Job for a Cowboy
Demonocracy

good

by Abrogation USER (3 Reviews)
April 6th, 2012 | 91 replies | 17,117 views

Review Summary: Job for a Cowboy’s Demonocracy is another logical step in the right direction, although swimming in a pool growing stale.

Demonocracy is Job for a Cowboy’s third full-length album, and once again offers an increasingly mature and solid album. However, despite this, the band is plagued with unoriginality in a genre which is slowly becoming stale. Do not be fooled, Demonocracy will in no way offer revolutionary music.

There is no denying that guitarists Al Glassman and Tony Sannicandro are adept at playing their instruments. They offer technical riffs, reminiscent of many modern Technical Death Metal bands today. If it had not been for the mass of similar bands in the genre there is no doubt the guitar-work would be highly praised. However, Al and Tony’s guitar-work is simply not impressive enough to be prominent in a genre crowded with superiority. Technicality and prowess is only a prerequisite for success in this modern genre, memorability and distinctiveness is what sets great bands apart from run of the mill bands and this is where Job for a Cowboy gets it wrong. With that said, the twin guitarists definitely have their moments; creating a handful of memorable riffs and occasionally performing outstanding solos. Nevertheless this aptitude is not shown throughout the album, rather only in infrequency, which brings the album down a notch. Meanwhile, Nick Schendzielos is not utilized to his potential on bass, a flaw which appeared to be dying out of the Death Metal genre with bands like Spawn of Possession leading the way. Job for a Cowboy, however, has reignited the cliché, bringing about questions of the role Nick plays in the band.

Jon Rice is a major positive for the band, employing rapid blast beats and double bass in juxtaposition with slower groovy beats. Jon also shows he is not there simply to accompany the other instruments, often taking the spotlight for himself in songs such as Nourishment Through Bloodshed and The Manipulation Stream. Vocalist Jonny Davy has always been a highlight of the band. Some may argue his vocals are irritating, but at best Jonny brings a unique vocal style to the genre by means of his variation and range. While highly criticized, it is disappointing Jonny has deserted his former signature pig-squeal. When used in moderation, it brought yet another range and variation to the table and further established Jonny as a unique vocalist in the Death Metal genre.

Job for a Cowboy has created a solid Death Metal release, showing potential for future releases. However, they are congested in a dull genre, and seem to find it difficult to be distinct.

Recommended Tracks:

good

Abrogation

Album is streaming here:

April 6th 2012

look upon me i am the beast demonomania, demonomania, demonomania my father was a wolf demonomania,
demonomania, demonomania my mother was a whore you check and see we aren't like other wolves it's in the blood i
wanna be the fucking savior humans are weak what else you fucking do humans are weak i went to hell demonomania,
demonomania, demonomania my father was a wolf demonomania, demonomania, demonomania my mother was a whore
demonomania, demonomania, demonomania my mother was a whore demonomania, demonomania, demonomania my
father was a wolf

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

ITsHxCTOASTER

I have a feeling this is probably not a 3.5

April 6th 2012

It's between a 3 and 3.5. Ruination is better though.

Fluttertrank
April 6th 2012

i remember when this band was scenecore, just shows that this scene music is dying. hopefully.

Digging: Xanthochroid - Blessed He With Boils

Nocturnal
April 6th 2012

These guys were way better as deathcore band.

Digging: The Contortionist - Exoplanet

bloozclooz
April 6th 2012

album is a solid 2.5. not bad, but not good either. a 3.5 is giving them way too much credit. you even said that in your review

AtomicShane
April 6th 2012

this is sooo boring to listen too

Digging: For The Fallen Dreams - Heavy Hearts

Tyrannic
April 6th 2012

it seems like every album is 'a step in the right direction.'

START RUNNING DAMNIT

MO
April 6th 2012

genesis is their best i'll stick with that

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

Devastator

Black Discharge.

Digging: Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Ending
April 6th 2012

I enjoy the recommendations, so I guess I'm going to have to listen to this.

Nocturnal

Painfully boring

April 6th 2012

Still better than a lot of other death metal albums being shit out today. My two cents anyway.

ITsHxCTOASTER
April 6th 2012

I don't think you're listening to the right death metal then macadoo. I mean as far as I know we're not swimming in good death metal now and I'm no expert, but I have quite a few good modern death metal albums that are probably much better than this

April 6th 2012

Can you post some suggestions in my shoutbox? It's probably because I've been digging the shit out of modern folk and alt rock for the past few months.

I am going to end up reducing my 3 to a 2.5 or a 2, I can already feel it. I still like "Black Discharge" though (worst sentence to be taken out of context).

TooLateToGoBack
April 7th 2012

Really enjoyed the album on first listen.

paxman
April 7th 2012

"Do not be fooled, Demonocracy will in no way offer revolutionary music."

Dagnabbit I was fooled

Fluttertrank
April 7th 2012

oh man pax, you fucking crack me up.

InFiction
April 7th 2012

Album's pretty much the same stuff they always put out. Not bad, but nothing that will want me to listen through it again.