Sithu Aye
Isles

by Jacob R. STAFF
March 29th, 2012 | 89 replies

Review Summary: Sithu Aye’s latest EP Isles presents itself as a veritable breath of fresh air, a legitimately rewarding musical statement that both roars and soothes.

When I go ahead and mention to you that Sithu Aye’s music could be considered instrumental progressive, I wouldn’t be surprised if you replied with a brief rolling of the eyes. Go ahead; unleash that skepticism. Ask me if I’m even acutely aware of how creatively stagnant the genre has been these days - I won’t protest in the slightest, seeing as there’s certainly been a slumber of innovation in the genre as of late. The two premier torch-bearers, Animals as Leaders and Cloudkicker, ignited the flame that has steadily but surely kindled numerous musical movements across the global spectrum, and the prime characteristics of these movements have been fairly homogeneous as a whole. The paradox lies in the fact that inherently creative music is now being approached with a mechanical mindset; progressive musicians often summon artistic blossoming through decay of innovation. That’s been the chief concern of instrumental progressive junkies such as myself over the past few years, for nothing quite extraordinary has come of the scene lately.

A solution to this threat lies in what weapons we forget we have, though. In the vacant basements of aspiring musicians across the globe lie the ambitions of many, armed and loaded. With the advent of websites like Bandcamp and Soundcloud, there has come a massive flock to the newly arisen opportunity, presented through strategically used Rock Band mics and the modest speakers of Macs on about every college campus. And while this wealth of artistic output is intimidating to many, there are moments when it has led to truly great artists getting their chance in the spotlight. Sithu Aye, a Scottish progressive composer, has amassed quite the following in less than a year, and this rousing success can be attributed to the passion that his music exudes. Despite his obvious ability to muster up truly incredible solos and complex riffs, the rather humble musician never bites off more than he can chew, whilst still taking risks when the music demands. Aye’s latest EP Isles presents itself as a veritable breath of fresh air, a legitimately rewarding musical statement that both roars and soothes.

Capitalizing on the most impressive moments of full-length Cassini while honing its mettle even further, Isles is a shining example of how an already cohesive musical equation can always be improved. The overall style of the record emphasizes the groove-oriented melodies that Aye found himself accentuating in his past, while only occasionally dabbling in the more djent, rhythm-oriented realm. The formula is more conservatively balanced, and leans towards ideas that Aye is much more capable of powerfully expressing. And surprisingly, this EP reveals a few flaws that existed on Cassini, an already huge album itself. Perhaps the greatest method towards judging an album’s merit is its capability of outranking other highly esteemed releases; in this case, Isles receives only the highest marks.

On another note, the underlying landmark concept of Isles is an eerily accurate depiction of what makes it so strikingly potent. Instead of shooting for the stars like he did with Cassini, Sithu Aye strikes gold by expanding on what he’s musically witnessed first-hand. He knows his limits, and finds that by remaining tethered to his primal instincts he is able to obtain a more extensive view of what exactly he wants his musical future to consist of.

The Contortionist LanguageMaybeshewill Fair Youth
Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade
zyglrob (4.5)

Stream: http://sithuayemusic.bandcamp.com/album/isles-ep

Best thing of 2012 thus far.

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

I think you should check it out, SputVictor ;]

March 28th 2012

Intro stupid? Pah! It's great stuff though, Skye's fantastic.

March 28th 2012

Yeah dude, Mull's definitely the highlight here. That main chorus riff is so unbelievably catchy - I can't get enough of it, no matter how many times I listen. Glad to hear you enjoy it so much, man

March 28th 2012

yeah this is a lot more groove-oriented, as opposed to a lot of other bands in the scene. it's refreshing, and way more memorable than i expected it to be

March 28th 2012

Good! Spread the word, man. Since you're the champion of Sputnik, you can get this guy some fans :D

I wish this would get more views, because I know a ton of guys here would dig this.

March 29th 2012

Wow just listened to this off the link spread you put in Animals as Leaders thread

This is great stuff man thanks

All thanks to you and your recommendation, Potato :3

YOU BET YOUR SWEET ASS

static2dope
March 29th 2012

oh, another one of these bands

pos

Aight will do

March 29th 2012

Static - take a listen before thinking that, buddy-o! but thank ya :]

And sure thing jockstraps, you should indeed spread the word.

Word=spread like smallpox

Like a messy, rashy STD?

March 29th 2012

Like its fuckin every where

Like Godzilla ate taco bell and blew lava out his ass

Graphic but accurate

March 29th 2012

That's a flattering image, but for some reason I tend to think that those two things didn't exist at even close to the same times

I can pretend that they did for the sake of your hypothetical representation, though, if necessary.

Besides, a world in which Taco Bell existed alongside Godzilla is a world that I would likely want to live in

March 29th 2012

Hahaha so true dude jura has some very nice junz... I'm diggin this mucho. This guy should be more popular

March 29th 2012

If you like the "junz" here, you'll probably dig Cassini a lot. His debut is a bit more heavy/rhythmically oriented than this one is.

March 29th 2012

Cool it's nice to have something as refreshing as this... I also like the synth in the bonus track

North0House2

I love the album art.
Good review.
Sounds interesting.
Checked their bandcamp.
It's free.
I am one happy person right now. Gonna give this a listen.

Digging: This Will Destroy You - Another Language