of songs from Speaker of the Dead dedicated to Street Fighter (notably “Demons With Ryu” and “Last Words To Rose”). However, that’s about the extent of it, as the lyrics (the ones I could make out, anyway) cover the usual topics of fighting bros, teaming up with bros to fight other bros, and bros going through the motions (sorry, brotions) of life. Frankie’s vocals on the record alternate from his usual high-low bipolarity, and Fred Durst-esque talking, which sounds a lot more out of place than it usually does (on “MDMA”, Frankie keeps insisting that “he tried his f**king best”). The good news is that there don’t appear to be any lyrics pertaining to d**k sucking, so that’s a plus.

Overall, Slave to the Game sees Emmure finally taking the steps needed to improve their sound, but it’s still not enough to escape their clichés that so many people have criticized them for. Ridden with clichéd lyrics, awkwardly placed vocals, tedious chugging, and annoying electronics, Slave to the Game winds up being just another album rather than the career-defining record Emmure chose not to make. In essence, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Better luck next year, bros.

Kid Rock Rebel SoulAxeWound Vultures
Solace (CAN) Call & ResponseGhost Machine Hypersensitive
Indorphine Glowsticks For Clubbing Baby SealsBury Your Dead Mosh n' Roll
poor
Brendan Schroer (0.5)
I tried. I really tried....

thanosreigns585 (5)
Pure, unadulterated passion....

Rory Amoy (3)
Emmure make a statement with this video game inspired release, but show slight signs that they are b...

April 9th 2012

I tried my fucking best, bros.

Tyrael

20825 Comments

this isn't all that bad

MeatSalad

pos'd my nigga

Digging: Mr. Bungle - California

April 9th 2012

It wasn't as ear-numbingly awful as I thought it would be, surprisingly.

KrissWatts
April 9th 2012

Nice review man. I'm ever so tempted to listen, it's just the fucking song titles and knowing that Frankie has some 'spiritual' attachment to Streetfighter... Ubergay

But yeah, Pos'd bro

April 9th 2012

The love for video games isn't as blatant on this record as it was on Speaker of the Dead, but the words "fuck" and "bitch" are present! Thanks, btw.

Fluttertrank
April 9th 2012

yeah pos'd. this band just sucks bro

RobbaqPL
April 9th 2012

'The guitarists once again spend most of the record churning out binary code (0-0-1-0)'

Ha!

April 9th 2012

Pos'd There's no dick sucking lyrics? aoty!

April 9th 2012

Protoman and especially MDMA are killer tracks

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

fsupride
April 9th 2012

How did MMF manage to get a spot in the recommendations?

April 9th 2012

@bloc Yeah, those are probably the two best songs Emmure have done in their entire career to date.

@fsupride The amount of breakdowns and electronics reminded me a lot of "The Hollow", except "The Hollow" actually had some good melodies and vocals.

April 9th 2012

Definitely agree with that. This band needs to keep up with the melodic guitar work, they seem to know how to use it quite well.

TooLateToGoBack

great review.

maybe in ten years they'll release a 4.0 record.

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

April 9th 2012

Frankies bro-growls are so bad. Caleb Schomo had better growls on This Means Penis.

TooLateToGoBack

great review.

maybe in ten years they'll release a 4.0 record.

April 9th 2012

Ya when Planet of the Bros happens.

xfearbefore
April 9th 2012

My boss loves this band, which is strange because he usually has impeccable taste in metalcore/post-hardcore/screamo. Tried listening to one of their albums and it was just awful, then discovered they're apparently the most reviled "bro-core" band around.

April 9th 2012

"Ya when Planet of the Bros happens."

I hate every band in vain
Most notably, Acacia Strain
No you'll never make a monkey out of me
Bro my god, I was wrong
It was Rise all along
You finally made a monkey
(Yes we finally made a monkey)
Yes, you finally made a monkey out of meeeeee

fuckin lol!