Sentenced
Shadows of the Past

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
March 28th, 2012 | 31 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Sentenced began as a death metal band in 1989 and gradually evolved into a gothic/doom death metal band later in their career. After disbanding in 2005, Sentenced must have been satisfied with years of fruitful activity. While this Finish group went through many bassist’, which has always been pretty common with death metal bands, they’ve always laid out consistent albums one after the other. Sentenced never created an “over-the-top” amazing album before but each LP release contains something new and exciting in their catalogue. Spawning Sentenced’ well known status was the release of their first LP entitled “Shadows of the Past” which is known as one of their best albums, holding solid death metal with a exquisite bass heavy production and plenty of grooves to enjoyable aspects to go around.

“Shadows of the Past” brings to mind many notable death metal acts such as Death, Carcass, and even a bit of Dismember. Many of the solos and melody lines are very reminiscent of Chuck Schuldiner’s playing style, while many other riffing patterns bring to memory early grind formulas such as the ones death/grind band Carcass is known for. “Suffocated Beginning of Life” is a perfect example of these blended attributes as well as being a track that really brings out the audible bass as if you were listening to Scream Bloody Gore by Death. This same track is my favorite off “Shadows of the Past” due to the level of sexy classic riffs blended so well, inducing a Chuckgasm. Vocalist/bassist Taneli Jarva actually holds very similar characteristics to a blend of early Death and Obituary, yet his vocalist approach is more low toned which fits nicely over the already bass heavy production.

While the guitars and drums are very solid, they take the groovy less aggressive approach, rather than the more techy-brutal sides of death metal. Tracks like “When the Moment of Death Arrives” and “Disengagement” tend focus on a few set musical patterns that go through various motions of double bass to blast beats as the guitars favor changing tempos in an unforced-flowing kind of way. Some listeners may appreciate this or find it off putting if their looking for more up-tempo’d aggressive death formulas, but even the band Death didn’t focus on immense technicality[even though they were], yet they were very successful as a band. This less of an aggressive style should not be deterrence because Sentenced use the groovy passages to add a sense of catchiness that will draw the listener to focus on different compositional takes.

“Shadows of the Past” offers a solid run of death metal from beginning to end, with excellent compositions; but is nothing groundbreaking at the same time. It is, however, very much recommended for those who are looking for solid laid back old school death metal, with occasional moments of up tempo. Sentenced’ discography is solid and this album should spur the listener to check out the rest of their discography as Sentenced is anything but one-dimensional.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

keep the metal flowing

also, love the artwork for this

Hyperion1001

19067 Comments

album is pretty sweet, theres better finnish death though

Digging: Objekt - Objekt #2

March 28th 2012

I don't want to rag on you man, but this really needs a proofread. Too many spelling mistakes and typos are to be found here, you can do better than this. Also, you're using semicolons the wrong way, just sayin'.

As for the band, in a rather amusing fashion, the only album of theirs I have is the goth metal outing The Cold White Light, but hey, at least I like that one a fair bit haha.

March 28th 2012

agreed, I pointed the bands disposition out in the review

but it is worth listening too and osdm fans should def know about this band if they don't already

hey hyp did I hear word of a new Demilich album? or am I high?

March 28th 2012

@ metal - really? crap I didn't catch any, I was iffy about the semicolons, do you rec' I just use comas instead?

also, cool glad you liked the metal/goth era, whether Sentenced is doing st8 up dm or the blend of goth into it, they seem to be pretty consistent.

March 28th 2012

do you rec' I just use comas instead?
In this review, yes, replace the two semicolons with regular commas.

NocteDominum
March 28th 2012

Thought about picking this up, still not completely satisfied that I should.

Hyperion1001

19067 Comments

its pretty good

and idk, i havent heard of a new demilich album

March 28th 2012

"In this review, yes, replace the two semicolons with regular commas."

cool thanks will do

"Thought about picking this up, still not completely satisfied that I should"

I believe dis-banded members can still recieve proceeds so if you wana support u can but I won't lie i dl'd it

@hyp - gotcha, k wanted to confirm, guess it was a rumor going around

Eclecticist
March 28th 2012

I think this is the lowest rating that you have ever given a death metal album in one of your reviews.

March 28th 2012

Yeah I tend to avoid reviewing albums that I wouldn't recommend a person to actually listen too. However I have rev'd a very small number of non-dm albums below a 3.5.

Eclecticist
March 28th 2012

That's a shame man because it's always good to have that one hard-ass that rips an album a new one to give prospective listeners some insight.

March 28th 2012

gotcha, k wanted to confirm, guess it was a rumor going around
They were/are supposed to release a compilation album that has a few (read: I don't know exactly how many) new songs on it.

March 28th 2012

Mmm not sure what to really think of that. Sometimes those compilation records are serious failures and if they include a few new songs I fear they'll be either crap or make me want more which probably wouldn't happen for an even longer time. So I'm not really too excited for that but being a fan I would for sure check it out.

Willie
March 28th 2012

I've never heard this album, but North From Here is awesome. It's like the raw blueprint for what melodeath would eventually become.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

March 28th 2012

I've never heard this album, but North From Here is awesome.
Getting that now. I'm not sure if you have actually recommended it personally to me before, but I've definitely seen you namedrop it as one of the better melodeath pieces out there, yet for some reason I have not acquired it in the past.

Willie
March 28th 2012

It's hard to call it one of the better melodeath albums without it getting a little help from nostalgia, but it is definitely one of the originators. Heartwork is one of the better melodeath albums out there.

thanks bro

Crysis
March 28th 2012

Heard most of Sentenced's work but have not heard this one.

Ticondaroga
March 28th 2012

north from here gave me an early bodom vibe