Disgrace
Grey Misery

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
April 4th, 2012 | 27 replies | 2,431 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Death Metal that is pure and true and honest and good and just and upright.

Although “Disgrace “is the name of this band, such connotations are just the opposite in reflecting their impact on the death metal genre as a whole. Disgrace is not only one of the best death metal albums to come out during the year of 1992 but they are completely an influential deity to death metal junkies and artist’ alike. Their music was well ahead of their time and they set the genre very high on what death metal was capable of doing. While many artist’ of the genre feel that death metal is all about brutality and brute strength, which is true, Disgrace proves that having enjoyable groove and well fitting fancy licks is just as important. Their first LP release of “Grey Misery” is not only here to rip your head off but they want your happy feet to be dancing during the execution.

The production of “Grey Misery” is a cool highlight. Crusty guitar riffs with more than audible bass hits you at every turn. The constant prodding of tech fist and militant licks in “Obscurity in the Azure” lace your mind with enjoyability, excitement, and prospective desires. It’s as if you’re constantly being welcomed to musical build up’s that never fail to deliver, as the song progresses without yielding the aggression it began with. The Finnish guitar attacks of Thee Stranius and Anton Kupias are extremely enjoyable. Their execution of riffs is highly reminiscent of styles from free form jazz guitarist’; not to the degree of “non-structure” but to the degree of innovation and originality, pointing to a high degree of creativity. The grooves are also highly suggestive of groovy jazz and blues riffs but obviously taken to the degree to pass for aggressive death metal. Drummer Miska Koski always keep the fire burning and drives riffs with slamming cymbal blast’ and razor sharp blast best and double bass. His performance on “The Chasm” really holds the songs structure together where the riffs alone could be a bit boring, but in this case Miska fills every void with innovative drum patterns and unexpected switch ups like blast beats to jazz patterns to odd tempos.

It was quite enjoyable and interesting going over the lyrical content of “Disgrace”. While most lyrics such as “I’m starting lifelessness to nothing” and “everybody has disappeared in vanity” give a strong sense of bleakness while other lyrics like “the silhouette of faith, the wall of sourness, a vortex in a blazing pitch” reek of blasphemy. Whatever the case may be the music always gives a supporting emotion to the dynamic lyrical approach the extreme gutturals of deceased vocalist Thee Stranius.

If you want to hear a classic osdm album this is the one to go for. Surprisingly, certain musical death metal websites do little to promote the best the genre has to offer which is why this album has been greatly overlooked. “Grey Misery” shows what the genre is capable of as well as pointing to innovative musical patterns like the incorporation of jazz/death riffs and unconventional outlooks. Do yourself a favor and get this now.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

enjoy hard

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

ThroneOfAgony
April 3rd 2012

sounds good. album cover looks pretty rad. will check and shit. and f'ing posd

April 3rd 2012

if you shit bro make sure there's a toilet nearby

:] thanks

Crysis
April 3rd 2012

great band, finnish dm is the best

Finnish>all others, for sure

Hyperion1001

great band, finnish dm is the best[2]

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

April 3rd 2012

yeah they don't own as hard as they used to nowadays imo but yeah one of the best or was

seedofnothing
April 3rd 2012

"Their first LP release of “Grey Misery” is not only here to rip your head off but they want your happy feet to be dancing during the execution."

haha good review pos. good band too

thanks brother man

April 4th 2012

thanks bro, and wow, 3.5? still a good rating but surprised as I'd think this should be at least a 4 but to each his own :]

turnip90210

ZedO
April 4th 2012

I love the summary, captain!

Eclecticist
April 4th 2012

Cool review, haven't heard this yet so I am getting it now.

April 4th 2012

"Check out Vol. 2, it continues their evolution. if you're pro-this, you should enjoy that record as well - orthodox death heads see Grey Misery as a gigantic step down from the demos (I don't)."

I actually did check it out the day you rev'd it. I didn't enjoy it all that much tbh.

"I love the summary, captain!"

thanks bro :]

"Cool review, haven't heard this yet so I am getting it now."

thanks man hope you dig it

"Well it was my first listen, and i've not heard too much finnish dm in my time. So who knows? Perhaps it'll grow on me."

hopefully it does bro, I've listened to hundreds of osdm albums and this is def a 4 in my book. Thanks for actually listening to it man.

Eclecticist
April 4th 2012

"thanks man hope you dig it"

...well they are no Coprophagia but I am sure I will hahahaha

haha dear god their not

ShadowRemains
November 12th 2012

20230 Comments

ItLoD rules so I guess I should hear this...although something tells me it won't be as good

evilford

damn this is awesome

Digging: Demilich - 20th Adversary of Emptiness

Hyperion1001
November 29th 2012

it got pressed on vinyl by 2 buck spin im gonna buy the fuck out of it once my next paycheck comes in

evilford

sweet

honestly this is kind of blowing me away