Andy James
Andy James

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
April 9th, 2012 | 22 replies | 4,157 views

Review Summary: An instrumental solo album from a renowned youtube guitarist that feels nothing like your typical boring solo album.

Originally starting out as a YouTube hit, Andy James gained mass popularity warranted by his amazing abilities on the electric guitar. Although many may think of Andy as a new solo artist, he has actually been creating solo albums since 1999 and his latest self named released “Andy James” is actually his fourth LP to date. Andy’s musical inspirations are Andy Timmons, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, and Adam Dutkiewicsz. His musical style really shows his passion and fire for writing powerful upfront music that is also full of emotion which affirms his response to an interview question where he said “The immediate response is what it’s all about”.

Andy has his own electrifying unique sound and style which adds to the diversity of his music that ranges from up tempo metal songs to ballads. It is clear that Andy believes a good song is one that tells a story and has a strong melodic approach. It is these qualities that really caught my attention. With so many solo artist’ it’s hard to separate the good from bad and trust me I’ve heard them all. But Andy’s approach is different. While many guitarist write music that is beautiful they lack the fire and drive of metal artist while other metal artist have plenty of fire and drive but lack the emotional factors like Jeff Loomis. Andy strikes a perfect balance between the intensities you’ll find with Jeff Loomis’ sweeps, tremolos, and tapping but all the while stabilizing the fury with heartfelt meaningful emotions from the likes of Andy Timmons and Paul Gilbert.

Andy’s writing style is extremely refined and perfected. “Gateways” shows his impeccable legato techniques which are basically the ability to continuously without let up, play note after note without pausing in between. His leads and harmonies add so much depth to the musical passages without oppressing the listener with monotony. It’s as if Andy has somehow reached a superior level over his inspirational counterparts. This is obviously due to insatiable desire to impress the listener with enjoyable music and make you forget that you are actually listening to an instrumental album. Each songs has typical song structures like bridges, chorus’, interludes, hooks, and crescendos which are much different than other solo artist’ who like to just play solos over backing rhythms. I believe these apparent song structures are Andy’s success to a strong fourth LP release.

Not only do songs strike a perfect balance between intensity and emotion but each song is very different from the other in both structure and feel which also allow this LP to be listened to effortlessly from beginning to end. Some tracks like “What Lies Beneath” and “Seperation” and softer ballads that build into exciting epic moments while “Bullet in the Head” and “Angel of Darkness” are more along the lines of straight up metal but each track always feels like it was placed perfectly in the album to give the greatest level of musical fluidity.

You must trust that I’ve almost every single solo instrumental album there is to hear and I’m a strong skeptic who finds almost all of them passable but this latest release by Andy James has broken those boring monotonous molds and breathes enjoyable life into such a lackluster and stagnant genre. Do yourself a favor and listen to this and you’ll find this album will in turn do favors for you.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence
4.4

April 9th 2012

I have to reaffirm this again. This is not your typical boring instrumental solo album. This album is good from beginning to end and doesn't get boring like most other instrumentals out there.

Check this now. He's a youtube dominating guitarist so all tracks are super easy to find on there. Enjoy :]

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

April 9th 2012

Also I feel Andy's music is better than anything solo work Jeff Loomis has ever done.

Eclecticist

April 9th 2012

Another great written review. Have a well deserved pos.
Also in the second paragraph, you forgot an "S", in the line:
"With so many solo artist' it’s hard to separate the good from bad."

April 9th 2012

"Pos, I liked the amount of detail in your review a lot. I am probably going to check this out later today."

Thanks man, I hope you enjoy as much as I do. I know sputnik isn't always into metal solo instrumental albums and neither am I for the most part but this is very good and breaks those borings molds all the other bands follow.

"Another great written review. Have a well deserved pos.
Also in the second paragraph, you forgot an "S", in the line:
"With so many solo artist' it’s hard to separate the good from bad.""

Thanks bro! Yeah I've been doing that alot. I forget the grammar rules. I thought you could just use an apostrophe without always putting the actual "s" down. I did it intentionally but can you confirm if that's wrong. I'd be more than happy to fix it.

April 9th 2012

The man is a MONSTER player. Everyone on Lick Library kicks so much ass.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

seedofnothing

April 9th 2012

"I thought you could just use an apostrophe without always putting the actual "s" down. I did it intentionally but can you
confirm if that's wrong. I'd be more than happy to fix it.
"
- Oh I didnt know that you could that, just forgot it then. I forgot to Pos you after my first read, so i just did it. sorry about that.
But anyway, great review mate. as always.

April 9th 2012

"The man is a MONSTER player. Everyone on Lick Library kicks so much ass"

yeah bro his live online videos are incredible. He gives good lessons too

"Good review and pos. Yeah this guy shreds a ton of ass. But I really liked how you brought out that he's just there to shred he also wants to create a moment as well. Cool Stuff"

thanks man I appreciate that

"Oh I didnt know that you could that, just forgot it then. I forgot to Pos you after my first read, so i just did it. sorry about that.
But anyway, great review mate. as always."

no worrys haha but thanks tho man!! hope you enjoy this if you decide to check it out. I really couldn't see anyone couldn't enjoy this. On top of being good it's highly accessible too.

ikarus
April 9th 2012

he writes way better passages than loomis, similar to vinnie moore imo

April 9th 2012

I agree 100% I didn't think to compare Vinnie but now that you say you're totally right.

Yeah he has the tech ability of Jeff with ease but is sooo much more mature about his song writing.

KjSwantko
April 9th 2012

Good review Capt, glad to see you checkin' out all those guitarists I rec'd ya (I think it was you). Posd

April 9th 2012

Thanks man!! I don't think it was me because I know of most of them but I did first hear of Andy Timmons from you though.

This is an awesome album and I thought it was cool that Timmons was one of Andy Jame's inspirational guitarist'

KjSwantko
April 9th 2012

Word. Those "recommended by reviewer" albums are 4 are that I always recommend to people, so that's why I thought i told you. Good stuff though.

April 9th 2012

Oic yeah those are good albums with the exception of Jeff's Rusty's being below the other two in rating but all still good.

I know you love the solo instrumentals bro and I actually thought of you while reviewing this album :] clean thoughts though ;]

ZedO
April 10th 2012

wow, luckily you review it, captain! he is youtube star anyway. I have some of his videos saved in my laptop. pos!

April 10th 2012

I checked him out.... this guy is sick. his dexterity is amazing, he's gonna be big.

@Zedo - oh hey thanks bro :]

@ PaperbackWriter - yeah totally skilled in every way. His accents and gusto are so fresh and
innovative as in:

just effortlessly it kills me, right at 2:24 and beyond

xist

All i can think of when i read this is http://www.sputnikmusic.com/blog/?p=7376

April 10th 2012

yeah that would be pretty cool to see them both together, I like andy over john but their both good and would put on an amazing awesome sick show